LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2010, 05:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 84 GL 1200 Aspencade
Post imported post

I searched thru the forum but didnt find anything specific to the GL1200.

This just started today. Momma and I took a ride out of town. It has been running fine until today.

I thought I was imagining things at first, but soon realized I wasnt. Just at letting the clutch go to take off and shortly thereafter, it misses and cuts out . Probably less than 1500 rpm. After that it runs fine. I even slowed down to almost a stop, and took off redlining it it each gear. No issues. Choke on, or choke off. Same issue. Just as I let the clutch go and shortly after. Just happens under load from takeoff.

The only thing different today was momma with me. She only weighs 120 tho, so not a big load, but some.

As a shade-tree mechanic, I would guess plugs are the issue, but not sure. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
dtherren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 2006 ST 1300
Garage
Post imported post

Plugs aren't a bad idea but, did this start after a recent fill-up ??? May have gotten a bit of dirt in the low-speed jets. I just put some fresh NGK's in mine for the up-coming trip to NASSIR, but the old set was pushing 24K and the only symptom I had was a stumble on cold starts...

1986 Interstate, 2006 ST 1300
Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

Hoping for some similar help. My 1200gl starts and runnings great until hot. Them it stumbles and sputters across the whole throttle, often stalling when off throttle unless choked to raise rpm.

I recently replaced the slide diaphragms and plugs. Ran amazing for a month. Fueled and it died. I have now run 3 tanks and most of a can of sea foam. Changed filter also.

Any help, please.
scrambled82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 275,000 miles
Post imported post

Hook up the carb stix and check the sync. If it's good at idle, slowly bring the rpms up and see if it goes out of sync briefly and then comes back.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Post imported post

Thanks,
What are carb stix?
scrambled82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 84 GL 1200 Aspencade
Post imported post

shooter,

Last fill up up a few days ago. Filled up this morning, but it was sputtering prior to that. It did get a little worse as the day went tho, but I don't think it was the gas unless it took it a few days to settle in to the carbs.

I will start with plugs and see what happens. Like I said, the only difference between today and yesterday was momma on board.
dtherren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Post imported post

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago. I had a sputter and rough idle so I just ran it for a couple days and did not improve so I drained the float bowls. Clear as glass with no specs at all. I also drained the condensation tank just inside of the left foot peg and was pretty full. It had been quite a while since I had dumped it. It seemed to clear up after I did that so either that did the trick or I had some bad gas or something.
76 Honda CB750K
P Yanney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 275,000 miles
Post imported post

scrambled82 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks,
What are carb stix?
Carburetor syncronization tool.

I don't think plugs or anything electrical is going to help. Electrical shows up in the higher RPM range. The only possible way I think it could be electrics is if it's theblack boxgoing out so the ignition doesn't advance correctly.

That could also be vacuum related.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Post imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Quote:
scrambled82 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks,
What are carb stix?
Carburetor syncronization tool.

I don't think plugs or anything electrical is going to help. Electrical shows up in the higher RPM range. The only possible way I think it could be electrics is if it's theblack boxgoing out so the ignition doesn't advance correctly.

That could also be vacuum related.

+1 on the carb sync. It could be running too lean at idle, meaning partially plugged idle circuit, air mixture screws not set optimum, or intake air leak. With that said, i've seen too rich at idle cause a hesitation on acceleration, but that is less likely.

Scrambled82, I think your issue is a little different. Start looking for a vacuum or air intake leak. Although you could have dirty carbs too since it started after a fuel up.

jwhitmore44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Post imported post

are you getting the cheapest gas on the planet...try a new station...try cleaner and new plugs...also if you like to red line it alot keep your tools handy!!
had Some nice old 650 trumpets...(fun!!)
many dirt and streets..cant remember!!

Ask the wrench god 1st!!
grambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum