LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

I do have one question relating to exhaust: I would like to make the pipes a bit louder w/out having to spend a whole lot of $$. I know that one option is to remove the mufflers from the tubes and remove some of the packing and put it all back together.

My concerns are will this change the back pressure enough that i will have to make adjustments on the carburetors? How much can i safely remove? Any thoughts? Has anyone else on this forum done this? If so i would really appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,
Roger

"People may drive you crazy, just don\'t let \'em drive you nuts!"

wallowaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 275,000 miles
Post imported post

A lot of the folks here seem to think Harley muffles work. Don't damage the stock exhausts. A lot of peoplewant them.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

Like Dennis said the stock mufflers are worth some money. If your going to mess around you can pickup almost new HD mufflers for under $100. Then when you get tired of the racket you can put the stock ones back on.

Steve
Old 07-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

So pardon my ignorance but do these fit directly into the stock pipes? Or? Where can i get them?

Old 07-12-2010, 07:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: GL1200
Garage
Post imported post

the stock exhaust without baffles will be louder, but in my personal opinion, the sound sucks. so probably the harley mufflers is your choice.
they fit directly but since they are cheap everyone uses them. they are louder than stock but not enough to screw your ride.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 275,000 miles
Post imported post

The Harley mufflers may take some doing to install but they are cheap. Seeyour local Harley dealer. They should know who has just bought megaphones for their hog.

Aftermarket pipes are available for your bike that will change the sound and will bolt right on. They are not cheap.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Post imported post

older stock touring pipes are good replacement and dirt cheap and you can bang em thru too
the newer ones(smogged and baffled...epa) are totally junk and you cant bang em thru...no performance and sound like junk...thats why people take em off and put real pipes on their harley.
had Some nice old 650 trumpets...(fun!!)
many dirt and streets..cant remember!!

Ask the wrench god 1st!!
grambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1980 GL1100
Post imported post

grambo wrote:
Quote:
thats why people take em off and put real pipes on their harley.
Maine is making them illegal, the "real" pipes I mean. I would imagine other places also. I'm not really an "outlaw biker", it kind of goes against the Goldwing thing, in my opinion. I like stock. I tried the Harley pipes, but as soon as I got some stock, I put them on.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Post imported post

You can consider taking out the expansion chamber, located just in front of both mufflers (they connect onto it). I took out mine, went to NAPA auto and got 1.5" od x 1.5" id 22.5 degree exhaust elbows and directed each header out through each stock muffler on each side. The sound got a bit louder, but not enough to rattle your brain like harley pipes will. I deffinately gained some HP and got about 2 mpg better mileage. I spent under $15 for the mod. I also talked to our local goldwing mechanic and he said it would NOT hurt anything.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Post imported post

OK fellas. I found a couple of different sets of Harley take off pipes. One set it about 22 1/2 inches in length, the other is 28 1/2 inches. So my question is do I install them directly off of the headers or do I have to modify the pipe behind the chamber to getthem to fit?
If i go straight off of the headers with the 28 1/2 inchers, they come out about 3 inches from the back of the tire. If I use the shorter ones, then, well they come out near the front of the back tire.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again to all for your help and advice.

Cheers!

Roger

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum