LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 12:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

The TPMS idiot light should only blink for 2 seconds after you first turn on the key. If it stays on longer than that, then there is possibly a problem with the wheels sensors not being detected. You can either take it to a dealer to fix it, or you can very easily fix it yourself. Here's a link for the "tool" that you will need. Including shipping this cost me $116.06 from Ind to IL. That may sound high, but how many times will you disconnect your battery,change tires, remove wheels, want to do it without an appointment, etc ?

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=111

If you have the shop manual, the instructions are the same except for the tire pressure.

You have to inflate the tires to about 52psi or more and let them sit for a couple minutes to put them into the "Test Mode" before you can use the tool to activate them.

Remove the seat and locate the boot thats located under the passenger seat area that has a red connector with two wires and a cover. Remove the cover and find a wire or anything that will connect the two pins.

When you use the tool, you have to HOLD DOWN on the LEFT button until you get the blink indicator on the TPMS light before you let go. This may require using a helper to watch the dash, since the tool needs towithin 1-2inches of the sensor location on the tire.

You turn on the key (engine doesn't need to be running), and within 15 seconds short the two pins inthe connector. When you do this, the bikes TPMS indicator will become solid.

You thenactivate the front sensor with the tool and watch the bikesTPMS light. (The tool has a light that will blink also) When it gets the code, it begins to blink at which time you do the rear. When you do the rear, it changes blink rates for about 10 seconds and then goes solid. Once the light goes solid, you remove the short on the connector pins and turn off the key and the new sensor ID's should be stored. When your done, you must then drive the bike over 12mph for 5min so that the batteries within the sensors go back to sleep and don't run down.

If the front tire sensor code is not received after 1 minute, theTPMS light will start to flash indicating it is now expecting the rear. It will continue to flash for another minute looking for the rear sensor code. At the end of one minute it will go solid. If no codes were received, the existing sensor codes in the receiver will not be erased or overwritten. They only get overwritten if new valid codes are received.

If it didn't appear to work, remove the shorting wire, turn off the key and start again.
As always, assume that I don't know WTF I'm talking about and you might blowyour bike all to hell by following my idiotic ramblings.

Advertisement

Old 05-25-2010, 12:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Goldwing Model: 1991 ST1100
Garage
Post imported post

Thanks for that, I just added that to the FAQ Post Index Links

Modified your title so it is easier to find in a search.

Forum Index
Get your own Bookmarks.
easy peasy

http://tiny.cc/kd69bx___
AZgl1500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
PASSED ON R.I.P

Location: Baldwinsville, Just Outside of Syracuse, New York, USA
Goldwing Model: 09 Gl1800
Post imported post

Excellent Info Monte and a great Tip.

This post I will grab and squirrel away with my 1800 Stuff for future need.

I have owned over 50 bikes now, This is the longest I have owned only one bike.

Prior USMC Sgt. and Vietnam Vet - Platoon Sgt. and D.I.
PGR Member since 2006 - Serving Those Who Served For Us.

The Native Americans found out what happens when you don't control immigration.
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum