Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Discolored exhaust pipes, GL1500

4K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Happytrails 
#1 ·
I am seriously looking into purchasing an '88 Goldwing with only 40K on it. Looked it over tonight and was pleased with what I saw and heard but only one thing creates hesitation. The front of the exhaust pipes are discolored--burnt looking (see picture below). I've been looking at numerous 1500's and I don't see that on others. What would cause this? Is it a concern? Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive exhaust

See less See more
#3 ·
That is strange. Are they aftermarket or OEM tailpipes. Is it rust?

Could be pipes were painted or were torch welded to expansion chamber or its replacement, all components are held on by clamps. You need to get underneath and check it out.

#4 ·
I am seriously looking into purchasing an '88 Goldwing with only 40K on it. Looked it over tonight and was pleased with what I saw and heard but only one thing creates hesitation. The front of the exhaust pipes are discolored--burnt looking (see picture below). I've been looking at numerous 1500's and I don't see that on others. What would cause this? Is it a concern? Thanks, in advance, for your help.

View attachment 99225
Are those stock pipes ? There is an excessive amount of heat being built up in the pipe at the point of dis-coloration. Could be due to a broken baffle or something just after the dis-coloration inside the pipe restricting the flow of exhaust. Are both sides the same? My old 1100 was doing this and replacing the pipes corrected it not to mention it ran a whole lot better as well. If the restriction is great enough it should be a bit sluggish on acceleration at higher rpm's

#7 ·
If you go cheap, Mac pipes, you'd better expect them to turn color and also they will rust very fast.

Spend your money wisely and get Torque Master Daytona or Hollywood mufflers instead, I had a set on my 99SE and they were great, they will outlast the cheap imitation that Mac is (Mac has very bad chrome)

http://wingstuff.com/products/1386-daytona-power-mufflers-for-gl1500

#8 ·

View attachment 99225
Paul
Those are most likely aftermarket mufflers and could be the Mac mufflers as above. This is what a stock muffler looks like for an 88-97 gl1500
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/images/bikerswshopimages/1500mufflerimages/newmuffon.jpg

#9 ·
Thank you all for thoughts on this. I can see that the pipes have been changed (not stock) but I didn't notice a brand name on them. They may be a cheap quality pipe but they are very quiet. The bike has a slight hesitation when rolling on the throttle but otherwise runs smoothly. The owner has not had it on the road for two years (although he says he has regularly run it around the neighborhood) so there is likely some junk in the carbs. So, it doesn't sound like a deal killer then.

#11 ·
maybe not a deal breaker but a different set of pipes is in order. This is not caused by late timing or a lean condition. Not that far down in the exhaust system. You would have to turn the complete exhaust system blue including the x-box or H-box or torque box or whatever you want to call it and that is not really going to happen, all the way down to the discolored part of the muffler. there is some sort of restriction in that pipe and if it is normal and not really a problem then the quality of the chrome where the baffle is must be really cheap. I am not familiar wit the mac brand of pipes but I think I would be looking for a good set of stock pipes.

#13 ·
Same thing, restriction/heat build up. It's just like you see on a lot of bikes with exposed chrome headers and straight pipes. Not rejetting leans the fuel mix and causes bluish discoloration usually at
Bends in the pipe but sometimes the whole pip

#14 ·
All Hondas mufflers are double walled but the header pipes are not and can turn colors fairly easily if it's running too lean. That photo obviously isn't an illustration of what I'm talking about, but it can happen.

#16 ·

View attachment 99225
Hello Paul! Good to hear you might be getting your hands on a GL1500. We offer Torq Master's Hollywood and Daytona Mufflers for that bike. Both are great for their price. Check out our customer's reviews to hopefully help you decide on a set of mufflers if you do get the bike. Please don't hesitate to give us a call or email with any questions at 800.260.4050 or parts@cyclegiant.com
Hollywood Mufflers: http://wingstuff.com/products/779-h...rs-for-gl1500?context=exhaust_mufflers-gl1500
Daytona Mufflers: http://wingstuff.com/products/1386-daytona-power-mufflers-for-gl1500?context=exhaust_mufflers-gl1500

Stu thanks for the shootout!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.