LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default GL1200. How to install a Voltage Regulator/Rectifier?

How to install a Voltage Regulator/Rectifier on 1986 Aspencade 1200? I already have a replacement one just trying to find how to get to the factory one. What do you need to remove and in what sequence? I am getting 15vdc at 3000rpm and only 12.1vdc at idle. My battery runs down on long rides (2hrs or more). I went to the local GW club and several members that had 1200s previously suggested I start with a voltage reg replacement. Just would like help getting to it and changing it out. I took off the seat and battery and am not seeing it...Where do I start brothers??? Thanks in advance!
spectre53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

it should be under the false tank
mowerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 2003

It is under the false tank. Just in front of the fuse block. Unhook the battery unplug it and unbolt from frame.
Removing the false tank is a must, both side panels 2-10mm bolts, then 2 more bolts under neath the the plastic fillers below the handle bars and it should pull off.
You'll see it, then make sure you check all the connection particularly the 3 yellow wires connection.
Have you done the 3 yellow wire from the stator yet?
If that hasn't been done yet that is where I'd start.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

it sould be under the false tank but may not be your problem there are many tread on checking charging system do a search
mowerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 87 Aspy,SEI,LTD
Garage
Send a message via AIM to neoracer Send a message via Yahoo to neoracer
Default regulator

since most likely you are measuring voltages at home and not on the road,it is possible that once on the road the connections on the stator plug,rectifier or the starter solenoid connector are heating up and so the battery is not being kept charged,check all these areas for poor or brunt wires or connectors

any chance you are running driving or foglights?

you might also want to check the water level on battery if you have a lead acid style battery

86 SEI 84K 87 Aspy 117K 85 LTD 34K (refurb)
neoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

I wonder if you really have a problem with the regulator. My 85 Aspy has about those numbers, 12 at idle and about 15 at 3000 rpm. Why do you say the battery runs down? Is it hard to start? Do you have to put a charger on it overnight to restart?

Two things come to mind. The starter needs to be removed and cleaned and possibly new brushes or the battery is shot. That 12.1 at idle is a little low making me think the battery has seen it's better days. Also when was the last time you checked the water level in the battery? Running a 15v would certainly boil the water out in a month or so. With any of the old 4 Cylinder GL's you should check and top up the water level in the battery every month during the riding season. Us ONLY distilled water. Very cheap at department and grocery stores. Like a dollar a gallon. I went to Dollar General and bought a $1 mustard and Ketchup squeeze bottles. I fill them with distilled water and use them to top up the battery. Very inexpensive and doesn't spill water all over the place.

NOTE: the regulators are very robust and rarely have I heard of one failing. So that is the last thing I'd worry about. When they do fail they usually put out no voltage or very little.. So you'd see about 11.5 at 3000 rpm or 18v at 3000 rpm with a bad regulator.
jdvorchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1985 Limited Edition GL1200

As was said, check that battery out!! 15vdc will dry it out bigtime!! Also it doesn't sound like you have a regulator or stator problem as much as an overcharging problem and that's easy enough to check once you make sure you've got a good battery!!

What I would do is first mount a volt meter, a cheap multimeter will work, on the bike and ride her for say about 25-30 miles or so to give you a good idea of what the charging system is doing over a period of time. If the regulator has a diode going out, the charging voltage will drop during the ride due to it heating up. But if the voltage stay's around 15vdc, I'd say the problem is the black wire going to the regulator is not supplying an accurate voltage to the regulator. Here's how I would check it...

After locating the regulator and it's connector I'd cut the black wire about 1.5" from the connector on the system side of the connector. Next run a fused, (7.5amp will do), test wire from the positive side of the battery to the black wire from the regulator connector and twist them together. MAKE SURE THE CONNECTION IS CLEAR OF ANY GROUND POINTS!!! Tape over the twist connection just to make sure!!! Fire up the bike and see what the voltage is. I'd bet a dollar agin' a doughnut the idle voltage will higher, around 13.5 or so, and the voltage will be 14-14.5vdc @ 3000rpm.

If that's the case, let us know and I'll see if I can find a post glhonda made on this modification to install a relay in the black wire circuit!

Good luck with her and let us know what you find out!!

BTW, you need to remove the seat to get the fake tank fairing off....

1985 Gl1200 Limited Edition
roscoepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Other side of the pond

Goldwing Model: GL1800, GL1500SE, GL1200A

Removing the false tank looks easy enough:

Old 02-14-2014, 11:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 85 LTD 1200
Default rectifier check

First off, is there a video out there that shows the removal of an LTD regulator/rectifier? I though mine was missing. Seems the PO mounted it inside the left lower fairing. I can see it from the larger open vent on the left side. That explains all the wiring mess up above. Hmmmmm........
Initial look doesn't show any burnt wiring but I will have to remove all the left lowers to expose the mess.
The way she sets now, with all the extra doo dads off, she still won't read over 13.3 on the volt meter, same with the battery post while she's running. 12.2 thereabouts at idle. Poked the yellows around the battery area with a setting of DC 20 and read 6.2 each wire so I gues the stator is putting out. The right side where the solonoid is looks like another mess, kinda globbled up.
Should I post some pics? BTW, I just picked up this beast.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 85 LTD 1200

My profile pics is my other LTD purchased Dec 2011. The mech who has it said he had to replace the.....voltage suppressor? It was jumping between 12 and 14. Still haven't gotten it back to check it out. I reckon I will have to learn to do these things myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum