LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Model: 91 Aspencade with a 97 powerplant!
Post imported post

Hi Everyone,

I am going to pick up a set of progressive springs for the front end of my bike. It is quite saggy up there and in order to stiffen it up just a bit I have to put considerable air in the system. When I do this the front end becomes like a pogo stick on bumps. I was a little unnerved over the weekend while banking around a corner and the front end is jumping all around. Let's just say the "fun" I was having immediately disappeared.

Also, now that I have my complete new braking system including SS brake lines, the braking just a "bit" more touchy. I can stop on a dime and get a nickels change. I can almost bottom out in the front end depending on how fast I am going and how quick I need to slow down. This tends to make my wife slide into me.

I have been dreaming of a new set of 416 for the rear. We ride 2 up almost all the time and we are not light people to say the least. I was to GSMcLean site to see his installation. He mentioned that the "adapter kit" was not needed to hook up to the onboard air system (which I have).

So my question is for anyone that has purchased the 416 for an 1100.

Questions:

1) When you purchase a set of 416s, does the air hose and fittings come with it?

2) If so, does anyone know what is in the "adapter kit" that you could/would possibly need.

3) I need to find a good supplier of the front and back progressives that usually stocks them and has relatively good pricing. So if anyone has experience here, please chime in here too. I would prefer a supplier from here in Canada to get away from the duty crap and customs.

I am gearing up for a trip Cape Breton to "do" the Cabot Trail which is a couple hundred KM very mountainous ride. Hence the new brakes and the need for new front end support.

Tim.

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:57 PM

Post imported post

1) The air hose and fittings do come with it.

2) The adapter kit comes with parts that let you connect it to the hoses that originally went to the OEM shocks. If you dispense with those hoses and connectors, you can connect it directly to the splitter (down near the rear brake master cylinder) without the kit. This is what I did.

3) I got mine from Cyclemax - they were very close to the best price I found on the web, and they're nearby, so I can pick them up and save on shipping. Can't help you in Canada.

I bought the adapter kit as well, and didn't use it. If you want to install yours using the kit, let me know and you can have mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Read my
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 09:18 PM

Model: 1982 GL1100I (Sold); 2012 GL1800 VII
Post imported post

The 416's come with everything you need. The only issue I had (since I didn't buy the adapter kit) is the low air warning light is on all the time. Just ground that wire, it will go out and be fine.

Jack
2012 GL1800A
2004 GL1800A Sold
1982 GL1100I Sold
1975 GL1000 Sold
1974 CB450 Sold

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

I connected my 1100's air system to the 416s with the adapter kit. At the time it was $15.00 makes for a quick connection. My 416s didn't come with anything to connect to the Honda airlines or splitter.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 10:01 PM

Post imported post

The low air pressure switch is in the splitter down by the rear master cylinder. I just disconnected the two OEM lines from that splitter and screwed the fittings and lines that come with the 416 shocks in their place, and it all works great - including the low air pressure warning. Only thing is, the shocks are capable of running acceptably for a single lightweight rider at very low pressure, which will light up the warning light.

Read my
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
Quote:
Only thing is, the shocks are capable of running acceptably for a single lightweight rider at very low pressure, which will light up the warning light.
Ummmm,

I won't have an issue with this particular problem!

hahahaha

Tim.

3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hey GS, (or anyone else that knows)

I have ordered today the Progressive front springs for my bike from my local Honda shop. They were only $10.00 more than on-line and no shipping. I am looking forward to what type of improvement they have to offer. However, the 416's are $168 more than any other place I have found. I will be ordering them in from another source (probably Cyclemax).

I sent an e-mail to Cyclemax late last night asking the current prices and stock status and stuff and got a reply by noon today (my time) which was awesome. I like them (Cyclemax) already. Some places takes weeks to answer simple questions and I will not deal with that type of business.

One of the things that Cyclemax quoted me on was a "Travel Limiter : 0.25" (pn: 30-5013 on the Progressive site)". The Progressive site mentions it's existance it in the foot notes by not noting that I need it.

During your article on you site GS, you made no mention of it. Did you use it? What does this part do? It's only $10 so I am going to order it in anyway but I was just curious to its function. Oh, and thanks for the offer for the kit. I don't think I will need it either though.

Anyone know or use this before?

Tim.

____

Please visit
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Passed On, R.I.P.

Post imported post

I ordered the adapter kit and new hoses and fittings directly from Progressive. Works like a charm but now I have a leak I have to trace down. I think one of the seals has blown out.

I'll be checking all that later this week when when I get to installing the new SS brake lines and the Wig-Wag for the brakes.

Michael
Too much chrome to polish, too little time!!
Have trailer, will travel!! Not all Wingers are old Wingers.

PGR member. Riding in memory of my father, Clyde D. Ward, USN. WWII

Myself, USN, Vietnam Vet. 68-72, 74-76
VF-194 aboard the USS. Oriskany
USS Saratoga, ships company

-----------------------------------
Bagmaster, our former forum Toolmaster and friend, is no longer with us. He passed away in February 2012.

The roads and byways, no matter how beautiful and exhilarating, are a lonelier place now. RIP Bagmaster (Baggy).
-----------------------------------
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 09:58 PM

Post imported post

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:
Quote:
I sent an e-mail to Cyclemax late last night asking the current prices and stock status and stuff and got a reply by noon today (my time) which was awesome. I like them (Cyclemax) already. Some places takes weeks to answer simple questions and I will not deal with that type of business.

One of the things that Cyclemax quoted me on was a "Travel Limiter : 0.25" (pn: 30-5013 on the Progressive site)". The Progressive site mentions it's existance it in the foot notes by not noting that I need it.

During your article on you site GS, you made no mention of it. Did you use it? What does this part do? It's only $10 so I am going to order it in anyway but I was just curious to its function. Oh, and thanks for the offer for the kit. I don't think I will need it either though.
Gary (Cyclemax owner) saw the same thing (travel limiter) listed as being required on the GL1100 in one of his books, but not in the other. To be sure, he called Progressive for me, and they told him that it is NOT required on the GL1100.

Read my
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 12:08 AM

Post imported post

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:
Quote:

Gary and Company at Cyclemax are good people. Too bad you don't live close. I stopped in there a while back and just didn't want to leave.... Lots and lots of toys.

Joe
Darksider #493

Former bikes:
\'80 CB750 Custom
\'86 GL1200 Interstate

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page