LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Post imported post

The TPMS idiot light should only blink for 2 seconds after you first turn on the key. If it stays on longer than that, then there is possibly a problem with the wheels sensors not being detected. You can either take it to a dealer to fix it, or you can very easily fix it yourself. Here's a link for the "tool" that you will need. Including shipping this cost me $116.06 from Ind to IL. That may sound high, but how many times will you disconnect your battery,change tires, remove wheels, want to do it without an appointment, etc ?

If you have the shop manual, the instructions are the same except for the tire pressure.

You have to inflate the tires to about 52psi or more and let them sit for a couple minutes to put them into the "Test Mode" before you can use the tool to activate them.

Remove the seat and locate the boot thats located under the passenger seat area that has a red connector with two wires and a cover. Remove the cover and find a wire or anything that will connect the two pins.

When you use the tool, you have to HOLD DOWN on the LEFT button until you get the blink indicator on the TPMS light before you let go. This may require using a helper to watch the dash, since the tool needs towithin 1-2inches of the sensor location on the tire.

You turn on the key (engine doesn't need to be running), and within 15 seconds short the two pins inthe connector. When you do this, the bikes TPMS indicator will become solid.

You thenactivate the front sensor with the tool and watch the bikesTPMS light. (The tool has a light that will blink also) When it gets the code, it begins to blink at which time you do the rear. When you do the rear, it changes blink rates for about 10 seconds and then goes solid. Once the light goes solid, you remove the short on the connector pins and turn off the key and the new sensor ID's should be stored. When your done, you must then drive the bike over 12mph for 5min so that the batteries within the sensors go back to sleep and don't run down.

If the front tire sensor code is not received after 1 minute, theTPMS light will start to flash indicating it is now expecting the rear. It will continue to flash for another minute looking for the rear sensor code. At the end of one minute it will go solid. If no codes were received, the existing sensor codes in the receiver will not be erased or overwritten. They only get overwritten if new valid codes are received.

If it didn't appear to work, remove the shorting wire, turn off the key and start again.
As always, assume that I don't know WTF I'm talking about and you might blowyour bike all to hell by following my idiotic ramblings.

The one that dies with the most toys....... WINS !
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 12:54 AM
Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Post imported post

Thanks for that, I just added that to the FAQ Post Index Links

Modified your title so it is easier to find in a search.

~ John ___

Here is my spot page:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ATGATT all the way !!!
I'm still here, because of ATGATT...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
10 January 2008

Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 RF ZP 195-55-16

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 04:26 AM
Location: Baldwinsville, Just Outside of Syracuse, New York, USA
Model: 09 Gl1800
Post imported post

Excellent Info Monte and a great Tip.

This post I will grab and squirrel away with my 1800 Stuff for future need.

95 Aspencade, Dressed to the Nines
Live to Ride - Ride to Live
My 4th Wing with 43 Years in the Wind Now
I have owned over 50 bikes now, This is the longest I have owned only one bike.

Prior USMC Sgt. and Vietnam Vet - Platoon Sgt. and D.I.
PGR Member since 2006 - Serving Those Who Served For Us.

The Native Americans found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page