LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2010, 08:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

Hello,
I am new to this forum. I found it trying to find some answers to my carb issue. I recently purchased a 1987 GL1200 Aspencade that had not run for years. I have been stripping the bike down and replacing what needs to be replaced (and cleaning out the birds and mice nests). I pulled my carbs to clean them out and replace vacuum and fuel lines. Got everything cleaned up and replaced the lines and plugged the carbs back in. No problems. The bike fired up quick and the engine seemed to run good, considering it had sat for so many years. I started smelling gas and noticed it was leaking out of the upper "T" fitting on the middle of the carbs. It was leaking pretty bad, not just a drip. I have nothing connected to these fittings. I can't find what they connect to. I have searched other forums and tech sites and the only thing i've found is that nothing connects to these tubes, that they are vent tubes. If so, why do I have gas dumping out of them? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Just to clarify, the "T" fittings that I am talking about are in the middle of both carbs on each side and on the top. It looks like they would accept 5/16" inch or so fuel/vacuum line. I do have the bottom "T" fitting connected to a line. Also, I've scoured the Haynes manual and all of the parts diagrams I can find and find anything to help.

Sorry for the long post.
Thanks,
Kevin
indykev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Post imported post

Welcome to the forum. What your looking at is the vent lines for the float bowls. They had rubber hoses running down behind the engine. If your getting fuel out of them you have your float height set wrong. It's to high, that is it's less than .30" or you have a stuck float valve. What's happening is the float bowl is overflowing and the gas is running out the vent. You said "the bike fired up quick". Did you need to use the choke? I would guess that if you pull the plugs they will be carboned up because your running rich.

Steve
Old 05-09-2010, 11:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

Hi Steve,
Thanks, Do you know of a good tutorial on here for checking and adjusting the float bowls?
Thanks,
Kevin
Old 05-10-2010, 12:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

Before you go to all the trouble of pulling the carbs off the bike and taking them apart you might try this. I had a 1200 with the same problem. I turned off the gas at the petcock and ran the engine until it died from fuel starvation. This allowed the stuck float valve to open all the way and dropped the floats for their full length of travel. When I turned the petcock back on I was lucky enough that the valve seated itself properly and the fuel leak stopped. It is definitely worth a try before you pull the carbs. Good luck- let us know what you find.
Randy Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: GL1200
Garage
Post imported post

mine had nothing connected to them, they are just vents for the float bowls, as the other guys said, your float valves might be stuck or the level is set extremely high
Old 05-10-2010, 06:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Post imported post

I would highly recommend that you invest in a factory service manual. You can find them on Ebay. There used to be copies on line but I think Honda shut that down.

Steve
Old 05-10-2010, 07:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

Post imported post

Thank you all very much. I have already pulled the carbs again and will check out the floats. BTW I purchased a fuel tank off of ebay. It was listed as the correct tank for my bike, but it turn out to be the fuel injected model. I am using the tank because it is in great condition. My old tank was NASTY. I have redone the plumbing where the fuel comes out of the bottom of the tank. Do I just cap off the fuel return? I am thinking this will take care of it.
Thanks again,
Kevin
Old 05-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate
Post imported post

Welcome to the forum, Kevin.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Post imported post

Thanks all for the replies and the welcome. My float were stuck, which makes sense on a bike that sat idle for 6 years with funky gas in it. I am going to check into that rebuild kit by Randakks. Anyone have any experience with it? From what i've read it is a popular kit with wingers.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: GL1200
Garage
Post imported post

i rebuilt my carbs with randakks kit, best money spent on my bike ever. send me your email and ill sent ya the carb chapters from the three manuals i have, all of them helped me a lot to get them done with no background experience.
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum