LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 07 1800 "The Beast" 100K
Post imported post

Went to change out a blown brake light, but unable to access the brake light case in the trunk. The studs just spin in the molded plastic when wrenching off the cap nut.

Looking for suggestions on breaking loose the cap nut from the molded in stud.

May be it's dealer time to try out the warranty.

Longboater,

MORE TAIL WAGGING and less barking please.

Heading for the sun set and checking the boxes along the way. (until the keys are taken away)

Ned

Past rides:
USS TENCH (SS 417)
Yamaha 65
Honda 85
Kawasaki 125
Penton 125
Zuki 185
Husky 250
Honda VTX 1300

Enjoying Florida, come-on-down
Longboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2010, 08:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Irish Crew

Goldwing Model: GL1100 Interstate
Post imported post

It seems like Honda still have a big ape tightening those studs. All you can do now is twist and pull them out. Then separate the studs and glue them back in with epoxy resin.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

Had the same problem on my sons 2008 Wing. All started with water leaking in around the tail lights. Apparently the tail light studs are a little to long and the cap nuts bottom out on the studs. Not sure but I think Honda knows this. Anyway, took the bike to the dealer and while it was there they had two mechanics try to get them loose, which they couldn't. So the manager said I could try to get them out, with the understanding that the tail lights would have to be replaced. This is what I did. Got a deep well socket that fits the cap nuts, 8mm or 10mm. Clamped that into a pair of vise grips. Got a drill bit that just fit inside the deep well socket. See where this is going. Put the bit into a drill. Place the socket onto the cap nut and held it in place with the vise grips. Coated the drill bit with some soap stone. Using the socket as a guide started drilling the top of the cap nut. Drilled a little and stopped. Checked my work using a flashlight and mirror. Recoated the drill bit with soap stone and continue. Stopped and checked my work and recoated the drill bit. Kept doing this until the cap nut and stud were drilled far enough to come off. Note: Using soap stone as a lubricate makes for easy clean up on this job, a shop vac. Now it was off to the dealers with all the drilled out cap nuts in hand and the tail lights tape in place. Yes they replaced both tails lights and fix the leak around the lights for no charge. Hope this helps you out.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

Thanks Fits and Buzz,

Going to the local dealer in the morning. By the sound of it this has been an on-going issue. The two studs in question were over torqued upon installation for sure. This is not a great application for cap nuts with ABS being so weak. Aircraft or lock nuts would have been a better call.

Mother may have been concerned about the sharp edge of the stud affecting goodies in the trunk, so I'll give her that.

The dealer will butcher up the parts and replace with new. The remaining fasteners have been removed and silicone lubed and hand torqued, until the lock nuts are found.

Heading for the sun set and checking the boxes along the way. (until the keys are taken away)

Ned

Past rides:
USS TENCH (SS 417)
Yamaha 65
Honda 85
Kawasaki 125
Penton 125
Zuki 185
Husky 250
Honda VTX 1300

Old 10-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Guru

Goldwing Model: GL1800, GL1500, GL1200
Post imported post

Thats been a problem with all gl1800s right up to now. A thick plastic washer would probably fix it for good.
GWNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Post imported post

GWNorman wrote:
Quote:
Thats been a problem with all gl1800s right up to now. A thick plastic washer would probably fix it for good.
Right you are, I was not aware of it until bulb change time. The dealer here has serviced this situation more than mine as the manager underwent a complete attitude change.

You recommend a plastic washer, probably a good calI, but I still like the aircraft nut idea where the nut can be brought down to the surface with just a hint of force to compress the seal.

Ned

Past rides:
USS TENCH (SS 417)
Yamaha 65
Honda 85
Kawasaki 125
Penton 125
Zuki 185
Husky 250
Honda VTX 1300