LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: GL 1100
Default Low speed wobble 1983 GL1100

The other day as I was slowing down for a traffic light, I took both hands off the bars to unzip my jacket and the fork went into quite a wobble. I have been accustomed to unzipping my jacked in this manner for 50 years and never experienced this alarming phenomenen.

This bike is new to me and appears to have been pieced together from others. There is a weight attached to the front of the forks, perhaps this is the wrong one.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Doug
dougfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Village Whack Job...

Goldwing Model: '81 GL1100 Interstate
Garage

This is a very common occurrence. The usual problems are 1)front tire cupping 2) low front tire pressure 3)bad or loose steering head bearings 4)rear tire cupping 5) rear tire pressure or a combination of two or more of the above.

Start with the simple things first, check your tire pressure. I recommend 41psi front and rear. Then check for cupping especially of the front tire. But check both. Then check the steering head bearings. To do this you'll need a bike jack. Simply lift the bike in the air so the front wheel is off the ground. Then turn the bras from side to side to feel if there are any rough spots or places where it kinda sticks. Also try pushing the bars forward to see if there is any movement int he front end there should be none. If you have checked all of these things but haven't found the source of the problem and still have it you'll need to check the rear swing arm bearings. 80% of the time though it's the tires.

Broke Winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 2008 GL1800 Level 4
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke Winger View Post
This is a very common occurrence. The usual problems are 1)front tire cupping 2) low front tire pressure 3)bad or loose steering head bearings 4)rear tire cupping 5) rear tire pressure or a combination of two or more of the above.

Start with the simple things first, check your tire pressure. I recommend 41psi front and rear. Then check for cupping especially of the front tire. But check both. Then check the steering head bearings. To do this you'll need a bike jack. Simply lift the bike in the air so the front wheel is off the ground. Then turn the bras from side to side to feel if there are any rough spots or places where it kinda sticks. Also try pushing the bars forward to see if there is any movement int he front end there should be none. If you have checked all of these things but haven't found the source of the problem and still have it you'll need to check the rear swing arm bearings. 80% of the time though it's the tires.
I think you meant to type 'Then turn the bars from side to side'!!

As he said all those need checking esp the tires and air pressure(before each ride)
Most of the time you will not get it with new tires until they start to wear and cup. Rear suspension air pressure plays into it too and old fork oil needs changing yearly too.
John 14:6 Psalm 118:19-29
CMA Wings of Eagles-Escondido CA SAN DIEGO
Patriot Guard Ryder
+2008 Cabernet Red ABS/Airbag bought 6/2013 @16,000 miles
+1983 ASPENCADE Barn find @36,000 to be sold
Previous bikes
-1999 GL1500 ASPENCADE Red Sold barn find 17,500 miles
-1999 GL1500 SE(@57k)(totaled by cagger @105,000) Feb 2013
-76 CB750K Red(new) sold @ 45k
-75 CB750K Blue(new) 9,000 mi Before cousin totaled it.
74 CB450 Burnt Orange(new) 9,000 miles sold
newday777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1983 GL1100 Aspy

Well, it depends on the size of the cupping as to whether the bras can be turned side to side...

Also check the anti-dive (TRAK). Most come from the factory set on the easiest setting (1) for the smoothest ride. This (in my case), coupled with cupped tires, caused the same problem. Reset my TRAK to 3 and replaced the tires.
tcampbell_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Grue

Goldwing Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"

As many have said and correctly, the TRAK anti dive system only comes into play with the brakes applied.

If the wobble only happens hands off then it's normal.
If it happens hands on then it's time to investigate.

Ken

My ride is a 1984 Interstate "Canadian".
Ken Bergen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bergen View Post
As many have said and correctly, the TRAK anti dive system only comes into play with the brakes applied.
If the wobble only happens hands off then it's normal.
Ken is correct. The anti-dive settings have no effect unless the brakes are applied.
However, I may have an abnormal bike. Mine doesn't wobble. Is there a fix for this?
Old 04-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Grue

Goldwing Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"

Quote:
Originally Posted by glhonda View Post
However, I may have an abnormal bike. Mine doesn't wobble. Is there a fix for this?
Put your hands in your pockets as you go over a railway crossing at 20mph then report back.

Ken

My ride is a 1984 Interstate "Canadian".
Ken Bergen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: GL1500SE

I had the wobble in my old 1200. The mechanic adjusted the steering head bearings and the wobble went away. Unfortunately the adjustment was probably a little on the tight side as some of the nice easy feeling of minute steering adjustments on the highway went away as well. After a few hundred miles the steering came to feel normal but the more normal it felt, the more the wobble came back. It never happened on my bike unless I was running slow and decelerating with my hands off the bars. I fixed it by not doing that.
oldwing99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Official "Cheeky Plonker"

Goldwing Model: 80thru83-GL1100STDASPENSTATE

So let me get this right! You bought a 30 year old motorcycle, and are now asking if there is something wrong with the bike, because of how it reacts when you, took both hands off the steering, when slowing down for a light. Hmmm.

You even go as far as to question if the previous owner may have been at fault, when he rebuilt this machine to the level, where you would buy it from him...
Old 04-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: MY BIKES: 1976 GL1000 LTD, 1988 GL1500, 1985 GL1200I, 1977 GL1000, 1976 GL1000 Sulfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougfur View Post
The other day as I was slowing down for a traffic light, I took both hands off the bars to unzip my jacket and the fork went into quite a wobble. I have been accustomed to unzipping my jacked in this manner for 50 years and never experienced this alarming phenomenen.

This bike is new to me and appears to have been pieced together from others. There is a weight attached to the front of the forks, perhaps this is the wrong one.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Doug
I agree with what Broke stated, plus it could be the rear swing arm bearings or wheel bearings too, but MOST LIKELY its the front tire. It might not need to have noticable cupping to do it either (ask me how I know).

Bill
77Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum