LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

I grew up in the 50s and 60s. We always had Popular Mechanics and Popular Science magazines around the house. Back then these magazines were full of articles about how to build things using materials from around the house and how to repair things. I can remember one article on building a metal lathe out of water pipe fittings. People had less money to spend then, they spent less time watching TV and playing video games. And many of them spent a good deal of time in their shop.

Fast forward to 2010, the economy is still in the tank, millions of people are unemployed and consumer credit is almost nonexistent. Thousands of people have lost their homes not to mention their motorcycles. Most people are very reluctant to go down to the local Honda shop and plunk down 20 grand for a new Goldwing . But there's plenty of inexpensive used motorcycles for sale, and even some free ones. This is an ideal time for someone who can scrape together a little bit of money and has a few basic mechanical skills to build a really decent motorcycle without having to kiss some bankers hinder.

This is basic grassroots hot rodding stuff. It's what I'm fairly good at. What I've never been any good at his writing. I'm dyslexic and can't spell or type worth a damn. One of the great new technologies to come along in recent years is voice recognition software. Now I can talk and let the computer type. Talking is something I'm way too good at so I'm going to try to combine the software and my experience with rebuilding machinery to post a complete build diary of a low-cost, relatively high performance motorcycle

I like to give my projects names, if nothing else it provides a shorthand for describing the project. Given the similarities between now and the 30s I looked at some depression era slang and came up with the name that I think is appropriate. During the depression, the last one, not this one, a lot of bars and ladies whose job it was to encourage the patrons to hang around and buy more drinks. They called them B-girl's, to me it sounds like a great name for motorcycle.

The B-girl will be a GL 1000 with a GL 1200 engine. Built a tight budget with retro styling. I hope you'll follow along as I build it. I'll do my best to provide a clear and accurate build diary and I would love to hear your comments as we go along. We will kick it all off tomorrow with a discussion about preparing the shop and thinking a little bit about the budget. Stay tuned!

Steve

Old 12-06-2010, 10:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Goldwing Model: 1997 se
Post imported post

This post reminds me of reading my old man Popular Mechanics magazines when he was at work and I was a kid, thinking I can do it all. B-Girl may be a tattoo

Predator
Predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1100
Garage
Post imported post

I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Sorry bout the gloom. I truly can't wait to see how it goes for you!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 11:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

Watch Topic....click.

If you\'re not on the road, you\'re in a rut.
escogold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Goldwing Model: 1991 ST1100
Garage
Post imported post

Steve,

This is super wonderful and I am thrilled to be able to participate by watching it go along.

"Watch Topic" click here also...

Forum Index
Get your own Bookmarks.
easy peasy

http://tiny.cc/kd69bx___
AZgl1500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Location: Birsay, Orkney Isles 59degN 3degW, , United Kingdom
Post imported post

I'm certainly looking forward to watching your progress - I also grew up (but not according to my Wife!) in the 50's and 60's and made stuff from whatever was at hand or begged from the Bin-man as he collected from each house. I still make stuff and rebuild bikes/cars/washing machines/whatever, long after people have given up on them. Would you mind me putting a link to this thread on my hobby web site so that my visitors can share it too?
Orcadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Post imported post

Orcadian wrote:
Quote:
I'm certainly looking forward to watching your progress - I also grew up (but not according to my Wife!) in the 50's and 60's and made stuff from whatever was at hand or begged from the Bin-man as he collected from each house. I still make stuff and rebuild bikes/cars/washing machines/whatever, long after people have given up on them. Would you mind me putting a link to this thread on my hobby web site so that my visitors can share it too?
Of course you can put a link to it on your site. If you PM me with the link to your site I'll add it to the links page on my site which is still under construction but progressing.

Growing up is overrated. The problem I have is that the 60-year-old and the mirror has a hard time getting along with the 19-year-old in my head.

Steve

Old 12-07-2010, 05:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: GL1800 abs
Post imported post

I'm looking forward to following your progress Steve.
JWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 77/83/85/yup, all of 'em in one
Post imported post

Growing up is overrated. The problem I have is that the 60-year-old and the mirror has a hard time getting along with the 19-year-old in my head.

Steve

Most of the time, you gotta listen to the old guy, but every now and then the 19 year old comes out and we have a little fun.
[/quote]
ekvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

Post imported post

did I mention Rat fink

Deric
cired99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum