LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2010, 01:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

I had a problem last weekend while i was riding. volt meter dropped to about 10.5 volts and was enough to get me back to the camp ground. starting futzing around and noticed the 3 stator wires were extremely hot. so i put her back on the trailer and headed home. tore it down. realized the stator was replaced, fooled around with the large connection at the regulator and the voltage went back to normal.. so i pulled the connector apart and found the single stator wire was cooking the terminal. so i wired it direct. and it was charging normal.But the three stator wires were getting extremely hot, not smoking or melting the wire insulation, but still hot and checked it at about 150 degrees and the voltage regulator was in excess of 200 degrees. still not enough to melt the epoxy out of the regulator. i have done every test imaginable. i have no shorts, or open wires. all of the ohm readings on all of the wire are at 1/2 an ohm. no shorts in the stator. so everything appears to have no resistance. I asked another gold wing tech about possibly a bad regulator?. and he didn't think so. and here's the real strange one,I'm a car tech and i don't know to much about the A/C conversion, but if you unhook the exciter wire off of the regulator it should stop charging correct? NO mine charges well past the limit of the voltage meter which is 16volts, and the wires cool down. read this closely. i've ran all remote wires to this regulator.I think the regulator could be damaged ? I'm stumped HHHHEEEELLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2010, 02:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Location: Bonsall., CA, Phx AZ, Ensenada, MX, California, USA
Post imported post

Look for poor connections. Check and triple check.

Resistance builds heat in wires.

The regulator runs pretty hot normally. it's taking excess energy and shunting it to ground. If the reference voltage wire is pulled it over charges your battery, but is putting less energy to ground, so - yeah - it'll run cooler - but kill your battery.

The distance between "Impossible!" and "All we need is a free weekend and some kind of rocket motor" is about 10 drinks.
rgbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

I've run all new wires from the the stator, Batt hot,Ground, exciter wire directly to the regulator. the only thing i have not changed is the regulator itself.there are zero bad connections. and resistance falls well below specs. should the regulator and stator wires get that hot?. is it normal. nobody seems to know. and what about disconnecting the exciter jump to engage the regulator. it should'nt charge at all, but volt meter is off the scale
Old 08-12-2010, 03:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Banjo Junkie

Goldwing Model: GL 1000
Garage
Post imported post

I beleive that the stator wires do get hot, mostly from all the posts about removing the connector and soldering them together, and the connector to the solenoid will melt as well. I've done away with mine, but i haven't checked to see if the wires were hot after a ride. I'll do that next time. my regulator does get hot but again I've never checked it after a ride.

The ground cable from the battery is bolted to the upper engine mounting bracket and needs to be checked if your having electrical gremlins. But I see you replaced that.

Are the stator and regulator OEM parts, I read here on the site that there was a run of bad after market stators. Coated blue windings?

Welcome to the Wing nut house

(Edited some spelling)

5string at bluegrasshighway.com
http://www.live365.com/stations/ebanjo

Glenn
Black 1979 GL1000

PGR Member

“In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on
Robert Frost

My pic's
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...ms-ebanjo.html
ebanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 83 GL1100 Aspencade
Post imported post

OK Shadow you ar ethinking in terms of a car alternator, they use excitement voltage to energize a field coil to regulate output. Wing stators are fixed field and continuos output, no exciter lead. They regulate by shunting extra power to ground to control battery charging. The wire you call exciter is actually a voltage reference lead, without it full output goes to the battery, no regulation. Yes regulators do run pretty hotand stator leads are known to be warm. Most common problem is bad connections molst often at the plug on teh 3 yellow wires out of the stator and yes sometimes at regulator plug. Age and corrosion are truly a problem with all connections
TBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1985 Limited Edition GL1200
Post imported post

I think the temp's you're seeing at the regulator and stator wires are normal. I removed both the regulator and stator connectors on my bikeand soldered all the wires to eliminate any possibility of a spade connector burning. The regulator still gets too hot to touch and the stator wired still get warm but not excessivly so.. One other place that will burn is where the 2 red/white wires plug into the starter selinoid. They feed into the 30amp main dogbone fuse located on the selinoid. The fix for that is to cut both wires and install/solder an in-line 30amp spade type fuse to the hot side of the selinoid.

I believe the black wire is the one that you're referring to as the "exciter wire". When I had charging problems and determined that the regulator was bad, I tried an Electrix brand regulator which did not last at all!! The instuctions said the black wire was not needed so, in the course of troubleshooting the system, I tried disconnecting it. When I revved the bike the charging guage maxed out above 16vdc so obviously they were quite wrong!!

In short, if the voltmeter is showing about 14.0-14.5vdc, I think your OK!

Welcome and good luck with her!!

1985 Gl1200 Limited Edition
roscoepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 87 Aspy,SEI,LTD
Garage
Send a message via AIM to neoracer Send a message via Yahoo to neoracer
Post imported post

it appears that you have down everything you need to prevent any further stator wire/connector meltdowns if you have hardwired all the stator and regulator wires,as roscoepc said your temps are normal,only thing you could do if the regulator temp really worries you is to wire in and mount a slim line 12V computer fan and sandwich it into the regulator area,some people have done this but considering how many gl's are running around under the same conditions it would be more of a peace of mind fix

86 SEI 84K 87 Aspy 117K 85 LTD 34K (refurb)
neoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Post imported post

Thanx for your help. i'm going to go through every wire again and put an extra ground to the frame and motor in place. from all the feedback i received it sounds like a normal condition. I am only concerned due to a similar problem 25 years ago with a 83 suzuki GSE model. the regulator was mounted under the seat not to far above the battery. it actualy melted onto the battery and started a fire as i was driving it. i parked it on the side of the road and watched it burn as well as the cable and telephone wires that were directly above. so you could probably see my concern.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Post imported post

It only takes about 2 to 3 minutes for them to get hot.and i want to thank everybody for their help, i will post the end result of this mystery and stay in touch to help others.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Post imported post

The Shadow Knows
Welcometo this Great Site!
Pull up a chair and join on in!
Got a Technical question on your wing

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/
Got a General Motorcycle Question
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/
Most of all we're glad you joined and

look forward seeing you on the forums and on the road

Ride Safe, Ray

Advertisement