Status
Not open for further replies.

GL1500 final drive and drive shaft removal tutorial uploaded

9K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  GWNorman 
#1 ·
imported post

Here is the link to the GL1500 final drive and drive shaft removal article;

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500finaldrive.htm

Aboutsixty pictures total. I willdismantlethe old final drive next week and take pictures so I can add it to this article, or make a new one.

You can see the splines in the old final drive stripped out, which cause the drive shaft to slip (click, click noises) and lose drive in the middle of nowhere.

[align=center]
[/align]

See less See more
#3 ·
imported post

Outstanding !
Question : Just purchased an 88 1500 with 205000 klms.
PO replaced drive shaft and pinion joint at 171000 klms.
On maidan voyage noticed a constant warbling sound from rear while down shifting and slowing from speed. Sound can be described as like a warbling tire whine . Tires are Dunlop E 3s with approx. 13000 klms. on them . Posts indicate that these tires are not the problem , check final drive etc.? Sounds like mabey the splines you are indicating above.? Not sure why the techs. didnt lube them at last tire change ?
2nd. Question : What is the best lube for these spines, seems nobody here has heard of Moly 60 ??

#5 ·
imported post

Predator wrote:
Rudy, look at those pictures real good because if what he was doin goes bad on my bike i'll bring it over to you. Very rarely do I get lost on the first picture, but you got me here. geeeeez
Helps to have been in there. Bring it. :byebye:

#6 ·
imported post

machinehead wrote:
Outstanding !
Question : Just purchased an 88 1500 with 205000 klms.
PO replaced drive shaft and pinion joint at 171000 klms.
On maidan voyage noticed a constant warbling sound from rear while down shifting and slowing from speed. Sound can be described as like a warbling tire whine . Tires are Dunlop E 3s with approx. 13000 klms. on them . Posts indicate that these tires are not the problem , check final drive etc.? Sounds like mabey the splines you are indicating above.? Not sure why the techs. didnt lube them at last tire change ?
2nd. Question : What is the best lube for these spines, seems nobody here has heard of Moly 60 ??
Sure sounds to me like tire 'hum', especially if it's pretty quiet when you have the bike vertical, but as soon as you go off vertical, it'll 'hum'. E3s are noted for that. That can happen in under 5,000km. Check your rear tire for 'cupping'. That's the source of the 'hum'.

You should be able to find the Honda Pro Moly 60 Paste in the service dept of any of your local Honda Powerhouse Centres(Kanata Powerhouse), but be prepared to shell out $24 for the small 80g tube. Upside - it will last a long time. I apply it to the flange with an acid swab. Don't need 'gobs' of it on, just a nice thin, evencoating.

All else fails, order it online from the US and get it shipped USPS(US Postal Service)(not UPS/FedEx!! :whip:)

Dusty

#7 ·
imported post

Just swapped a rear drive in my 1500 today... how opportune is that?

#9 ·
imported post

Hello All,

I have a 1999 goldwing 1500 and yesterday I was driving and heard a clanking sound. I stopped and then tried to take off and bike would not move and made loud clanking sound almost like it was in between gears. Is this a sign that the final drive went out?

#10 ·
imported post

Welcome rclark 1968. Yes, final drive or drive shaft gone. Or the universal joint. You can rule out the UJ by peeling back the rubber boot with the bike on the main stand, engine running and in gear. If the shaft moves but rear wheel doesn't, the problem is where the shaft meets the final drive.

#11 ·
imported post

rclark1968 That's what happened to me last year. The u-joint was fine but the where the shaft goes into the rear end was worn out. After pushing the bike quite a way to get it off the road and then calling a friend for help I got to thinking. Maybe letting the air out of the rear suspension would have given me enough contact to ride a few more miles?
Hopefully I won't have a chance to find out.

PS Ebay link to Moly 60.
DEXTER'S HONDA YAMAHA SEADOO
Adrian, Michigan, United States
Ships to: Worldwide
US $11.47

#13 ·
imported post

rclark1968 did you ever get your final drive fixed?
I am looking for a replacement FD for my 1988.
I was told it may be a $30.00 bearing, but will cost $300.00 to put it in. I was also told not to bother trying to do it myself.
Asked a guy who had triked his, but said he had no gears, had to send the shaft back to get something done to it, I don't know why he doesn't have the final drive.

#14 ·
imported post

WiingNut: in your final drive removal article you said you would post an overhaul article.
Did you ever do that?
I have noise in my rear end, and it is either a bearing or a gear (what else is back there?)
I was told it is not worth getting it fixed, and not to try myself. Was that good advice?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.