LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Madeline Island
Model: GL 1100
Posts: 5
Low speed wobble 1983 GL1100

The other day as I was slowing down for a traffic light, I took both hands off the bars to unzip my jacket and the fork went into quite a wobble. I have been accustomed to unzipping my jacked in this manner for 50 years and never experienced this alarming phenomenen.

This bike is new to me and appears to have been pieced together from others. There is a weight attached to the front of the forks, perhaps this is the wrong one.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Doug
dougfur is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Village Whack Job...
 
Broke Winger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Model: '81 GL1100 Interstate
Posts: 7,823
Garage
This is a very common occurrence. The usual problems are 1)front tire cupping 2) low front tire pressure 3)bad or loose steering head bearings 4)rear tire cupping 5) rear tire pressure or a combination of two or more of the above.

Start with the simple things first, check your tire pressure. I recommend 41psi front and rear. Then check for cupping especially of the front tire. But check both. Then check the steering head bearings. To do this you'll need a bike jack. Simply lift the bike in the air so the front wheel is off the ground. Then turn the bras from side to side to feel if there are any rough spots or places where it kinda sticks. Also try pushing the bars forward to see if there is any movement int he front end there should be none. If you have checked all of these things but haven't found the source of the problem and still have it you'll need to check the rear swing arm bearings. 80% of the time though it's the tires.

P.G.R. Member ID: 88374

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our Soldiers are what make us strong. Without them there would be no USA.

Broke Winger is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Still Learning
 
newday777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Milford NH & Oceanside CA(N San Diego)SoCal USA
Model: 2008 GL1800 Level 4
Posts: 13,268
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke Winger View Post
This is a very common occurrence. The usual problems are 1)front tire cupping 2) low front tire pressure 3)bad or loose steering head bearings 4)rear tire cupping 5) rear tire pressure or a combination of two or more of the above.

Start with the simple things first, check your tire pressure. I recommend 41psi front and rear. Then check for cupping especially of the front tire. But check both. Then check the steering head bearings. To do this you'll need a bike jack. Simply lift the bike in the air so the front wheel is off the ground. Then turn the bras from side to side to feel if there are any rough spots or places where it kinda sticks. Also try pushing the bars forward to see if there is any movement int he front end there should be none. If you have checked all of these things but haven't found the source of the problem and still have it you'll need to check the rear swing arm bearings. 80% of the time though it's the tires.
I think you meant to type 'Then turn the bars from side to side'!!

As he said all those need checking esp the tires and air pressure(before each ride)
Most of the time you will not get it with new tires until they start to wear and cup. Rear suspension air pressure plays into it too and old fork oil needs changing yearly too.

Stu
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

John 14:6 Psalm 118:19-29
CMA Wings of Eagles-Escondido, Patriot Guard Ryder
+2008 Cabernet Red ABS/Airbag bought 6/2013 @16,000
+1983 ASPENCADE Barn find @36,000 to be sold
+1976 CB750K6 @25,000 was Dad's
Previous bikes
-1999 GL1500 ASPENCADE Red Sold barn find restored
-1999 GL1500 SE(@57k)(totaled by cagger @105,000) Feb 2013
-76 CB750K Red(new) sold @ 45k
-75 CB750K Blue(new) 9,000 mi Before cousin totaled it.
74 CB450 Burnt Orange(new) 9,000 miles sold
newday777 is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Member
 
tcampbell_nc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hudson, North Carolina, USA
Model: 1983 GL1100 Aspy
Posts: 287
Well, it depends on the size of the cupping as to whether the bras can be turned side to side...

Also check the anti-dive (TRAK). Most come from the factory set on the easiest setting (1) for the smoothest ride. This (in my case), coupled with cupped tires, caused the same problem. Reset my TRAK to 3 and replaced the tires.
tcampbell_nc is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 09:49 PM
Junior Grue
 
Ken Bergen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia, Canada
Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Posts: 4,652
As many have said and correctly, the TRAK anti dive system only comes into play with the brakes applied.

If the wobble only happens hands off then it's normal.
If it happens hands on then it's time to investigate.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken

My ride is a 1984 Interstate "Canadian".
Ken Bergen is online now  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 10:21 PM
Senior Member
 
glhonda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Olympia, Washington, USA
Posts: 1,831
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bergen View Post
As many have said and correctly, the TRAK anti dive system only comes into play with the brakes applied.
If the wobble only happens hands off then it's normal.
Ken is correct. The anti-dive settings have no effect unless the brakes are applied.
However, I may have an abnormal bike. Mine doesn't wobble. Is there a fix for this?

Libraries are full of stuff I don\'t know.
glhonda is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Junior Grue
 
Ken Bergen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia, Canada
Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Posts: 4,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by glhonda View Post
However, I may have an abnormal bike. Mine doesn't wobble. Is there a fix for this?
Put your hands in your pockets as you go over a railway crossing at 20mph then report back.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken

My ride is a 1984 Interstate "Canadian".
Ken Bergen is online now  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Senior Member
 
oldwing99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Plover, Wisconsin, USA
Model: GL1500SE
Posts: 564
I had the wobble in my old 1200. The mechanic adjusted the steering head bearings and the wobble went away. Unfortunately the adjustment was probably a little on the tight side as some of the nice easy feeling of minute steering adjustments on the highway went away as well. After a few hundred miles the steering came to feel normal but the more normal it felt, the more the wobble came back. It never happened on my bike unless I was running slow and decelerating with my hands off the bars. I fixed it by not doing that.
oldwing99 is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
 
chilidawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Spring, Texas, USA.
Year: 1980-81-82-83
Make: Honda
Model: 80thru83-GL1100STDASPENSTATE
Posts: 1,039
So let me get this right! You bought a 30 year old motorcycle, and are now asking if there is something wrong with the bike, because of how it reacts when you, took both hands off the steering, when slowing down for a light. Hmmm.

You even go as far as to question if the previous owner may have been at fault, when he rebuilt this machine to the level, where you would buy it from him...

"In IndyCar, no one makes money. It's just great, pure racing!".
Sebastian Bourdais, 4 time. World champion.

chilidawg is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Connecticut, USA
Model: MY BIKES: 1976 GL1000 LTD (X2), 1988 GL1500 (18 years; SOLD), 1976 GL1000 Sulfur, 2008 Pearl White
Posts: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougfur View Post
The other day as I was slowing down for a traffic light, I took both hands off the bars to unzip my jacket and the fork went into quite a wobble. I have been accustomed to unzipping my jacked in this manner for 50 years and never experienced this alarming phenomenen.

This bike is new to me and appears to have been pieced together from others. There is a weight attached to the front of the forks, perhaps this is the wrong one.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Doug
I agree with what Broke stated, plus it could be the rear swing arm bearings or wheel bearings too, but MOST LIKELY its the front tire. It might not need to have noticable cupping to do it either (ask me how I know).


Bill
77Pinto is offline  
Reply

  Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low Speed wobble, GL1800 skyhk82is Goldwing Technical Forum 34 12-20-2014 08:29 PM
2009 1800 low speed wobble JimT Goldwing Technical Forum 17 06-17-2013 09:20 PM
horrible low speed wobble gl1800 teambigmac Goldwing Technical Forum 15 06-17-2011 01:28 PM
Low speed wobble when turning oldtrooper General Motorcycle Discussion Forum 14 04-19-2011 06:33 PM
Low Speed Sidecar Wobble schultz Goldwing Technical Forum 7 08-29-2008 01:41 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome