LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2011, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

Do you have to pull apart the engine to pull the starter?

The starter is loose but the gear wont clear to pull it out .

Does the gear slide in and out, Also when I took it apart I dumped oil big time is that normal?

Wont staRT relay just clicks have 11.9 on meter from battery

Could use some help

just had a starter put in 3yrs ago do they go out that fast

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Arkansas Ridgerunner

Goldwing Model: GL1800 GL1100
Garage
Post imported post

The gear should come off the starter shaft and stay in the engine. If it's stuck on there and you can pull the starter out enough to get a screwdriver in between and pry it loose.
It must be over full of oil or it wouldn't have ran out.
11.9 volts is a dead battery, maybe you should try charging it before condemning the starter.
Darksider #304 the force is strong in this one.
NRA endowment life member
I am doing the best I can so don't give me any crap.
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow
2004 KLR650
DaveO430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

Thanks dave

On the starter the splines that go intothe engine will it push back into the starter

seems like on the back end a small shaft with splines sticks out and it goes in to the engine seems like it is attached to the starter

Old 04-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

I can't address how much has to be disassembled for you to get the starter out. A shop manual would be helpful. The left exhaust header might have to come off because the starter has to have room to slide forward to get it out of the block.

Battery voltage when fully charged (and the bike switched off) should be about 12.3 volts. When the starter engages the voltage usually falls to about 10.9 or so.

When you pull the starter motor you leave a big hole in the block and the oil level is above that hole.

Now for the part where the relay just clicks:

Put the starter back in for a minute. It needs to be in good enough to insure electrical contact because it grounds through it's housing.

Charge the battery full. Check the main ground wire to make sure the connection is clean. I'm not sure on your bike but on the 1000 it connects to the engine at the upper left motor mount (the triangle one) near the battery.
Put the bike in neutral and turn the kill switch off. Connect a voltmeter to the negative side of the battery and to the post on the starter. Hit the start button. You should have 12 volts or so at the starter. If you don't have 12 volts therethen the starter solenoid is suspect. If you do have 12 volts there and the starter isn't spinning then it might need rebuild (or new).

Another check is to connect a jumper cable to the positive battery terminal and then touch the other end of the jumper cable to the post on the starter motor. If it spins then you might have dirty contacts in the solenoid. Some can be carefully disassembled and the contacts can be cleaned up with sandpaper. Ifthe starterdoesn't spin with this test it's toast and definitely needs new or a rebuild.

I had a weird one on my 1000 -as I pushed the starter button I could hear the solenoid click but the starter didn't spin. What I couldn't hear was that when the starter button bottomed out the solenoid kicked back out. That was a head scratcher. I call it a poor man's anti-theft device since the button has to be pushed just right for the solenoid to stay energized so the starter spins. I'll fix it this summer when the weather warms up.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Down
Post imported post

mines an 85 aspencade too had to drop the left exhaust header and the one exhaust head stud closest to the starter, I also took off the shifter as well just not sure if i had to just made more room then you can wiggle it forward and out, also once you get to the point of taking it out have your bike on its side stand to keep the starter chain and sprocket close to the hole, the starter will slide out of the sprocket and then you can wiggle it a bit to get the splines lined up and slide it back in. And if you take the shifter off you can replace the shifter seal while its off real easy to do.

there will be a bit of oil pouring out just add more if its low when your done.. hope this helps.

85 GL 1200 Aspencade.
Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum