LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Model: '08 GL1800
Suspension Upgrade Questions, GL1800

I'm having trouble comparing apples to apples regarding suspension upgrades. Will someone please list all the ingredients for a "full monty" or a "mega monty"! What comprises a full and complete suspension upgrage.

I undestand that Traxxion, Race Tech and Progressive all have suspension parts, but do they all have ALL the parts? Thanks.

Chief

Combat Vets Asso. San Antonio
PGR San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 05:17 PM

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Sempai
Well, I've not had much experience with any suspension upgrades myself, but I've a friend that had Traxxion redo the forks on his TL1000. "UPGRADE," is an understatement.
The factory components were replaced with springs, valves, and such to optimize the compression/rebound for him and his riding preference. A knowledgeable, and quality driven suspension rebuild will consider things of this nature: weight of the bike, weight of the rider, purpose the bike serves (everyday rider, weekend racer, drag bike, track bike, etc.)

Keep the rubber side down!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 06:05 PM

It depends on what you are upgrading Chief. Car, truck, Goldwing? If it's a Goldwing, help us out by telling us which model.

Lucky Eddie.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Model: '08 GL1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWEddie View Post
It depends on what you are upgrading Chief. Car, truck, Goldwing? If it's a Goldwing, help us out by telling us which model.
Sorry, Eddie. I should have put that in the original post. I have an '08 GL1800, Level 1. No nav or airbag.

Chief

Combat Vets Asso. San Antonio
PGR San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 10:05 PM
Major Enthusiast

Model: GL1800 '03 Stream Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabeechief View Post
I'm having trouble comparing apples to apples regarding suspension upgrades. Will someone please list all the ingredients for a "full monty" or a "mega monty"! What comprises a full and complete suspension upgrage.

I undestand that Traxxion, Race Tech and Progressive all have suspension parts, but do they all have ALL the parts? Thanks.

Chief
Chief, here's a thread that might help...
Gl 1800 suspension

Read the thread over and let me know if you have more questions.

=Dave=
Olddogmoto.com

=Dave=

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Florida Prowler #97
GWBBA #9
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 01:50 PM

Traxxion and RT have just about anything you need to beef the suspension up, but they cost a lot for what they deliver. Much of the kit they sell really does little to help.
Progressive gives best bang for the buck IMHO, front springs and rear shock from them will be ideal for most riders.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 03:29 PM
Major Enthusiast

Model: GL1800 '03 Stream Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke66 View Post
Traxxion and RT have just about anything you need to beef the suspension up, but they cost a lot for what they deliver. Much of the kit they sell really does little to help.
Progressive gives best bang for the buck IMHO, front springs and rear shock from them will be ideal for most riders.
Zeke, have you ridden Traxxion and Race Tech bikes?
I don't understand your comment that the kit does little to help, and doesn 't deliver a lot of bang for the buck.

The Progressive shock is comparably priced to the Traxxion, although I don't see one listed on their website right now. The Race Tech is a bit more. I've had experience with the Traxxion shock, and it is a good performer. The stock shock wears out quickly (25K miles or so) and the spring is way to weak to hold up a 900 lb behemoth, let alone rider and passenger. If you are planning on replacing the spring, find a new trike take-off and do the shock too.

If you are doing fork springs and a fork rebuild, you will see a goodly improvement. If you going that far, either monotubes or better yet a Race Tech Gold Valve kit will give you a lot of bang for a reasonable investment.

Then we get to the holy grail of suspension upgrades. Traxxion is often sold as a kit, for a number of reasons. It's easier to do it all at once, rather than keep taking it apart. You are in the shop once, not again and again. That doesn't mean you can't pick and choose what you want.
Each part improves a specific deficiency in the GW suspension.
The All Balls roller bearings take care of the dreaded decel wobble.
The AK20 cartridge kit totally replaces the guts of your forks, giving you a modern cartridge type suspension, springs of a proper weight for your weight and riding style, new fork caps to give you rebound adjustment, and the right weight fork oil. The improvement is dramatic enough that you notice it before you get out of the driveway or installers lot.
The fork brace improves low speed handling by stiffening up the steering, making it more responsive.
If you opt for the Mega Monty, you also get a new triple tree and bridge, which further stiffens up the steering and make it much more precise amd responsive.
The shock takes care of the back, both damping and spring rate, and also gets your preload adjustor working properly

Any or all of these upgrades will give you both better handling, and more important, a better smoother more compliant ride. (Well, OK.. the fork brace and tree don't really contribute to ride quality..)

As Paul Thede from Race Tech says, the best you know is the best you've ridden.

=Dave=
olddogmoto.com

=Dave=

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Florida Prowler #97
GWBBA #9
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 06:29 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Depends how much money you got or are willing to spend. If I had it to spend I would go with the traxxion mega monty but since I am just barely hanging on I put progressive springs front and rear and heavier fork oil and I am satisfied with it. It is a huge improvement over stock for very little money.

Darksider #304 the force is strong in this one.
NRA endowment life member
Bright lights, protective gear and paying attention saves lives. Loud pipes just annoy the people behind you.
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow
[SIGPIC]
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 05:43 AM

Model: GL1000 1975 K1+GL1800 2006 airbag(US-model).
I have the "full monty" ,( the "mega monty" also include a new tripple tree ), from Traxxion , and yes , it is a lot of money.
BUT in my oppinion worth every penny , - the bike handless much better and the comfort is much better ! - unfortunenality my english is to bad to explain more detailed .
I have installed it myself , and ridden about 22000 miles with this upgrade , and i am wery pleased with the complete "new" bike i got after this upgrade .
One litlle thing: The rear chock got leaky after apr. 20000 miles , but they gave me a new one under warranty .

The winner is the man with most tools !
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page