Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolant temp GL1500, where does it read on your gauge?

10K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  Bluewaterhooker0 
#1 ·
imported post

Finally got to ride the bike today after working on itfor the last 4 days, noticed the temp gauge looked like it was running high. The fans did come on when it got near the top mark, but was just wondering where it usually runs for you guys, it is a 95' 1500. Checked coolant and its dead on by the manual. Can't see any leaks under the bike, thanks for all your help

#2 ·
imported post

Normally the temperature gage reads at 1/4 - Middle... only rarely does it go above that.

If yours is constantly high, then it could be:
-Low Fluid level
-Bad Radiator Cap
-Bad temperature sensor
-Dirty temperature sensor (eg Crud on the part that goes into the left radiator)

#7 ·
imported post

My temp gauge reads about 1/4 most of the time. When in heavy traffic or otherwise slow going it will climb to about 1/2 way or slightly more until the fans come on then it goes back down.

#8 ·
imported post

Ok thats what I was thinking it should be running, mine is too warm. I think we have narrowed it down to 1 of 2 things, either the previous owner put straight antifreeze in it, and it can't cool, or the thermostat is stuck open. It will be next week before I get a chance to work on it at length again due to work, but I will try and check the coolant with a tester and see what I find, thanks for all the help

#9 ·
imported post

Today, took a long ride at 86*
running 70 mph the gauge was about a 1/4 inch below the top line.

Stopped waiting on very long light, it crept up about an 1/8 inch below the line then the fans kicked in and down it went.

Got home and parked it in the garage, the fans were running. Left the key ON until they stopped which only took about 30 seconds.

Gauge still about a 1/4 inch below the line. So yours is about normal for warm weather.

Back in December, the gauge stayed about a 1/4 inch off the bottom.

#12 ·
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Today, took a long ride at 86*
running 70 mph the gauge was about a 1/4 inch below the top line.

Stopped waiting on very long light, it crept up about an 1/8 inch below the line then the fans kicked in and down it went.

Got home and parked it in the garage, the fans were running. Left the key ON until they stopped which only took about 30 seconds.

Gauge still about a 1/4 inch below the line. So yours is about normal for warm weather.

Back in December, the gauge stayed about a 1/4 inch off the bottom.
JOHN, HAVE YOU TRIED THE 2 CYCLE OIL IN YOUR GAS TRICK? ON MY 1997 IT BROUGHT MY RUNNING TEMP (sorry cap lock on) down from 1/2 most of the time to 1/4 on the gauge all the time. Very seldom does it get up to 1/2 on the gaugehere in central California. I haven't seen any gas milage increase tho....-Rich

#13 ·
imported post

Here in south Texas my 93 runs 1/4 in the winter (HA HA, yeah winter) and about 1/3 most of the year. At stop lights it gets up to about 1/2 way for a long wait and at about 2/3 the fans come on.

#15 ·
imported post

Ok,my idiot gauge was reading for the most part right in the middle to slightly right of center during riding. When I had to stop, it would creep up to close to 3/4 then come back down during movement. After I got it back home, I left it running until the fans kicked in, it was almost to the top mark on the gauge, would cool down some then back up after the fans went off, could my gauge be a little off. I checked the coolant, and it checked to +5 degrees cold. I am thinking maybe too much antifreeze and not enough water, opinions please. thanks

#16 ·
imported post

If you have, or can get your hands on, a digital infrared thermomter, check the temperature on the radiator fins with the bike running and at normal termperature..It should be hotter near the top and progressively lower towards the bottom of the radiator. The thermostat starts to open around 180° and should be fully open at around 200°.

#17 ·
imported post

Thanks Larry, I checked the coolant in the bike with a tester and came up to +5, bought a gallon of 50/50 today and checked it, +5, so that eliminates the coolant. I thought about a new radiator cap but this one seems to be working correctly. I have a ride planned for Thursday and just don't want to press my luck. I also think it could be a gauge issue, just weary of it right now. As previously posted fans came on, temp went down, but it just ran a little on the high side for my comfort, thanks again

#18 ·
imported post

My bike normally runs about half when riding and in traffic it will go up to a little under 3/4 and the fans will kick on and come back down. This topic has me thinking that my bike is running a little hot so I did a search and it seems its a 60-40 split that my bike is running a little hot. As my bike is new to me its just starting to get warm out I did notice the needle a little higher then in cold weather as is to be expected with the change of seasons.

#19 ·
imported post

Ok thanks, that makes me feel alot better, even though this is a 95', it has only 37K aand still seems tight, maybe as it gets some miles it will come down, may have a temp sensor that is a little off. Thanks again for replying, again it takes some pressure off as to riding it on a trip.

#20 ·
imported post

When I flushed my system I switched from green to orange ( dex-cool ) it wasn't because it last longer I was told it was better.If anyone can chime in and let me know if there is a difference please let me know if switching back to green will bring the temp down a little I'll for sure switch back over to green....Thanx

#21 ·
imported post

I have a 93 Aspencade and normal for me is about 1/3 to a bit under 1/2 in normal 80 degrees or so. When it is over 90 it runs about 1/2. I have a fairly crowded commute and stop and go for 15 or 20 minutes or so during a 45 mile commute,then temp goes to 3/4 or a bit higher before the fans turn on. Doesn't cool much before I start moving but in 10K miles never had a over heat issue.

#22 ·
imported post

I have been curious also about the "normal" operating temp of a 1500. My '93 is very similar to Sauceman in the above post. My '84 1200 however runs at about 1/4 to 1/3 maximum on the gauge at all times, on the understanding that they are different bikes with different characteristics,does the tuning of the bike make a difference to the "normal" operating temp?....the reason I ask is the 1200 runs a little rich and I have not balanced the carbs since completion of it as a 1st project. The 1500, now almost complete, runs with plugs grey and dry, and have balanced the carbs recently.I have had the rads out, full flush new and correct coolant, new thermostat, not because of any known issues, but just as part of the project. I am happy with both bikes but am just curious really to know from an engine guru if this could be a reason for the variation in some of the posts in answer to the question from quikcarl61?
Cheers,
Peter.

#23 ·
Hi temp due to bad ground

My 2kSE indicated high temp although it didn't feel like it was running hot. I'd changed the thermostat, temp sender and fan switch with no benefit. I finally noticed that the gage would jump a little when I got on the brakes leaving the freeway. My problem turned out to be a bad ground! The point where the engine is grounded to the negative cable of the battery just above the dipstick appeared tight, but the bolt had been overtightened and had stripped the casting in the block. Once that ground was good, temps stay between 1/4 and 1/2 range. Fans cut on at a little over half.

#24 ·
My '97 1500SE generally runs at about 1/3 at any reasonable highway speed, and most any air temp (Florida). In stop and go traffic or slow speeds (25-35mph) it runs about 1/2. In heavy traffic or stuck in traffic, it will generally turn the fans on at about 2/3, well below the red line. Had a lot of fan action in Daytona at Bike Week down by the beach. Flushed and refilled with Prestone 50/50 factory mix when I got the bike around November. Ran good before, and no noticeable change after. But I now know the age of the coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.