LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2011, 01:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

I was on here trying to find out how to remove the exhaust baffles from my 1983 Goldwing GL1100 standard. Nobody really new how and a couple of you asked me if I figured it out to share how I did it. So here I am telling you how I did it and it was really simple and painless.

The first thing you have to do is drill out the rivets at the end of the exhaust tips. Then you use a slide hammer with the single hooked attachment on the end. Put the hook all the way in, put pressure on the end of the baffle and hit it a couple of times with the slide hammer.

My baffles were the original and have never been taken out or repacked. They slid right out with no trouble at all. From the look of the fabric and the amount of crap that came out it should have been done a long time ago.

I am leaving them out, this is why I wanted to figure out how to remove them, I like the deep throaty sound that it makes with out them. Since it's all stripped down into a naked wing now it looks and sounds awesome.

I have included pics of the tool that I used to remove them.

Hope this helps....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steve' camera pictures 132.JPG (91.8 KB, 441 views)
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 03:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Post imported post

Are you now going to re-jet the carbs to match?

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist is?

"I never saw him".
unionjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

I have not noticed a need to re-jet on mine. From what I have read, the early wings are very tolerant to exhaust changes.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

Hey, outdoorsman, I like that seat. What kind is it? Did you make it?
Old 05-24-2011, 07:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Post imported post

I picked up my821100i last year about this time. 1st thing I noticed when it fired up was exhaust was shot..left side had packing sticking out of bottom and tail pipe was rusted out. Right side was not that much better. sounded like S...
upon getting home the 1st thing I did was cut off tail pipes an Inch or so behind the muffler. Nothing to lose there.
I then looked for some extensions to replace the ones that were there. I wanted to put on some fish tails but at $100.00 I figured the rest of the pipes were not in that good of shape and not worth the extra money.. I then scored a pair of turn down extensions off Craig s list for Free. Now we're talking.
the extensions gave me some back pressure and bike sounded and ran better.
I was going to put in some coarse Stainless steel wool but pipes look pretty tough .
I then (after reading posts on this site) opted to put on some Harley Bag'r mufflers. picked up a pair of brand new" take offs" for $30.00. I still need to come up with some hardware to mount them as well as get some custom adapter pipes bent to fit header pipes too mufflers ..
One thing that was noted in a post is Re-jetting Carbs. Keep an eye on plugs to see if its running lean. Mine appear to be ok with what I have done.
LB
Old 05-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Guy

Post imported post

My Gl1100 was way too quiet with the motad pattern stock exhaust. So quiet you'd fall asleep riding it. I got the grinder at it and cut 3" off the ends. I then drilled through the resonance chambers to get a decent bit of sound from it. I doesn't seem to bother the neighbours too much, but it's loud enough for other motorists to notice and move out of the way when filtering. I went up 2 sizes on the main jets to compensate and mixture/mileage seems about right.

CURRENT BIKES: GL1100, GS1100,

PREVIOUS BIKES: YAS3, Z200, KH250, KH400, H1500, ZR550, XS750, XJ750, GT750, TRX 850, GS850, GS1000G, RS100RS, XS1100, XJR1200, M2 Cyclone.
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
Post imported post

whee did you get the igger jets from

Wilf
wilf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Post imported post

IBMan,

My '82 Interstate has chrome turnout tips with just a bit of chicken wire crammed in the ends when Ibought it. I'm now in the process of hanging HD bagger take-offs too.

Bridging the header to the muffler turned out to be a bigger deal than you would think. The bends were too tight for the local muffler shop. One chopper shop wouldn't touch it (you'd think if ANYONE could do fab work, that a chopper shop could!). I think he couldn't handle the fact that there were more than TWO cylinders! A second chopper shop said he'd do it if I could bring it to him in September (sigh).

Finally found a vintage car rebuilder who is taking it on. I'll let you know the results when I get back from vacation.
77 CB550 K3
82 CM250C
82 GL1100 Interstate w/ Auburn Gemini (doublewide) Sidecar
Past Bikes:
------------------
What?? SELL a bike??

Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lots of things. You've been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
It is hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. Its having the right attitudes that's hard.

PGR since 2011
OldSchool_IsCool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Village Whack Job...

Goldwing Model: '81 GL1100 Interstate
Garage
Post imported post

Ok the reason you didn't need to re-jet, is that you didn't remove the baffles, you removed the silencers. The baffles are inside the larger portions of your exhaust commonly reffered to as a muffler. Baffles are ALWAYS inside the muffler, not inside the tips.

Removing the silencers though is a great way to get more sound out of your GoldWing exhaust without spending a lot of money or altering the air/fuel mixture.

Broke Winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Post imported post

I had the same problem as old school trying to find someone to fabricate stuff.
I've ended up chopping the muffler off up to the bracket and baffle (had to do it to clear the frame work) It's got a different sound to the straight through after market pipes that were on before and almost as noisy but deeper.
To keep the neighbours happy and the car alarms quiet I'm going to try packing the muffler chamber and sticking an end cap on.

With all the changes to the exhaust, the engine has still run the same. Had the carbs rebuilt 2 years ago by the stealership.

Also like the seat, wheres it from?
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum