LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

The rear brake pedal on my 1996 GL1500I goes down about 2-3 inches before the brake starts working, but the brake does work quite well. Can anyone explain to me how to adjust the brake pedal or possibly direct me to a video, or pictures, showing me step by step how to do it myself?

Thanks in advance for your assistance...
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 275,000 miles
Post imported post

I don't think there is an adjustment. Bleed the brakes for a firmer feel.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

On the 1500, like most bikes, the rear pedal height is adjustable via the clevis rod hooking the brake pedal to the rear MC. The manual calls for a resting pedal height of .4 inches above the top of the foot peg. If yours is about .5 inch above the foot peg then there is no other adjustment. Like Bike... and Dennis said.. Bleed the brakes keeping in mind that the rear is linked to the left front (I think) so you start your bleeding on the left front then move to the rear.
jdvorchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

When was the fluid last changed? You'd be very surprised how much difference fresh fluid will make, it's very easy to do, costs very little and makes a huge difference to the feel & performance of the brakes.

One other easy fix I didwas toslightly raise the position of the foot brake making it feel much more comfortable. The original rubber pads were missing from the foot-brake pedal so I fitted new ones. I made them from a thick rubber sole from an old shoe. The rubber is about 15mm thick and sits proud of the pedal, the rubber is also very grippy and this makes the pedal feel very secure under foot, with so slippage whatsoever.(Fit the rubber so that the outter sole faces up, so that your foot is pressing onto the side of the rubber that was intended to grip the ground).I definately found the extra 10mm of height (over the OEM rubber pads) to be a big improvement! By the way, I secured the rubber pads to the pedal using two part resin adhesive.

Regards

Jim
Jim_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1996 GL1500SE
Garage
Post imported post

I agree this has come up before you need to bleed your brakes but something you should also do is when you are done with the front put something heavy on the pedal to hold it all the way down. This means you are using one of the small bleeder bottles so no air can get back in. Leave it that way overnight 1500's are notorious for getting air bubbles in the lines and this usually gets them out. It worked for me when I had a simular problem ( I used a sledge hammer) it was just the right weight and size to do the job.

Always look for the door "C" it may be hidden but there is always one there...
PurplePirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Just another ORF!

Goldwing Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

Jim_C wrote:
Quote:
When was the fluid last changed? You'd be very surprised how much difference fresh fluid will make, it's very easy to do, costs very little and makes a huge difference to the feel & performance of the brakes.

One other easy fix I didwas toslightly raise the position of the foot brake making it feel much more comfortable. The original rubber pads were missing from the foot-brake pedal so I fitted new ones. I made them from a thick rubber sole from an old shoe. The rubber is about 15mm thick and sits proud of the pedal, the rubber is also very grippy and this makes the pedal feel very secure under foot, with so slippage whatsoever. (Fit the rubber so that the outter sole faces up, so that your foot is pressing onto the side of the rubber that was intended to grip the ground).I definately found the extra 10mm of height (over the OEM rubber pads) to be a big improvement! By the way, I secured the rubber pads to the pedal using two part resin adhesive.

Regards

Jim

Jim ... the rubber pad(s) on the foot pedal are not OEM. Honda brake pedal is just a metal piece, with a textured cross hatching milled into it. I think what you are describingis the ISO Brake Pedal Pads.

Bleeding your brakes(start with the front left caliper as the 1500 has a 'linked' braking system) will firm up the pedal, effectively 'raising' the pedal height. Should be bled every two years, same as the front brakes. I like to bleed my clutch system every year.

Installing a set of Speed Bleeders makes for a quick, easy job, even for one person bleeding the brakes/clutchsystems.

Cover all areas around/below the Brake/Clutch master cylinders with rags, as Brake Fluid does not get along with paint/plastic, so don't let any drip on them!Use DOT 4 brake fluid for both brake and clutch systems.

Dusty

- just another Rider

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

Dusty Boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Post imported post

Hi Dusty, you're right, the ISO pedal is on my bike. It was there when I got it and just assumed it was OEM. There you go, you learn something new every day!
Jim_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Just another ORF!

Goldwing Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

Jim_C wrote:
Quote:
Hi Dusty, you're right, the ISO pedal is on my bike. It was there when I got it and just assumed it was OEM. There you go, you learn something new every day!
I have looked at those ISO Brake Pedal pads quite a few times, liking the look of them, but inwardly knew that your boot would 'catch' on the edge of the rubber inserts and eventually one(or more) would become dislodged and you'd be forced into buying replacement pieces. Your solution is simple and one I never thought of. As you said .... you learn something new every day!

- just another Rider

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

Dusty Boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Token Canuk

Goldwing Model: 1996 SE
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 96aspencade Send a message via Skype™ to 96aspencade
Post imported post

Just another thought that might help is to take your brake pedal off it's shaft & raise it a notch or two
30,000 miles - Formosa,
'96 GL 1500 SE - 260,k km
Goodyear Assurance (175/60/16), now on my 2nd
'84 Shadow VT 750c - 35,k km- BF Goodrich Radial TA
'90 Suzuki Intruder 750 – 88,k km
'85 GL 1200 Aspencade - 185,k km
'83 Shadow 500
'70 Kawasaki KE-125
'?? Suzuki 80

2010 Alps (pic's)
Spot Tracker
Trailer Hitch Plans
www.drivingskills.on.ca (Skid Prevention/ Emergency Techniques)
96aspencade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Goldwing Model: 1991 ST1100
Garage
Post imported post

Forum Index
Get your own Bookmarks.
easy peasy

http://tiny.cc/kd69bx___
AZgl1500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum