LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

I was looking for a post I saw once about how to fix the acuracy of the gas gauge. Anyone know where I can find it. Mine shows empty long before it is..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Anti-Guru

Goldwing Model: '06 GL1800
Post imported post

You can bend the sender/floa rod to make the gauge accurate at the other end of the scale if you wish (at the expense of losing readings on a full tank) -- a better fix (to accurize for the full span of the gauge would require a longer sender arm, which would acutally introduce some other issues with linearity...

You may be able to move the "Empty" point by adding additional parallel resistance to the sender circuit. Empty is higher resistance about 95 ohms, while full is about 6 ohms for the circuit -- the sender would vary a little from bike to bike, so it'd be good to check yours but resistance would move from 6ohms(full) to about 95ohms(empty) -- I've toyed with adding about 1500-ohms in parallel with the sender (your measurements may be different) to delay the "empty" reading, but I chose to bend the sender's float rod...

If you choose to bend, many folks will run the bike until the low fuel indicator lamp is on, then add 1/2 gallon (or more) fuel... then bend the float's rod connecting to the sender unit so that the float end is "lower" than it's original height.

The float's rod can be bent by using a pair of rods through the fuel filler opening - one rod to hold the float rod downward near the float, and the other rod fashioned as a hook to pull upward near the center of the float's rod...

Through trial and error- you should be able to set the float so that the low-fuel indicator comes on (about 1 gallon left in the tank) just as the gauge hits the red-area at the bottom of its span...

Of course, the "error" (unmeasured fule capacity) is then at the top of the tank -- and it may take 2 or more gallons of travel (~80 miles) for your modified fuel gauge to show less than a FULL tank.

Personally, I am more comfortable knowing when I will run out of fuel, and not relying on the lamp or odometer to determine fuel remaining. For me now, filling at half-tank takes about 4.25 gallons (recommended anyway, to keep the fuel pump happy and cool). My low-fuel lamp illuminate right as the gauge needle touches the top of the red, and I can watch the final gallon drain from the tank over the next few miles with comfort.
satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

Hey thanks I need the same fix...

I think I get it...got a pic..

Thanks

Deric
cired99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Anti-Guru

Post imported post

I've seen this effectively done with a bent coat hanger (hook the float's rod mid-way between the float and the sender unit; hang on!) and a yardstick with a tiny notch in the tip (to push at the float end of the rod bending it downward)... BUT ...

This seems to put a bunch of pressure on the sender unit so some care should be taken.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1995 GL1500 SE
Post imported post

Mine was the same way. It read 1/4 tank when it was 1/2 full. What I did, was, when it was on 1/4 tank, I put it on the center stand (level) took out the float, and bent it slightly so it would read 1/2 tank. It took two tries, but now it is deadly accurate. Hope this helps.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Post imported post

Another item you may want to check is the 7-volt auxilury regulator. Particularly if you notice that your temp guage is also inaccurate. The 7v regulator is common to both.
77 CB550 K3
82 CM250C
82 GL1100 Interstate w/ Auburn Gemini (doublewide) Sidecar
Past Bikes:
------------------
What?? SELL a bike??

Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lots of things. You've been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
It is hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. Its having the right attitudes that's hard.

PGR since 2011
OldSchool_IsCool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 2008 GL1800 Level 4
Garage
Post imported post

So what is the indications of the temp guage not being accurate?
John 14:6 Psalm 118:19-29
CMA Wings of Eagles-Escondido CA SAN DIEGO
Patriot Guard Ryder
+2008 Cabernet Red ABS/Airbag bought 6/2013 @16,000 miles
+1983 ASPENCADE Barn find @36,000 to be sold
Previous bikes
-1999 GL1500 ASPENCADE Red Sold barn find 17,500 miles
-1999 GL1500 SE(@57k)(totaled by cagger @105,000) Feb 2013
-76 CB750K Red(new) sold @ 45k
-75 CB750K Blue(new) 9,000 mi Before cousin totaled it.
74 CB450 Burnt Orange(new) 9,000 miles sold
newday777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Anti-Guru

Post imported post

OldSchool_IsCool wrote:
Quote:
Another item you may want to check is the 7-volt auxilury regulator. Particularly if you notice that your temp guage is also inaccurate. The 7v regulator is common to both.

In the 1500, the fuel and temp gauge are supplied through Relay #3 (often a problem if both are out - along with a bunch of other "ON" items), but there is no 7V regulator - the gauges will have 12V through the "Tail/Position" fuse (15A) and the contacts of the #3 relay when the key is "ON" ...

If you suspect the voltage is "out" for the gauges (temp and fuel) the illumination for those gauges would also be out and temp gauge would read cold and not move from the lower peg -- Also, all of the "indicator lamps" receive their +ve power line through Relay#3 and that same fuse (Side Stand, Reverse bulb, oil pressure, OD, Neutral...) so those wouldn't work or even self-test when the key was first turned on.

(damned typos)
Old 02-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Post imported post

Thanks all...

Deric
cired99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Post imported post

newday777 wrote:
Quote:
So what is the indications of the temp guage not being accurate?
Here is what goldwingdocs.com sayz about it. If this isn't your symptom, then continue along the lines of adjusting just the fuel gauge,

The Problem
If you have a GL1000, GL1100 or GL1200Std Goldwing with mechanical (not electronic LCD) temperature and fuel gauges, you've had this problem. Or...you will. It's only a matter of time. You'll start noticing that your temperature and fuel gauges are reading off the scale - the temperature is in the red, and the fuel shows full. The only thing is, the bike isn't overheating, and you know you've only got a quarter tank left. Or...even worse: your bike is operating normally, and suddenly your temperature and fuel gauges just turn off, and look like the picture above. How much fuel have you got left? You'll have to guess!
The Cause
What's causing it? A faulty, worn-out 7 volt voltage regulator. Behind the fuel and temperature gauges is a special voltage regulator that turns your motorcycle's normal 12 volts into the 7 volts on which these two gauges run. When it starts to fail, it typically starts doing so intermittently. Left in a failed state, it can cause damage - allowing a full 12 volts into your temperature and fuel gauges, destroying the delicate coils inside! That gets expensive, requiring the replacement of the entire center gauge cluster!
The Diagnosis
Now let me state one thing: If one of the two gauges is working normally, and the other is not, then your problem is not your 7 volt regulator. But if both of them are not working correctly - it's time to replace that regulator. The symptoms of a failed 7 volt regulator are both fuel and temperature gauges reading high, or both reading zero, and it commonly happens intermittently for a while before complete failure.

Ohhhhh, 1500! Ummmm yea, thin this definitely ISN'T your problem

77 CB550 K3
82 CM250C
82 GL1100 Interstate w/ Auburn Gemini (doublewide) Sidecar
Past Bikes:
------------------
What?? SELL a bike??

Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lots of things. You've been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
It is hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. Its having the right attitudes that's hard.

PGR since 2011
OldSchool_IsCool is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum