LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

I bought this bike last fall 87 aspy.Im noticing a ticking on left side of engine.Im using rotella T 15 40 oil.I ran seafoam through before oil change Still tickingWhen im cruising 100km it seems to go away.Is this just a wings normal noise or should I run some more seafoam and dump oil. It runs great other than this
4winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 94 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green
Post imported post

I think this is common on the 1200s. They have hydraulic adjusters to take the slack out of the valve train but they are still prone to making a ticking sound sometimes. The 85 LTd I had would do that sometimes but after riding a while it would quit. After a while I didn't pay any attention to it. It did that the whole 25 years I owned it and was still going strong when I sold it.

Only two things are infinite... the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein
Bellboy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

How many miles do you have on the bike? It could be a lifter hanging up a little and could be it just needs rode some to get things flowing right again.

jwhitmore44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

It just rolled over to 94000 kms it is just getting broke in:
4winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Post imported post

Just purchased my first bike EVER! It is a 1984 Goldwing GL1200 Aspencade. I know when I heard it running before I bought it I did not hear the ticking in the engine until I had it for a week.
I love the bike and am so sorry I did not learn to ride on a different bike. I have already torn off the aftermarket lights under the bike by running it off the road in a corner. This bike does not want to lean and turn like I would have expected. I am riding it everyday now. I am concerned that I will not pass the riding test for my licensing process. Any suggestions on how to prepare for that test?

jaich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Post imported post

The 1200 will lean and turn fine, it will lean so much the pegs will scrape with out an issue. Find a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) beginners course in your area if you can. That course will help you learn how to handle not only your wing but other bikes also.

jwhitmore44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: '84 Aspencade
Post imported post

4winds wrote:
Quote:
I bought this bike last fall 87 aspy.Im noticing a ticking on left side of engine.Im using rotella T 15 40 oil.I ran seafoam through before oil change Still tickingWhen im cruising 100km it seems to go away.Is this just a wings normal noise or should I run some more seafoam and dump oil. It runs great other than this
Bellboy is correct....they do have that ticking noise occasionally. The hydraulic lifter adjusters lose pressure sometimes. My '84 Aspy does it mostly after an oil change. It may do it for 100 miles or so and then it stops. Also, there is a valve collar that could be out of tolerance to one side. It has to be centered on the shaft it rides on. I think the tolerance is .10 inch on either side of the collar. You may check that.

It's not anything to be overly concerned about. As long as it's intermittent and not a constant ticking it's most likely one of the above or maybe both.

And, it has been mentioned, she may just need a good riding. And I mean twist her up and run for a while. I know my Aspy gets a little loud after many miles of cruising around town, but when I get her out on the highway and twist her up, those little noises disappear and she runs quiet as ever.

Good luck and let us know what you find!

To live you must be willing to die - Amir Vahedi

My father gets smarter everyday that he's gone.

I worried that I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.
Xtracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Post imported post

I realize that is a rider not a bike issue. Thanks for the help.
jaich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum