LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

Hate to admit but the legs are starting to go. I fear a drop at a busy 5pm intersection becauseI can't bet my feet down quickly enough.

Can't afford the 4-6-8 thousand kits so have been lookinbg at the add on wheels kits and the hydraulic retractable kits. I like the latter because the motorcycle functions as normal until you come to a stop.

I have seen some videos of the retract kind but no pricing. Anyone out there familiar with these rigs and have an opinion and pricing info, install info?
RimRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Irish Crew

Post imported post

I remember this being discussed before, and as far as I remember the kits are no longer made.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
RB

Send a message via AIM to RB
Post imported post

They appear on eBay every once in a while $1000+
1979 GL1000 parting out PM if you\'re looking for something
1975 sold
1978 sold
1981 sold
1982 sold
1982 sold
1983 A sold
1997 1500 SE..New daily rider
1999 1500 SE SOLD
FAIR WINDS,
RB
RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

I thought this was the best looking kit and it worked great. I'ld prefer it to a strap on Voyager for looks and fun .... but that's just me. This is on my old buddy's bike (he's passed away, the bike sold). Originally it did not come with the skirts but he got the preproduction skirts to install and worked out the linkage so they always stayed level even as the wheels went up / down. The wheels stayed up unless he pressed a button to drop, and then they would not drop until under a very slow speed setting .... and they raised automatically once under way .... but they could also be raised by a buitton push if desired.
On intersections where the roadway leaned a lot, they did lean the bike with the roadway so you had to take off leaning and learn to transfer to straight upand get it up fast ... or as he did ... use the leg on the high side to keep the bike up and keep the wheels up.

When up, the wheels and the skirts remaining level came up high enough that the first part to drag was still the Bike in a corner, and the skirts tied the looks together. There was a time when I only had my 1200, no trike, and as much as I liked Trikes, I had thought that if the need presented itself due to age / injury, this would be my choice. I recall very well the day I was leading a ride with them and I was riding conservatively as I was mindful of them (he and misses).... and after awhile he said he would like to lead awhile .... on Rt 20 in West Va. Haha ... I was too busy keeping up thento take pictures but he had the bike almost scraping at times that day .... he was having FUN.

I know the company sold, and seems to me it went OOB.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Norb and Cathys GL1500 at Otter Creek.jpg (193.8 KB, 146 views)
...( Pearl Vintage Red w/ Rose insert )
'74 Triumph T-150V Trident
...( it's a Triple )

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
CrystalPistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Post imported post

Here's a couple photos from rear at rest. The wheels allowed him to keep it on the verticle with confidence on level or only slightly of level stops if desired, and acted as "ambidextrius" prop stands when parked.

The bike was white with grey inserts bordered by green striping and the skirts were paited to match and roughly speaking, when underway, their tops were not quite as high as top of saddle bags. Access was no issue as they were down when loading / unloading.

I always, and still feel .... would look even better with a small LED clearence light on top of skirt maybe, something smoothly rounded and amber to front annd red to rear.

Or maybe a red "tail LED" and a amber "front LED". Have to look at shapes and sizes and find something that did NOT detract from shape of skirts.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6-6-04 fg.JPG (131.0 KB, 145 views)
...( Pearl Vintage Red w/ Rose insert )
'74 Triumph T-150V Trident
...( it's a Triple )

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
CrystalPistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Post imported post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8nC0...eature=related

Not exactly what is pictured above but very close. I have not checked on price....-Rich
Redeye1620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Vintage Rider

Goldwing Model: none at present
Post imported post

I certainly understand the money problems, being unemployed at the moment, and facing the possibility of being on disability for the rest of my life. I am seriously looking at the possibility of a Voyager kit. I did once say I would never consider such a thing, but am now rethinking it. Problem is I currently have a 1200 which is not in the best of condition, though it ran fine the last time I rode it. I don't want to spend a lot of money for one of those kits and then have the bike go belly up on me. I would like to get a 1500 in nice condition, and get a kit for that. Will just have to wait and see how things go, both physically and financially. I don't know if I would trust one of those retractable setups, what if they failed?
Save the environment. STOP the developers.
PGR member since 2007
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Goldwing Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

The Company that made the best landing gears was a company in New Orleans. Hurricane Katrina tore that company totally up, what wasn't destoried by high water, looters got the rest...The owner never openned his doors again...Now here is that first
working" hands off "Landing gear"...Notice wheels come up and go down at the speeds you selected..Or you could manually over ride the automatic controls...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOhP1HTZQwY

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: MY BIKES: 1976 GL1000 LTD, 1988 GL1500, 1985 GL1200I, 1977 GL1000
Post imported post

IMHO: Go trike, sidecar, or other that keeps the added wheels on the ground.

I have ridden one with retractables, and as mentioned, taking off from a stop can be life threatening.

Bill
77Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Vintage Rider

Goldwing Model: none at present
Post imported post

Now that is impressive. Barely even noticable.
Save the environment. STOP the developers.
PGR member since 2007
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum