1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1989
Make: Honda
Model: GL 1500
change oil in the fall before storage? or in the spring?

Hello all,

just wondering what your opinions are?

thank you

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 10:36 PM

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
for me, I want to do it in the fall to get all moisture out of the crankcase.

hopefully none of us make real short rides and don't let the engine get hot enough to boil off all water vapor.

I use 4 oz of Sea Foam, ride for 100 miles or so and drain it.

~ John

Join us for NASR10 "
SR10 "

Summer Rally #10 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 10:42 PM

Year: 94
Model: GL1500SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1AKeywest View Post
Hello all,

just wondering what your opinions are?

thank you

Mike
First welcome to the Best Gold Wing sight . I would change it before Storage , but then again for me there is only a 2 to 3 Mo time that I don't ride ( first snow fall , roads freeze over , sand/salt on the road to prevent black ice ). For the most part I do change the oil after the last ride of the season . I know others will chime in .

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 10:52 PM
Certified Slacker

Make: Wing of course!
Model: 1500 SE
do a drain and fill of the engine oil with something cheap like delo 15-40, $12 a gallon at wallys
Then in the spring drain that out before engine start- and refill with same oil or your choice of brands.
No moisture that's gotten absorbed into the system during storage will be able to wreck havoc that way!!

For fuel - add 2 oz seafoam per gal of gas = ~1/2 can in full tank for winter storage is good-
Store with FULL gas tank!
Go for a 15-30 minute ride after adding fuel conditioner- so its circulated thru and sitting in the carbs.
All will be well next spring when the bike will start up easily, and parts have been protected from moisture during sitting!

Stabil fuel stabilizer is another good product for use in the gas tank for winter storage- keeps fuel fresher

Dont forget to FLUSH the brake and clutch lever hydraulic systems in the spring = before 1st ride!!
That type of fluid sucks moisture from the air- ruining it and leading to expensive brake repairs...
wiki hygroscopic for why

5 dollars of DOT4 fluid will do the bikes hydraulic (brake/clutch lever) systems a few times over!
Invite your riding buddy to come help and do both bikes!!
Once Every YEAR is schedule for brake fluid flush!
Makes a big difference and should be done religiously

caution! parking on center-stand all winter can put weight on front tire- leading to flat spot
I would lower the tire pressures for storage so they dont flat spot- ruining them!

Battery- remove and place on workbench on piece of wood (no batt to floor or metal shelf contact)
Keep it on battery tender/maintainer- spend 20 bucks at walmart for the schaumer or a little more for the Deltran Battery Tender Jr. Both will keep the battery at full charge and ready to go next spring.
In riding season - plug it in after ride to keep the batt full!

If you leave batt in bike for the winter, disconnect the NEG cable at battery and put batt on maintainer
as noted above
DO NOT USE the harbor freight $5 maintainer unit -it doesnt have the brains to shut off when not needed-
cooked my battery~ 20 dollars now will save you 120 in the spring!!

Last edited by Aloha Tom; 09-28-2015 at 11:35 PM.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 11:06 PM
Certified Slacker

Make: Wing of course!
Model: 1500 SE
John Are you saying you store the bike with the engine oil drained??? after a short seafoam in the oil ride?
Or you store the bike with the treatment in the oil... for prevention?

The various oils used on the bike and in cars- pull moisture from the air.
During a normal ride/drive over 30 minutes that moisture is dried out.
Notice the cars in front of you at stoplights with water dripping out the exhaust?
guess how that got in there! And how bad it is for metal parts!!!!

It takes time to generate enough heat from the engine to dry its own oils. Thats one reason you see
30+ minute rides suggested as a minimum = to recharge the battery and dry the oils!

Note brake fluid doesnt circulate like the other fluids, so its really important to do its own flush- fluid has gotten wet and hot with no relief! Fresh fluid is the only answer.
At the race track we flushed the brake fluid every day, sometimes between sessions it got just a quick bleed, other times a full flush. That was 20 weekends a year!!
New fluid new fluid new fluid

If you haven't changed your brake fluid recently- do it and feel the improved stopping power!

Last edited by Aloha Tom; 09-28-2015 at 11:38 PM.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 11:09 PM

Year: 1997
Model: 1997 SE
Garage
store the bike
Could someone explain this saying to a California boy??????????

IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 12:20 AM
Just Winging It

Year: 1986
Make: GL1200I
Model: GL1200I 1986
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
store the bike
You see when one stores there bike it is time for some deep cleaning.
Untitled.jpg

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 02:43 AM

Model: GL1500SE
Battery- remove and place on workbench on piece of wood (no batt to floor or metal shelf contact) Can I Store My Battery on a Concrete Floor?

This one is an often heard ‘old wives tale’. It used to be that battery cases were made of inferior material such as hard rubber, or even tar. This material would develop micro cracks over time and become porous, and left on wet ground or damp concrete would begin to self discharge. Nowadays, battery cases are made of plastic that do not leak and can be stored on nearly any surface, even left in standing water with no ill effects.

- See more at: http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/frequ...concrete-floor.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 06:39 AM
life is good

Year: 1991
Make: gl 1500 interstate
Model: 91 interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
store the bike
and my wife and me also Oklahoma weather we have nice days allot in the winter.

life is good.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 08:34 AM

Model: 97' SE, Two Tone Red --> 124,024 km as of November 2015

I change oil and filter after last ride in the fall, usually first or second week of November.

The bike sits there until the first ride in the spring usually beginning of March.

I DO NOT start the bike through the winter. As mentioned it takes a while to evaporate water vapour after the engine heats up.

Avatar Photo was taken in the Crowsnest Pass between Alberta and British Columbia on Highway 3.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page