LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

I'm a new member from Waterloo, IA and have a question on how to install a factory Hondaline CB into my 1993 Aspencade. I have the Transceiver, ptt switches front and back, and the three noise filters required. I unfortunately don't have the harness that goes from the cb transceiver to the wing. I have read that a audio harness from a honda civic will fit, but have no idea on what wires to hook them up to on the bikes harness. Do i need two of these honda civic wire harnesses(one for the cb side-one for the bike harness side)? Then connect the two together. Or do i have to splice into the honda civic harness into the bikes existing harness somewhere? I am confused and don't want to burn anything up if i connect wires improperly. Thanks, Wingy
wingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2010, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Who the heck cares?

Goldwing Model: 88 GL1500
Post imported post

If memory serves me the harness connects from the back of the CB unit to the radio plugs at the front of the radio. You have to remove the radio shelter... you'll see the radio wires and the antenna lead attached at the front. The blank connectors are where the CB terminals fit.

I've heard the same thing about the Civic harness but don't know what part number works for the 1500.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

Thank you Rayworx. Do you know it the connection from the harness is the same at the radio and the cb? Do you think i need a ground from the cb?
Old 05-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1997 GL1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

Yes you need a ground from the CB. Normally one is attached to one of the mounting screws and then run to one of the mounting screws for the stereo. As far as the wiring harness, yes you need 2 of the adapters but just attach 2 together will not be long enough. You will need extra wire in between. Right at the top of this page, you will see the connector. Then you have to get a copy of the pinout to connect it properly. Let me do some digging and see what I can find.
Darkside Rear Tire- Austone 175R16
Double Darkside Front-Battl-Ax BT-45 130/70-18 rear mounted backwards
LED Dash Lights Mod
Sony Stereo CDX-M30 AM/FM/CD
5-1/4 Infinity Reference Dash Speakers
PLMRA400 400 Watt Amplifier
Modified Harley Davidson Ultra Glide Exhaust
2014 starting mileage- 60106
pwhoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Guru

Post imported post

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...=goldwing_tipshi if you go to the tips link you will see the instructions for fitting the cb also if you scroll down there is a link to the wireing diagram

I have had dreams and i have had nightmares i now dont have nightmares because of my dreams
agnogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Post imported post

Thanks PWHOEVER, that pinout would help greatly. Another question- I have another radio antenna mount, would that work for the cb antenna on the other side of the bike? I have a 3' standard cb antenna from radio shack that could be threaded to fit this mounting piece. Do you think this would function properly?
Old 05-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
Post imported post

The link on the Goldwing Facts page is a dead link. As far as adding a CB antenna using a radio mount instead of a CB mount, I would have to say probably not. The coax cable for radios is slightly different and I think you will have problems with SWR. And the kit comes with a grounding plate along with the proper CB antenna cable to attach to the CB radio. Years ago I made the mistake of just buying the antenna and picking up a AM/FM antenna extension cable to attach the antenna to the radio. The reception and transmission was horrible and the SWR's were lousy. I finally bought the proper Honda CB Antenna extension cable and all was better. One tip that I did was along with the grounding plate in the trunk, I added a braided automotive grounding strap and attached it to the bottom mount of the CB antenna mount and then to a bolt on the frame. It seems like the grounding plate alone isn't enough. It would be best to by the antenna kit which is available several places including http://www.sierra-mc.com/products.asp?cat=270or http://www.cyclemaxohio.com/inc/sear...nna&n=3987

As far as the pinouts for the CB to AM/FM radio, these are pinout from 19-27. The one you need to pay attention to is the SE as it has 3 sets of connectors. They are not in order on the connector so also pay attention to their locations. Also, to determine the proper pin#'s, hold the connector in your hand with the wiring away from you looking into the connector where the pins go.
LED Dash Lights Mod
Old 05-10-2010, 04:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage
Post imported post

One other thing I just noticed, the connector for attaching to the AM/FM radio is only a 12 pin connector so that connector listed is wrong. It is correct for the CB but not the AM/FM radio. You may have to take the AM/FM radio up to a stereo place and try to find one that fits. Even though the connector on the CB has 15 live pins, only 9 of them need to be attached to the radio. I just realized that , I think, the other 6 need to be attached to a 6 pin connector that connects to the bike's wiring harness. I will see if I can find that info for you. I must have forgot about that. I no longer have mine so I am trying to go by memory. Once again, let me get back to you on that. It is so much easier if you had the actual harness but they are expensive and hard to come by.
LED Dash Lights Mod
Old 05-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage
Post imported post

Ok, here is a picture of the Aspencade CB Harness

IIRC, that extra piece sticking out near the rubber plug on the bottom left is a square brown 4 pin connector. From what I can see, (but don't quote me on it) pins 13,14, and 15 don't even come into play for the Aspencade on the Aspencade harness. Pins 10,11, and 12 are part of that square brown connector and matches up with a plug in the same area as where the CB gets mounted. It looks like you can probably get a connector here: http://electricalconnection.com/elec...ts/hitachi.htmI am not positive that this is the exact connector but it will come as a set and you could change out the one on the factory harness if you had to and it should work.

Its possible that 13,14,and 15 may actually connect to the 3 blank pinouts on the AM/FM radio and the wiring diagram just doesn't show it. You may have to use a meter and if there are pins there, test them to see if they match up.

Good luck with this and if you are successful, maybe you can give part #'s that you used and verify the actual wiring. I think I have gone as far as I can. Possibly someone else will come along and add to what I have already told you.

If it were me though, I would just try and hunt down one of the wiring harnesses. I know it will cost you but will be way easier than trying to do this.
LED Dash Lights Mod
Old 05-26-2010, 04:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

Post imported post

pwhoever wrote:
Quote:
[size=3]The link on the Goldwing Facts page is a dead link.
No, still works: http://www.goldwingfacts.com/Cbradiofitting.htm
Zeke66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum