Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GL 1500 Spark Plugs & wires

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Huck 
#1 ·
imported post

OK two part Question here...

1. Has anyone found a good set of plugs out there? What makes something like Iridiums so special... I'm looking at the new multi pronged ground electrodes... Does this create exra heat? .

2. My bike is an 89 with original wires... Does anyone know of an aftermarket set of wire or is the only option Honda OEM? (I'm assuing that after 21 years/120K miles it's time to replace/upgrade.)

Looking for any feedback pro or con???:?

#2 ·
imported post

Best plug is NGK dpr7ea-9 ( dpr6ea-9 for WERY cold climate , dpr8ea-9 for EXTREME high speed riding ).
I have newer seen a plug wire fail on the 1500 , (ewen with the triple of your miles ), -so if the plugs has the rigth color,when removed for change , i wouldnt change the wires .

#3 ·
imported post

You can get NGK plug caps new, they have a listing which one fits the 1500 where they are sold, usually a M/C shop other than a dealer, though some may carry them and bulk wire and make your own. The local repair shop here in town carries both.

#4 ·
imported post

There have been several threads about this, but to sum up:
A stock type plug is just dandy and one can not prove much benefit if any from anything else. Some will swear by the most expensive plug on the market. But, many others here go 3, 4, 5 times the recommended mileage on stockers with equivalent economy and power.
As for the wires, i would not mess with them unless you have to mess with them.

#5 ·
imported post

I agree...I would not mess with the plug wires unless needed.....also If yours is like mine...the wires are built into the coils....so you have to replace the coils and wires......I had to replace mine as one coil went bad...so I replaced all three....

#6 ·
imported post

I beg to differ… the coils and the wires are sold seperately… at least from Honda. If you bought coils from a salvage yard they wouldn't want to bother taking them apart.

The coil wires have a plastic nut that attaches the wire into the coil. I do agree that you should be REALLY sure you need to replace the wires… they are a real pain to replace. My 88 still has the stock wires on them.

Years ago I replaced the OEM wires on my CB900F with straight wires. It ran great but I didn't have a radio or other electronics on the 900F. For the Gold Wing I'd stay with the OEM wires… because they have TVRS resistance. TVRS is TeleVision Radio Suppression…. so the wires don't cause static in radios or televisions.

#7 ·
imported post

Ray
I did it on my 83 Aspy and had no problem w/radio interference. Just used the 7mm bulk wire the local repair shop had on hand and new NGK plug caps from them too. $27(4 cyl) and the bike was starting much better on damp days.

#8 ·
#9 ·
imported post

Got it... Leav'em alone...

Was justtrying to think ahead as I've been on this 1989 Wing since 1994 and would like to still beriding it around until 2034. Shoulda known something Honda threw on the GL was gonna last longer than me. After all they do all still provide a bite when I stick my tongue to it and hit the starter button ;)so why fix it if it ain't broke.

Guess when the wires do finally give up I'llcome up with a solution then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.