Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GL1200 radiator cap

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  unionjk 
#1 ·
imported post

I'm trying to put fliud in but don't know where it is.

#2 ·
imported post

Right side, between the fairing and forks, it sits pretty low down in there, and it's a bitch to see and worse to reach. If you can't find it I'll try to snap a pic for you.

#4 ·
imported post

You don't have to pull the fairing, just the false tank. You can't see the cap in the pic, but trust me, it's pretty much directly under the false tank right where the arrow is pointing. If you lean over and stick your head down there, you should just be able to see the edge of it with the tank still on.

#5 ·
imported post

Turn your handle bars to the left and you will see it you can reach down and touch it pain in the butt.Take in mind you also have to fill the recovery bottle too once you crack the radiator antifreeze will go everywhere.If you are going to put new antifreeze in the bike.I know its a pain take the false tank off this way you can see everything better and get to the radiator cap and the recovery tank fill the radiator first and put the cap on and fill the recovery tank to the proper line.

#6 ·
imported post

trust taking the false tank is an easy task once you learn the system

1)pull left and right cover off,remove seat
2)remove four(4) screws on left and right pockets and remove
3)remove the rt/lft fork covers
4)open tank and remove tool tray
5)remove the four (4) 10mm bolt front and back of tank
6) LTD ands SEI's require the cables to travel computer to be unplugged
7)lift up and pull back gently to remove tank

everything is accessible for the most part after this,radiator cap,fusebox and connectors,reserve tank,
process only takes about 15 minutes first time off,but its
something that after awhile will become an easy task,trying to work on a 1200 w/o removing the tank usually makes diagnosing a problem 10X harder,trust me we all learned the same way

#7 ·
imported post

With the handlebars full left lock you can see it down beside the right side of the steering column. To remove/re-install it stand on the right side of the bike facing the rear bags, now reach back behind you with your right hand down in there and you can access it just fine. If you are facing forwards your wrist cannot bend correctly to get a hold of the cap.
I have a funnel with about 12-18" of garden hose attached to it, I ground the bottom end of the hose for a good fit into the radiator filler neck, this makes filling the radiator very easy to do.
One time I did drop the cap down behind the radiator when installing it, that took a few frustrating minutes to get back out again, but my wife's smaller hands can do this even easier than my large hands can, I found this out when she was able to reach down and retrieve the cap for me. I can remove and install the cap fairly easily myself, but she can do so even easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.