Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1983 interstate brake teaser

483 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Bike...and Dennis 
#1 ·
Have a 83 Interstate bought it with front brake and master caliper would freeze out and smoke the rotor bought a used caliper and hose on e-bay cleaned it up and installed that and new front rotor's same problem cleaned master cylinder and reinstalled no pressure at all. bunch of rusty stuff came out of master no pressure at all, went to Honda got rebuild kit installed cleaned up master thoroughly no rust a little rough where the spring set's but not in the area the rubbers pass by rebuilt reinstalled no pressure seems to suck more than push and i mean that in a pressure sense not a predicament thing. Anybody with some ideas HELP we also tried vacume pulling it also fifteen lbs of vac.

#2 ·
It sounds to me like the tiny hole for pressure release was clogged in the MC - I cleaned mine with a piece of wire from a wire brush. Also, as often suggested on here: take off the banjo bolt, put you finger over the hole on the MC and squeeze slowly. When you release the handle it will suck in fluid. repeat until fluid sprays out - watch out for fluid in your eyes!!. reattach the banjo bolt. keep the bolt loose, squeeze the handle, tighten the bolt, release the handle. Do this a couple times until your sure it's bled well there. Then I take the caliper off and press the cylinder in a bit so I can slide a thin piece of wood in there, about the thickness of the rotor. Then I can rotate the whole caliper to release trapped air bubbles. I use a one man bleeder which has a check valve in the bottle, so I can see the bubbles. When there are no more bubbles, it's all bled. reassemble.

#3 ·
small hole for breather location

we have been looking for this elusive small hole but can not find it my buddy keeps wanting to pull the reservoir off but it seems to be on well dont want to break anything will try this Technic and get back

#5 ·
83 brake problems

tore the master apart again nothing wrong put it back on seemed to be working mysteriously put it back on the bike same thing seized up again replaced used caliper with old caliper now it's working no idea what happened just hope this story is over till next time thank you gentlemen keep the tires between the lines and the rubber side down I'm going for a ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.