LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1999 1500 SE

whitewingguy,
presently I have a car tire on my wing , it's a Dunlop wintersport ROF (run on flat ). this tire for me is great ,no problems at all.
now for a little prospective on the performance of a car tire on a motorcycle.
my previous bike to the wing was a Suzuki Burgman 650 executive scooter (pretty much a downsized wing ). anyway, after putting a car tire on my burgman I had never really put that car tire to the test i.e. speed in corners, real hard braking , in others words pushing to the limit uninhibited .
well about one and a half years after mounting that car tire , a day I'll never forget ...here is what happened ....story as follows.... taken from another forum from july 2009......

Hey gang, today while out riding and doing some errands I got a call that my mother was having a stroke and on the way to the hospital. ( she's ok it wasn't a stroke )
Well it was at this moment that I lost my mind.. and only by the GRACE OF GOD am I here.( ok strap in this going to get hairy ) Have you ever heard the expression "Driving With Reckless Abandon" that was me....from where I was to the hospital (ez driving ,cruising enjoying the country side ) about 45 min to1 hour. I took off like a bat out of hell ..... b-lls to the wall . drivin it like I stole it ... and with total disregard for myself and anybody else ....get the picture...OK ....well like I said only by the GRACE of GOD am I here !!! and I made it to the hospital in 25 min.....all is well , but here is the real news HOLY SH-T DOES THIS SCOOT HANDLE... I have owned this BURGMAN 650 EXEC FOR ONE AND A HALF YEARS and I guess I have never really put this bike to the test.
I mean i have gone through the twisties at a good clip with a burger smile and had a blast.. but never like I did today. Actually I don't think I have ever driven any bike like I did today. and guess what , I'm a DARKSIDER and can now tell all of you without ANY reservations I won't EVER question a CAR TIRE ON a BIKE EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and lastly if any of you get a call like this, STOP take a breath, clear your head , think and be careful..

Do cars with car tires get flats or blow....YES
Do cars with car tires get flats or blow and have accidents....YES
Do cars with car tires get flats or blow and have accidents and people get KILLED....YES

Ok that covers that.

Do motorcycles with motorcycle tires get flats or blow....YES
Do motorcycles with motorcycle tires get flats or blow and have accidents....YES
Do motorcycles with motorcycle tires get flats or blow and have accidents and people get KILLED....YES

Ok that covers that.

now here is another perspective.and this article helped change my mind about putting a car tire on a motorcycle....http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/...eDarkSide.html

this is all my own honest opinion and I'm not trying to sway you one way or another..You must do the research and come to your own conclusion.
Good luck and happy motoring...DOC

2 COR.5:17 "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, behold the new has come"

FOR EVERYTHING IS OWNED BY GOD, AND DISTRIBUTED BY HIM, TO BE MANAGED BY US , FOR A VERY BRIEF TIME .
DOC1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewingguy View Post
I have been seeing in videos and on club rides that some guys are using car tires on the Gold Wings anyone have experience with this? Recomendations on which tires?

Here we go again!

check the sticky posts about the car tires (darksiding)

First ride- various minibikes in the 70\'s
First bike- 1974 Suzuki GT380 (bought around 1979)
First big bike- 1981 Kawasaki KZ1300 full dress (bought new)
First Goldwing- 1982 GL1100A (bought 2012)
Another 1982 Goldwing (parts bike)
My newest bike- 1997 Goldwing GL-1500SE (bought 2012)

Oh, and I love Krav maga too! But if Krav Maga is not effective, I highly recommend firearms!
www.kravmaga.com
www.pinellaskravmaga.com
ghostvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnaWingandaPrayer View Post
Very happy with the Dunlop Run Flat Wintersport .
Hey Mike.... when we going riding???

Oh, and I love Krav maga too! But if Krav Maga is not effective, I highly recommend firearms!
www.kravmaga.com
www.pinellaskravmaga.com
Old 03-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Garage

about the only thing I can say from first hand experience is this...

I run Dunlop E3's front and rear... Not too long ago I had a flat on my front tire... on the interstate... going 75mph... I never even knew it until I slowed for an exit turn. It felt kind of wierd- like I t was taking the turn alot faster than I was, and taking it really deep. I was a little confused as to exactly just what happened when I slowed for a U-turn. As I turned, I felt the bike try to lay down- the bottom of the bike just sliding beneath me really fast. I righted and pulled over. By time I stopped I figured it out- flat tire. VERY SCARY!

Having the Goldwing is great- built in air compressor. I filled it up, made my appointment, filled the tire again, and went home. All the way home it was the same- on the interstate and straight roadways, I could not tell the difference. Only in a turn was I able to feel it.

My point is this- my Dunlops (and presumably all motorcycle tires) have thicker sidewalls than car tires. They are able to support the weight of the bike when flat without collapsing like a car tire does on a car. I have had blowouts/flats with cars at highway speeds and they are not fun. I could not imagine that on a motorcycle. I do not know if a car tire is able to support the weight of a bike when flat.

Anyone know information on this?

www.kravmaga.com
www.pinellaskravmaga.com
Old 03-24-2013, 11:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 2000 SE

Try a darkside search. You will find nay-syers, those that swear by them, a few different popular ones and their benefits/differences...
There is NO shortage of darkside information/opinions/experiences.

(Avatar- Our 'new' 1963 Kenskill camper interior. Chaste.)

Previous wings: 88k mile \'78GL1000, 13k mile \'77 GL1000 (resto at home, neat story!), \'81 GL1100 Interstate.
Previous non-wing others: CB360T, Suzuki GS550L, Yamaha 650 spcl (first bike!), Silverwing 500, Yamaha Spectre 1100, VFR700F, CB900 Custom.
rpeters549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #16 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 88 & 95SE 1500's, 82 1100I, 80 1100, etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Pinto View Post
Just because other people do something does not indicate that its a good idea.

Bill
Certainly, but just because other people "do not do it" does not indicate that it is a bad idea either!

The difference is those who "do not" actually no have Real Life Experience to talk about, only what they THINK or READ in some book or thread post etc...

Those who "DO" can actually talk about that is real by experience, not just Thought or read!

I mean really, Tons of people jump out of perfectly good airplanes every day, I never have (Yet). So, I am probably not really qualified to talk much about Parachuting other than what I may read somewhere or personally think of it myself based only on my own personnel opinion and nothing more.

I ride for FOOD

99 SE 1500, Also riding now, Red ( Second fastest color)
95 SE 1500, riding now, Purple (the fastest color)
88 1500 recovering from deer hit, Phantom Gray (Most expensive color )
82 1100 riding sometimes, Red
Also 80 1100 naked and 86 1200 Interstate, not running yet.
Chromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:14 AM   #17 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 88 & 95SE 1500's, 82 1100I, 80 1100, etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwjww View Post
Naysayers!! Just because those that haven't tried it say it's bad doesn't mean it really is. If new things were never tried that weren't supposed to work we'd be sleepin in caves. If you haven't tried how can you it's not a good idea.
Of course at one time no-one ever traveled by any way other than horse!
It was probably not a good Idea to invent a cart to have the horse pull because most people did not use a cart on back of horses at that time!
Certainly a wagon on a horse or two ......
Well, you know!

I ride for FOOD

99 SE 1500, Also riding now, Red ( Second fastest color)
95 SE 1500, riding now, Purple (the fastest color)
88 1500 recovering from deer hit, Phantom Gray (Most expensive color )
82 1100 riding sometimes, Red
Also 80 1100 naked and 86 1200 Interstate, not running yet.
Chromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #18 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1998 GL 1500 SE

good stuff thanks
I see the Austone taxi is 1" taller than the Dunlop e-3 That woould be a problem for me My inseam is 30" just comfortable enough any taller will be tippy toe and I don't like that any other tires that are same height of E-3?

"So let\'s ride"
Steve
whitewingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #19 (permalink)

I know there are tons of post on the subject and just as many opinions

I for one have gone double dark side, I have a 30 inseam so I went with the Dunlop Wintersport ROF, I found it shorter than the E-3 that was on the bike, just enough to be able to flat foot at stop lights if I sit up straight

my personal observations differ a little from most I read, I will say I love the way the bike rides and handles compared to before I made the change and will most likely never go back to stock MC tires

what I found different from most I read is
I find the bike handles FAR better at ALL speeds
I read a lot of people say they feel slow speed or loose ground handling is worse
I found I have better stability on loose ground at slow speeds ie dirt parking lots and even some light mud than before

I can turn the handle bars untill my helmet holders hit the windsheild at a crawl and not feel it's going to drop

I do feel I lost some high speed stability but I don't run fast enough for any distance for that to be a problem

I agree it was a bit weird at first but it was an easy adjustment once I found the right tire pressure, for me 34 psi was the right # in the rear
44 psi for the front

these are just my personal opinions but they come from riding every day rain or shine

I still haven't figured out what people mean when they say they miss the feel of the motorcycle when they go to the dark side, I don't get that one as I feel it added to the overall ride experience
Michelin Pilot Activ 130/70 18
AJ1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #20 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1998 GL 1500 SE

Thank you,do you have the wintersport on front and rear?

"So let\'s ride"
Steve
whitewingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum