Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1988 GL1500 Alternator

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  newday777 
#1 ·
imported post

I have a 1988 GL1500, Brushes went out at 22,000 miles after a rebrush. I have replaced the rear bearing, however the front bearing has questionable play in it.

I dont know if this caused the early brush wear or not. I ordered new brushes, but also looking into using a 1990-2000 LR140-708 alternator. I before spending the money would like to know if anyone has made this change. As I understand you have to drill out the Mounting holes to accomidate the sholder bolts used on the 1988 and 1989 models.I am looking to confirm this inforamtion. The alternators look the same except for the holes for the bolts. on my LR140-707 the holes have steel bushings that the bolts go thru, on the newer ones when you drill out the holes your

putting steel bolts thru aluminum holes and looking for issues with corrosion, I can use neverseize and antioc compounds to minimize this. I would like to hear from someone that has don this with there results. They want 184.00 to replace the front housing and roter assembly and I can but the alternatoer new on ebay for 154.00 plus shipping. I can get a 85 amp or 180.00 plus shipping but dont want to spend this untill I know for sure it will work.

Thanks in advance

Randy

See less See more
#3 ·
imported post

Would it be better to buy the mounting bolts for the later model? That way if you're on the road with no drill in your saddlebag, you could buy either replacement to get going again.

#5 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.