LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2011, 02:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

I bought the item to replace my Hondaline CD player, and after installation, all I can hear is the songs in the root folder (cd1) and I cannot get the player to switch to the other folders. I checked to make sure none of the pins in the connector are bent, and have re-checked all connections a couple of times, no help. In the instructions it does not say anything about disconnecting battery. I have even contacted J&M with no help at all. Any help with this matter will be appreciated.
jameswebb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 02:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: GL1800
Send a message via Yahoo to wexy
Post imported post

The first thing you do when installing these is DISCONNECT the battery ,They may or may not work correctly without disconnecting the battery ,,but from my experience ,you need to disconnect the battery , I have seen all kinds of problems with them ,because the installer did not disconnect the battery ..So I think if you start again and disconnect the battery this time. Ciaran
Old 03-11-2011, 03:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

Thank you Ciaran for responding, so let me get this correct. 1. disconnect battery ( does it matter which terminalI take off of battery? negative or positive) 2. re-connect the player 3. re-connect battery.

I will try this later today.
jameswebb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

You have possibly already tried this but to change to the next folder you have to hold the switch up for a couple of seconds and it should then move to the next folder.

If you only press the switch quickly then it will jump to the next tune, the button needs to be held for about 2 seconds to change folders.

I also found that the system would lock to a folder and not move up or down to another folder, what I had done was to copy and paste tunes from my computer to the SD card placinbg the tune into whatever folder I wanted, in other words, I had 6 folders disc 1,2 etc and I would drop a tune into say folder 3 (Disc 3). This caused the player to lock and I had to turn the ignition off and back on to cure it.

Reading all documentation, in the end I purchased the software to help me load the tunes onto the SD card as described in the manual, so far so good all works as it should. Hope this helps a little.

Mick
tricky_micky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Goldwing Model: 2003 GL1800A
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Halfling
Post imported post

What year is your 1800? Some of the pre-2006 models have reacted in unusual ways to the J&M MP3 Player. I have a 2003 and mine worked ok for about a week and then it locked up. This is a known issue and there has been a lot of discussions about it. I think it's more about the radio than the actual player. If you do a google search you'll find tons of information. Pete at BikeMP3 has a new model that is similar to this but his new Version 3 takes care of this issue nicely. He had a "trade in" program about a month or two ago where you could trade in any MP3 player and for a modest fee get his V3. I traded in my J&M model and got his V3and haven't had any issues since. It even moves from one CD to the next without interaction which I really like.

Let me know if you need additional information.

2003 GL1800A Candy Durango Red
US Navy (77-93) EWC(SW)
Tennessee Traveler #1
Darksider # 817 (195-55-R16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP @ 29.5 lbs)
Proud Member of the NRA and GOA

"Seek out that particular mental attribute which makes you feel most deeply and vitally alive, along with which comes the inner voice which says, 'This is the real me,' and when you have found that attitude, follow it." - James Truslow Adams
Halfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum