LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Model: '06 GL1800, '78 GL1000 with '75 motor
New GL1000 project, first big problem

'78 GL1000 semi-basket case. PO had removed carbs and taken tops and float bowls off - no match marking. Needs a few ebayable things like headlight ears (anyone need a Vetter with pretty good windscreen and Bates saddlebags?) Of course, the wiring is hacked and most connectors crumbling. And of course, it needs a decent seat - thinking of a cafe style. This should keep me out of trouble for a while! All expected and surmountable problems so far. Patience and careful work.

So, here is the first big problem: the PO removed the fuel tank, cleaned with electrolosis, then coated it with a coating they use inside aircraft tanks. Nice and white inside - including the intake screens! I see about three openings between wires in each screen.

My question for the assembled expertise (and good guessers) - do you think I can take some sharped coat hanger wires and poke out the coating from between the wires enough for proper fuel flow? I realize that this would require follow-up with flushing and an extra filter for some time.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

"Love 'em all... Let God sort 'em out!"
'52 wife - '69 daughter - '83 daughter
ex '86 SE-i
ex '77 GL1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 06:56 PM
killer driller

Model: 1999 1500se,1986 gl1200
Garage
do you mean a 78 gl1000,not that it matters,but i dont see what it would hurt as long as you put an inline filter in
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 07:12 PM

Model: 1999 goldwing se
How about a fine, maybe a brass, wire wheel in a drill?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 07:19 PM

Garage
I would get another tank, before I trusted someone else's tank liner.
When tanks are lined, the screens are removed. Since they didn't know that, I'm not sure they knew how to prep, apply, or cure the tank.
You may end up with the liner finding its way to the fuel filter.

Libraries are full of stuff I don\'t know.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Tried the pointed clothes hanger to no avail. Coating too hard to penetrate. Next idea is to remove and invert the tank and then insert a small container of solvent to soften or perhaps remove the coating. That failing, I'll cut off the screens and see if I can mount some from a fuel pump kit.

ex '86 SE-i
ex '77 GL1000
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 07:34 AM

Model: 1981 1100
Garage
Solvent won't soften a good tank liner as that is what it was designed for
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Update: was able to remove the liner from the screens with acetone in a pill bottle on a coat hanger holder with the tank inverted. I had a small USB video camera with onboard LED lighting that I put in through the fill spout to monitor placement and removal as well as inspection of the final result. After clearing the screens the reserve was found damaged so it was removed and then a couple hands full of pea gravel and a quart of water roughly shaken to see if anything came loose. The coating survived that, so it was then washed with dish soap and thoroughly rinsed and dried. I may still do one more rinse and dry plus denatured alcohol rinse before mounting a pickup sock over the reserve pipe, the rebuilt petcock and adding fuel. I plan to let fuel set in it for a week or so while the carbs are rebuilt and engine checked out, then agitate and drain the fuel and check for contamination. I will be using straight gasoline with no ethanol for his test.

ex '86 SE-i
ex '77 GL1000
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 12:53 PM

Model: GL1000
Get yourself a Saddleman H148 Seat and Randakk's Carb Rebuild Video and you'll be good to go.

Do What Men Do Best
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Well, I have no desire for a double-bucket seat as this is to be a cafe-style when finally finished (years from now). I have a nice stock seat for it that will do Okay, but desire is for a custom cafe-style some day. I already have #1 carb rebuilt, but it took all day yesterday, mainly for cleaning. There were mud dauber nests packed into the sides of them, and the rubber parts had to be busted out (brittle), which is hard to do without scratching the o-ring grooves. The tubes were very hard to get out, even after soaking in penetrating oil. I had to drift out the secondary tube (luckily had a drift with JUST the right size to fit inside). The main split any wood that I tried, so I ended up with PVC to get it started. The area around the emulsion tubes was packed with crap. None of the jets or needles are stock, and both of the 2 float seats that I have had out were without the inlet screens. What a mess! The tops and bottoms were already off and of course - unmarked, so I have been carefully checking for interference and matching them up.

Oh well, I bought this as a "project" to get me back out of the den when not riding. A pro (or anyone worried about time invested) would have already been parting it out. The wife seems happy to have me working on it.

No work on it for the next month's weekends as I need to cover the route for a ride that I will be leading out of Bryson City on the 20th for the Smoky Mountain Ride-In. http://www.smokymountainridein.com/ At least I have the 1800 for riding!

ex '86 SE-i
ex '77 GL1000
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page