I came up with an idea to replace the ignition coils with something more available and with stronger spark. I have a bucket full of 1100 coils and almost every one is cracked.
Here is what I did.
I got a coil pack off a 97 Dodge neon.
I first connected it to my test bikes ignitors and with the plug wires that came with the coils I attached some AC platinums for a Chevy truck to see if it would fire, it did.
Next I fashioned a bracket from some light 3/4" angle iron.
Excuse the welds, I was trying to use my MIG with a fan blowing on me.
The Neon coil is about the same physical size as the OE coils.
Since this is an experiment I used crimp on connectors to connect to an original coil harness. Connected the yellow (1&2) to the set that would be on the front, blue (3&4) to the rear set.
The center wire in the coil connector is the + (black/yellow) the wires on each side of it go to the coil on it's respective side. So the wiring could not be simpler.
I then took the coil ends off the wires from the coils and crimped them on the wires I already had on the bike leaving the resistor caps in place.
Sorry about the blurry picture.
Here it is mounted in the original location. It took a little modification of the bracket to get it located just right.
The engine started instantly and seemed to idle better and not take as much choke to keep it running as it usually does.
Went for a short ride and it did run some better, I need to play with the spark plug gap to see if I can gain some more improvement but I am happy with the results so far.