Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Austone Taxi Tire (Follow up with E3)

5K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  wpgfire 
#1 ·
imported post

After 3 weeks and just under 300 miles, trying this "experiment", I am pulling the Austone Taxi tire and the Michelin Activ and switching to back to E3s. I don't have much to report that is positive. I attribute these problems to the Austone. The Michelin just got caught in the middle.
Negative:
The Austone just doesn't track true. It follows the tar snakes, any cracks in the road as well as any ridges in the road, even hitting a bump causes a floating sensation. Riding in a strong head wind was actually scarey. I have experimented with pressures from 40 to 55 lbs with no change. Now the final deciding factor was at speeds above 80 mph on a perfectly smooth road the bike started to get very squirrelly and at 85 wow. Nope not happening!!!!
The Austone rubs the inner fender at the front and the top even after removing the "mudflap". I could even smell the plastic melting.

Positive: :?

A buddy who is a member here is experiencing similar problems but he can speak for himself if he wants to.

If anyone wants to buy this set of tires with less than 300 miles on them they are yours for $200 plus shipping. Comes with the above caveat included at no additional cost.

See less See more
#2 ·
imported post

If you think the tracking is the Austone, just put the rear E3 on and try that to know for sure. 1 at a time is the only way to be accurate in your reporting Tom.
Are all your bearings good, wheel, swing arm and Steering head bearings good and adjusted properly?
Also the shocks and bushings on them, are they good?
Is the front suspension fresh, new fork oil and proper amount, good springs, good bushings?
All these will play in how the bike tracks and handles.

#3 ·
imported post

"Everything" is fresh and adjusted properly. Progressive springs, Rebuilt forks 15wt oil. New and properly torqued steering head bearings. Swing arm lubed and torqued. Wheel bearings tested and good. Tried rear shock pressure from 0 to 60 lbs. My bike is a 93 the other is a 98. Both with almost the exact problems. The 98 has been replaced with new E3s already and no more problems, every thing is back to "normal".

#4 ·
imported post

Follow up. I forgot to mention that the 98 only had the Austone on the rear with the E3 on the front. The problems were there with that combination. We never had a chance to mount the Michelin on the front. So I am positive the problem is with the Austone.

#6 ·
imported post

Might be a problem with that particular tire, it happens all the time with car tires.

#7 ·
imported post

93Wing wrote:
Might be a problem with that particular tire, it happens all the time with car tires.
You mean "those" particular tires? I have no idea. :?

#9 ·
imported post

dingdong wrote:
93Wing wrote:
No, with just that tire itself. I have had bad, "new" tires before with shifted belts, bulges and the like.

#10 ·
imported post

STUPID ? HERE. WHO MAKES THIS AUSTONE TAXI TIRE AND WHEREDOES ONE BUY ONE?

#11 ·
imported post

I Have worked in car tire centers and I remember this.

Sometime we had to dismount and reverse the tire on the rim some tire due to some internal minor irregularity in the manufacturing would make the tire work better in one direction than an other like pull to one side... Could that be the cause of this isolated case ?????

#12 ·
imported post

Hey John. I'm not sure if more than 300 miles would have made any difference. I realize that Dustyboots and others say some break in miles are needed but the way this tire handled, "on my bike", above 80 mph was more than enough miles for me. It was almost like I was hydro-planing and it got progressively worse until I shut it down at 85mph.
Whatever the reason for this, at this point, I would rather go back to a known good performing tire.

#13 ·
imported post

93Wing wrote:
dingdong wrote:
93Wing wrote:
No, with just that tire itself. I have had bad, "new" tires before with shifted belts, bulges and the like.
93wing. There are 2 separate tires involved here on 2 different bikes purchased at different times.

#14 ·
imported post

dingdong wrote:
93Wing wrote:
dingdong wrote:
93Wing wrote:
93wing. There are 2 separate tires involved here on 2 different bikes purchased at different times.
Ok, I was referring to the taxi tire and your comments that you had tried it on another bike with a E3 tire on the front and had the same problem.

#15 ·
imported post

Thanks for the report, Tom. :claps:I have a new E3 on the front and was undecided on a replacement for the rear E3. All in all, the only negative the E3s have for me is the buzz when cornering. At this point, I'm thinking about skipping the taxi tire and just getting another E3 on the rear.

John

#17 ·
imported post

Hello all,

I'm Tom's friend with the 1998. For me this was a very interesting experiment. With all I have read about this tire and my upcoming trip to Alaska, I had high hopes for the Austone. I felt it would give me more stability, better traction, and a better ride.

I found on blacktop in good shape that I could feel no difference at all, but if the blacktop was in poor shape or I was riding grooved a concrete slab interstate the bike became quite squirly. It really was not enough to completely scare me, but not knowing the road surfaces I will be facing on my 9,000+ mile journey I felt it would be best to stop the experiment and go back to a set of E3s. The squirliness was amplified with two up and a loaded trailer. I was contemplating putting the Austone back on upon my return to experiment some more with it until Tom and I pulled the rear wheel. We saw the image below.

We did remove the mud flap, but the tire still scraped the front section of the rear fender. It actually wore a hole through it. It also rubbed the top of the inner fender, you can see the photos here (the rear shock was set to 70): http://www.flickr.com/photos/78221080@N03/7168126684/in/photostream

I was wondering why I sometimes could smell a very faint sent of burning plastic. I just thought it was a car or something else, turned out it was me.

Anyway, no more darkside for me. I will stick to the opinion that motorcycle tires are for motorcycles and car tires are for cars.

I know there are others who have had success with these tires, it's just not for me.

I too have put my Austone up for sale, if you are interested you can find it in the for sale section.

Thanks,
Ed

Attachments

#18 ·
imported post

Too bad.

I have had mine up well over 100mph and it was rock steady .... way more stable than the Formoza and was less affected by uneven pavement/ruts as well. No problems with tar snakes :?

You probably would have freaked with the Formoza, or any of the 60 series tire as they are a lot more 'squishy' and do tend to 'wander' a lot to start with, requiring considerably more input to keep going straight. Don't really know if that lessens, or you become used to that fact, although I think it lessens. I never noticed any wandering with the Austone, even when brand new. My 1st outing with it was close to a 400 miler and it ran out beautifully. The Austone is a lot more MC tire like than the Formoza when it comes to handling. I like it and will be sticking with it. I have over 20,000km/13,000mi on it and will stick with it. If the handling of ithadnot showna substantial improvement over the Formoza, I'd be back on the E3 on the rear. I have returned to the E3 up front, as I didn't find any real mileage 'gain' with a rear tire on the front

Main thing is that you were not comfortable with it and went back to with what you were. Wise decision

#20 ·
imported post

Everything I read about the tire was positive. It sounded like it would last longer, grip better in the rain, and give better traction in the dirt. Frankly, my curiosity got me.

It sounded like the perfect tire for the Alaska trip. The reason for my post is to let others know my experience so they can draw their own conclusions.

I did find it interesting that both Tom and I had the exact same experience with the tire (except the speed thing, I'm a slow poke so I did not get to experience what he did). What was really disturbing to me was what it did to my inner fender. Everything I read indicated that there was plenty of clearance if you removed the mud flap, this was not the case in my situation.

It's just not for me. With the E3s back on the bike, it is stable and rides straight as an arrow again.

Ed

#21 ·
imported post

I had those same kind of problems when I ran E3's on my chevy pick up.

;)

Fonz, did you know that Henry Winkler wasvery muchafraid of motorcycles.

#23 ·
imported post

Interesting situation, having the same problem on different bikes. So much so that I immediately went outside and investigated my own bike to see if I was experiencing any of the rubbing you had. None. And no evidence that there ever was any. I've got close to 7000 miles on my Austone and it just gets better. At any speed. And on any surface. And I've pulled my Leesurelite with the Austone 2-up for about 300 miles. Handled great.
I'm sure curious as to what's different about your bikes? I'm suspecting there was a variation in the batch of tires you got yours from. Can't think of any other explanation.
You're right to go to a tire you're comfortable with. As with any tire, no two people will feel the same about how a particular brand handles/holds/lasts/sounds. Best to go with your own comfort levels.
Ride Safe :action:

#24 ·
imported post

FeButter wrote:
I had those same kind of problems when I ran E3's on my chevy pick up.

;)

Fonz, did you know that Henry Winkler wasvery muchafraid of motorcycles.
The Fonz, AFRAID OF MOTORCYCLES?????
Man you have done burst the bubble bro!

#25 ·
imported post

As for the rubbing of the plastic inner fender, it is held into position by bent metal tabs. You need to be sure it is positioned as far back as possible and bend the metal tabs to hold in this position. When this was done on mine, no rubbing of any kind. I am sorry you were not happy and successful with the Austone. I have several K on this tire and it has been working well. As for the speed, 85 is just to dam fast you have more going on at that speed then just rear tire concerns.

#26 ·
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
I have been kind of skeptical about that tire at high speed because of the high profile. A solution to that Tom would be to SLOW DOWN. And don't do as I do, do as I say. :lash:
But! But! Aw man I just can't do it. Spoil sport. :raspberry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.