Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi everyone New guy with some questions

3K views 41 replies 13 participants last post by  mrjay62 
#1 ·
Hello to All... Great site..

About 2 weeks ago I picked up a 1994 GW 1500 SE. With 64k miles. No service records. To me it was dirt cheap and looked So Good I bought it...

What I do know is im the 3rd owner the guy I bought it from got it 3 years ago and said it was too heavy so he parked it not ever doing anything to it.

Other than replacig all the filters,old, spark plugs whatelse should I be looking at?
So far I replaced the air filter, oil and filter, the 2 sub filters, battery, waiting for the new fuel filter.

And how can I get the old fuel out without removing the fuel tank..?

thanks
jay

#2 ·
Good idea to replace the timing belts if you have no idea when and if they were ever replaced. There are howto guides for it and its not expensive. Honda recommends 100k to replace them but the belts are rubber so its more of an age thing. When I did mine I think they were OEM belts that looked like they were in good shape really but 24yrs old. If they fail the valves can collide with the pistons, bend valves or break a hole in the piston. Replaced mine with Gates belts from Amazon. Gates also makes the belts for Honda for there OEM replacements.

You might try one of those hand pump syphon things to get the old gas out.

Other things to look at are date codes on tires. If they are 5yrs + then its a good time to replace. Change the coolant, change the shaft drive oil, lube the shaft drive splines with honda moly, check the steering head bearings for play and that the steering is free and smooth from side to side, change the brake and clutch fluids.

#3 ·
Three year old fuel isn't worth much. I'd probably just siphon it out with a length of clear vinyl tubing. Watch the fuel flow down through the tubing so you don't get a mouthful. I do this for radiators all the time now. Beats crawling under the vehicle to fight with a stubborn drain valve.

You probably should replace the hydraulic fluid in the clutch and brake. Before you start that apply pressure to the brakes and clutch and look for leaks. Repair them before you change the fluid.

I just went through a 4 day exercise in bleeding the clutch on my 1200. I bled them and had clutch. I rode less than two miles and had no clutch. I went through things several times and just couldn't keep it bled. I finally discovered that the sight glass in the master cylinder was leaking. Replaced that and three days later the starter decided it had had enough. I could bleed the clutch alone in about two minutes without any special tools.

The thing I noticed in the clutch hydraulics was the amount of crud and corrosion that had accumulated. It won't all flush out but it will be a step in the right direction. I had both cylinders apart so I got almost all of it out. I used the old cups but wouldn't do that with the brake system.

Have you had it running at all? Does it start and run well? That old fuel may have gummed up the fuel system. I would try some Seafoam in the fresh gas to start with.

How old are the tires age wise? If they are more than 8 or 10 years old you should probably replace them. It can wait until you get it running as smooth as a six cylinder Goldwing runs. Replace the valve stems at the same time for sure.

Check the suspension for air leaks and the forks for oil leaks.

Do you have a maintenance manual for the bike? It gives a wealth of information and how-tos but some errors too.

Polish, polish, polish while you wait for parts.

OOOPs. I forgot the belts and what Happytrails said in his last paragraph.

#4 ·
pull the seat off,
remove the fuel tank wires,
remove the fuel pump.

siphon the old gas out, and use it for weed killer.

replace the fuel filter.

Now, pour in a measured 3.0 gallons of fuel.

With the pump still out, insert your right hand and feel forward to the left front.
there you will find the float that controls the fuel gauge.

bend the float rod until the gauge reads exactly 1/2 tank.
all Honda fuel gauges are inaccurate unless you calibrate them.
Once this is done, when the gauge reads 1/2 tank you will know that you have exactly 3.0 gallons of gas left. You can easily watch it down to about 1/8th tank which is about where the low fuel light will start to glow.

the low fuel light means you have 1.1 gallon left before it coughs and quits.

#5 ·
Awww gezzzz...... more work!

ok got all down, ordered the belts,Gates , did get almost all of the fuel out.Need to pickup some 4Dot fluid, No leaks brake pads look good front and rear.But I'll bleed them and get new fluids in them.And the clutch too.
No I did not start it... didnt want to run the old fuel thu the carbs .then ill check the gas tank float..
In the morning ill check the tire date code.....
Lot to do lot to learn...
And here I thought I was getting off easy!
I did get a shop manual with the bike. Between the manual and this site gezz I can do it all! LOL,

Thank you Guys.

#8 ·
lol. No nest... just lots of dust under the covers got them all off spend the day checking and replacing Vac lines with new silicone lines I have left over from my volvo project.
I opened the gas tank removed the pump cleaned it by soaking in SF looks like new , found a glob of jelly like stuff in the tank.. All clean now...
Still waiting on parts before I try starting it ...
Next is the air compressor drier needs new pellets so off with more Plastic!

And here I thought I got such a nice deal! lol. Oh well keeps my crippled ass busy!

Attachments

#12 ·
Know you won't want to hear this but check clutch slave cylinder seal. Owned our Wing sidecar rig 11 years, when seal
[which was TOAST] finally failed, DOT 4 entered engine oil [which I'd just changed the night before] just as we were
leaving on August wedding anniversary week-end trip. Limped home 1/2 mile, parked rig. Had to then decide what to do
to fix this problem. One of my sons found used '96 1500 engine from cycle salvage yard in PA; obtained it immediately.
Is in now and close to start attempt. MY OWN FAULT for NOT checking a $2 seal, which ruined my GREAT engine!
My 2 cents........Old Tom aka papasmurf in New Hampshire

#13 ·
No! I do want to hear it!
Anything I can do now to save me and the bike is worth knowing!
Im New to owning this motorcycle it's 20 plus yrs old...And you guys here are all knowing you guys lived all the good and bad of these bikes...
I may be in my 50s but im never proud to learn something new from someone else.

did u get your bike repaired? Or replace the motor?

Thank you papasmurt.

Im looking up that seal now....

Great site Great Bunch of Men here thank u all.

#14 ·
Yo! Brother Bellboy40

That's a nice looking bike ! Do u know if the side panels/covers can be had In that color??

thank
Jay

#17 ·
You probably can get the side covers but might have trouble getting them in the color you want. It you can get them new they will be really expensive ($300-400).
Do you have some missing parts or something damaged?

#15 ·
that's a NICE COLOR and a nice bike! mine is just black n grey. I wonder if moth balls will keep mice out of things? sure keep me out of things. wow, brake fluid ruined the motor that fast? the slave cyl is INSIDE the motor on the 1500's? 1200's too? I would TRY to change the clutch fluid, but I am scared to try, I want to ride the bike, not work on it. same with the timing belts, I WANT to do them, but what does it cost for the mechanic to do them, it is one of those things that IT NEEDS TO BE DONE RIGHT or not at all, the way I see it...and it is kind of involved. the timing chain/stator on my 350 atv wasn't too bad but it is RIGHT THERE, sit on milk crate, tools/table at the ready and take it apart, put the new stuff in and put it back together, no big deal. 1200 timing belts are a little more involved, to me.

#18 ·
If your gonna get new OEM dont wait too long. When I first got my bike 2yrs ago nearly every OEM part was available. Checked the other day and parts are starting to become unavailable. And thats for a 91 so you guys aren't much newer than me. $281.10 isn't a bad price but pretty sure you'll want to get the emblems.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1994/GL1500SE+A/SIDE+COVER/parts.html

One of my side covers has a deep scratch all the way thru and I'm wrestling if I should replace it while the part is still available. What would you guys do?!? :surprise:

#19 ·
If your gonna get new OEM dont wait too long. When I first got my bike 2yrs ago nearly every OEM part was available. Checked the other day and parts are starting to become unavailable. And thats for a 91 so you guys aren't much newer than me. $281.10 isn't a bad price but pretty sure you'll want to get the emblems.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1994/GL1500SE+A/SIDE+COVER/parts.html

One of my side covers has a deep scratch all the way thru and I'm wrestling if I should replace it while the part is still available. What would you guys do?!? :surprise:

I would probably save up some cash then swallow hard and order the part. :laugh:

#22 ·
And what's with the UFO Central?

Huh?
All Fluids and brake pads are on order.

Do it once do it right.
So far with new fuel,fuel filter, plugs, oil & oil filter both, sub filters and almost every vacuum line replaced, she runing .

one thing at a time im in no rush to do repairs on the roadside.

Thanks for ur input guys... im a learning!

#24 · (Edited)
I Fixed my mouse problem in my garage!

I took in 4 cats that were living outside, for months I would only find half eaten mice now No more mice...
Only in the winter do I need to feed them daily and keep the litter boxes clean...
They do there business outside away form the house during the warmer months and keep me and my dogs company when im working on anything... fair trade if u ask me... mice were into everything...

#25 ·
I've got an 94 GL 1500 SE and I have a noise that sounds like a chain rattle in the tranny. The bike only has 64,000k on it. It sat for 3+ years before I aquired it so I have changed the cam belts, shifter seal, cleaned the carbs, new spark plugs, K&N air filter, fuel filter, oil change, and replaced the vacum lines. The noise is quieter above 3000 rpm but still present. Could the drive chain be worn or the tensioner be stuck? I was told that if the carbs weren't just right it could cause some of the noise.. The noise does go away, stop if I pull in the Clutch, I did bleed the clutch and brakes. *Also have about 3,4oz. Of Seafoam in the oil which ill change again at a 100 miles.And 4.oz of CRC 1tank Power Renew in the fuel I've had Good results with it in a volvo that sat for 8 years. Also can anyone recommend a good Oil right now I have Valvoline 4 Stroke,10W-40 mc oil in it. And a Good Grar Oil? The accelerates strong and the motor is very quiet. This is my first Goldwing so I'm not really sure what noises are normal. . The charging system is good. The plugs do seem alittle "wet" even after driving around for 30-40 minutes. I'm only choking it for 15-30 secs as it is has been in the high 80's around here. The bike does not get hot and there are no other noises either during acceleration or during decceleration.* From reading thu all the post on here you guys are the all knowing of Goldwings. Thank in Advance for any help or information to getting on the right track here. Jay Nap Palmyra NY. Where the men are men and the Sheep are Nervous!*

#26 ·
The noise you are hearing at low rpms with clutch out is a normal sound. Mine does it also. As soon as I pull in the clutch, the noise goes away. I wouldn't worry about it.
The oil you are using is fine. Just be sure the oil you use does not say "energy conserving" on the bottle somewhere. That type oil has friction modifiers in it and is not good for your clutch. A lot of us use the Delo 400LE oil in 15w40 grade and it works well. I get mine at Walmart usually but most places that sell oil have it.

#28 ·
Thanks
Feeling better about that sound, im still going to replace -RUBBER, ALTERNATOR DAMPER -CYLINDER ASSEMBLY, SLAVE . And Brushes for the Alternator. All OEM Honda parts...
Just to be sure im good for a while...
From the research I done on here and with all the Help and Information you guys post With Pictures.

Im sure I can replace those parts.... If not ill be posting more questions.lol

thank guys
Best Site I Ever Been On!

#31 ·
Too Late Happytrails

Already picked up Delo 400LE 15w40.

But thanks , I do wirte down all the recommendation from you guys...
Never know whats going to work better for this bike.... And right now i got all the time in the world to play with the bike..
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.