LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Model: 1800
Post imported post

I haven't ordered a service manual for my new-to-me 2006 GL1800, but was kind of hoping to change the brake/clutch fluid this weekend. I had earlier seen several recommendations for SpeedBleeders, and they sounded like a decent idea so I ordered the 3 that they specified on their web page. But now looking at the bike, there are two bleed ports per caliper, so 6 total. Do I need to order 3 more SpeedBleeders to put one on each port? And that doesn't include the clutch, Arggggggg.

Guess I'd better order that manual this weekend and put the fluids off till spring. Rats.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Model: GL1200
Post imported post

yes you need to get them, the calippers on the 1800 have each two chambers that work separatelly so there is need to bleed each of them.

85\' GL 1200 Interstate - 40 MPG@75mph
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Model: 07 1800 "The Beast" 100K
Post imported post

Hello ED,
Can't say enough about the great quality and job the SpeedBleeders provide.
Down here the brake and clutch fluid is purged annually. You really should get the factory service manual, as it will build confidence in doing your own work. Don't quote me, but there are more bleeders than I think you counted. My bike being a ABS has 11 counting the single one for the clutch. I'm still in MI on tour and do not have access to the manual, so I can not verify such.

It is very important that you follow the manual in bleeding as there is a sequence that must be followed for ABS and probably for linked systems too.

You may find further help from others on the forum who have access to their manuals.

Hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MORE TAIL WAGGING and less barking please.

Heading for the sun set and checking the boxes along the way.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(until the keys are taken away)

Past rides:
Yamaha 65
Honda 85
Kawasaki 125
Penton 125
Zuki 185
Husky 250
Honda VTX 1300

Enjoying Florida, come-on-down
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Post imported post

yes there are 6 bleeders. LF caliper. RF caliper. secondary master cylinder. clutch. and 2 on the rear caliper. I did not see a fluid change/ bleed proceedure for the ABS. the manual covers the trouble codes. My guess is the procedure is the same for non-ABS as ABS systems

RIDE\' em IF YOU GOT\' em
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 09:44 PM
junior moderator
Model: GL1800 GL1100
Post imported post

There is another one on top of the anti-dive valve also. You don't need speed bleeders anyway. Put a clear hose on the bleeder and into a container, open it 1/4 turn then squeeze/pump the lever/pedal then let it out not too quickly then pause a second or 2 and do it again until clean fluid comes out. All of them but one on each front caliper bleed from the rear brake pedal. except the clutch of course.

Darksider #304 the force is strong in this one.
NRA endowment life member
Bright lights, protective gear and paying attention saves lives. Loud pipes just annoy the people behind you.
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow
2004 KLR650
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 12:47 AM
Post imported post

Dave0430's method works great. An old battery bleeder hose will work. This turns bleeding brakes on any vehicle into a one man job.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Model: 1800
Post imported post

Ok, I guess it's a job for spring then. Just ordered a manual. Thanks very much for the feedback.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 12:58 AM
Model: 04 GL1800
Send a message via MSN to pcfix_3 Send a message via Yahoo to pcfix_3
Post imported post

I'm going to do this with my bike soon and I plan on using a vac system from harbor freight to do the job. I've never used it before, but I believe that it's as simple as hooking the hose up to the bleed ports opening them a crack and pumping the vacuum. there's cheaper ways of doing the vacuum thing as well which you might find in a search on here. good luck.

I got my cookies at the First Eastern M&G!! (Darksider) Come get your cookies (darksider or not) at the next one this September in Front Royal

Total Bike Miles: 60,000+ and counting.
Current rides: 04 GL1800 (my baby), 08 Toyota RAV4, 86 Toyota Pickup Custom Cab Turbo 4X4 (My other baby).
Previous Rides:
1980 Suzuki GS1000, USS Louisiana Gold (SSBN 743)

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page