Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

No Spark getting to GL1200 Spark Plugs

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Mr.Mountainman 
#1 ·
imported post

My bike has been sitting for a while because I think the stator needs to be replaced (drains the battery dead every time I ride it). I had a smaller battery out of a '83 Yamaha 750 and hooked it up to my bike. Cranked it over and it wouldn't start. We tried starting it for a bit, smelled gas out the back. We then pulled a plug wire and checked for spark and there was NONE. So I'm trying to get my bike back to my house and can't even get it started...
I would be grateful for some advise on what may be the problem and how to go about fixing it.

Thanks,

#3 ·
imported post

Second guess is that the small battery isn't up to the job.
The battery has to be big enough to crank the engine over while still providing enough voltage to run the ignition.

Try jump starting it from a car battery, car not running of course.

#4 ·
imported post

Um...what happens if I tried to jump it from a car and had the car on? That is what I tried and it still didn't get spark. My buddy brought his V-meter and checked all of the things he felt pertinent and it seems in order. Where does the spark originate from on this bike? Like is it from the coil, distributor to the wires and then plugs? I'm getting the owners repair manual soon but until then

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.