18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 10:46 PM

Model: 1988 GL 1500, 2012 GL1800, 1977 GL1000
My 88 did not have the recall done and had the stumble. I went from the #50 to a #60 and it took care of about 95% of the stumble. I could not find a #55. Do not change the main jet. The #50 low speed jet is what is causing the stumble problem. If you are pulling the carb, get new carb boots and replace the float bowl seals while you are in there. Also a good idea to replace the problem vacuum hose that sits under the carb. You can still get all of these parts from Honda.

Dan
AMA Life
2012 GL 1800 Level 3
1988 GL 1500
1977 GL 1000
1988 NX 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1988 1500A.
Thanks Snowmoer! I was just checking those slow jet sizes and you answered my question. I ordered a Randakk's kit and waiting on it now. Its my intent to order that size. Just hit honda parts fiche looking at the sizes. 1990 shows the first year to have the #60.
1988 and 89 had the #50. I will wait until I disassemble the carbs to see what the actual size is. Likely it is #50. No evidence of an
"X" stamped anywhere on the frame in area of the battery box.
post #13 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Took off all Tupperware this afternoon. Now to start the task of keeping all hoses in order taking lots of pics. In the past have always used a stinky smelly carb cleaner...not this time. Have read where several have boiled there carbs out with distilled water to antifreeze. What is the advantage if any to antifreeze?

post #14 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 10:44 PM

Year: 1997
Make: Goldwing SE
Model: '97 GL 1500SE
Haven't done any carb work, but hear the vacuum lines can be a nightmare. Thought it might be advantageous to tag the lines as you get ready to take them off, and photograph them with the numbers in place for reassembly reference. I use this product for wiring issues in my business, when the number of wires gets cumbersome. Maybe something along that line ? Same number at each end of each vac line. You can create double digit numbers with 2 strips applied. Might help.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.
Thomas Paine December, 1776
post #15 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 11:26 PM

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaterhooker0 View Post
Haven't done any carb work, but hear the vacuum lines can be a nightmare. Thought it might be advantageous to tag the lines as you get ready to take them off, and photograph them with the numbers in place for reassembly reference. I use this product for wiring issues in my business, when the number of wires gets cumbersome. Maybe something along that line ? Same number at each end of each vac line. You can create double digit numbers with 2 strips applied. Might help.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

I use the same exact thing, and have all my working life....
I used to work in Telephone Switch Centers, and you don't dare make a mistake and wire up a 600 pair cable to the wrong 600 pair cable.....

that will cost you your job.
Bluewaterhooker0 likes this.

~ John

Join us for NASR10 "
SR10 "

Summer Rally #10 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

BlueWaterHooker, AZgl1800

It was mid-seventies here yesterday so I was motivated even though I have a bad case of bronchitis to start this tear down.
But its stockshow here in Fort Worth so anytime the next few days or so the weather will reverse!!!

Jim Martino's website regarding the carb removal on his wing has been very helpful so far. Hopefully is pics on the carb disassembly will be as hopefully.

Id'ing everything with pics is on the the list but thinking colored tape of some variety. This bike has never has the air cleaner off. Meaning the bottom half of the air cleaner that is attached to the carburetors. Its my first rodeo from there down....as I indicated earlier. The interesting thing I have found is all the hoses are original and are NUMBERED!!!!

The only other item after reassembly will be to re-plumb my bypassed auto shutoff valve. I need to examine the vacuum line to it. I think that may have been the cause of some of my issues from a few years back that led me to bypass it. The hoses have a light dusting of dirt on them typical for the bike age. Will examine each hose after carb removal.

As for cleaning the carbs I do not want to use Chem-tool carb cleaner. While yes it works, its horribly stinky and the odor just clings to everything. SO going to get a crock pot and boil them in distilled water for several hours then blow out with compressed air. Unless someone else has a better idea on cleaning agent. Let me know.
Thanks
David
post #17 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 12:21 PM

Garage
I highly suggest you go to an auto parts store, and get the 3M numbered tapes.

they are white, and have black numerals on them, and they are much narrower than a roll of electricians tape.

if you put #5 wire back on the screw with #5 stuck to it, you can't go wrong
and they will stick forever, so the next time you drop that wire and say "aw crap", don't matter, it is numbered #5 still yet.
siouxindian likes this.

~ John

Join us for NASR10 "
SR10 "

Summer Rally #10 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 12:48 PM

Year: 1997
Make: Goldwing SE
Model: '97 GL 1500SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRLGL1500 View Post
BlueWaterHooker, AZgl1800

It was mid-seventies here yesterday so I was motivated even though I have a bad case of bronchitis to start this tear down.
But its stockshow here in Fort Worth so anytime the next few days or so the weather will reverse!!!

Jim Martino's website regarding the carb removal on his wing has been very helpful so far. Hopefully is pics on the carb disassembly will be as hopefully.

Id'ing everything with pics is on the the list but thinking colored tape of some variety. This bike has never has the air cleaner off. Meaning the bottom half of the air cleaner that is attached to the carburetors. Its my first rodeo from there down....as I indicated earlier. The interesting thing I have found is all the hoses are original and are NUMBERED!!!!

The only other item after reassembly will be to re-plumb my bypassed auto shutoff valve. I need to examine the vacuum line to it. I think that may have been the cause of some of my issues from a few years back that led me to bypass it. The hoses have a light dusting of dirt on them typical for the bike age. Will examine each hose after carb removal.

As for cleaning the carbs I do not want to use Chem-tool carb cleaner. While yes it works, its horribly stinky and the odor just clings to everything. SO going to get a crock pot and boil them in distilled water for several hours then blow out with compressed air. Unless someone else has a better idea on cleaning agent. Let me know.
Thanks
David
Well, if they're numbered, aren't you a lucky dog. I've heard folks on here referring to hoses by a number, but thought that was the parts identification number, not a number physically on the hose. Hope you can photograph them with all their numbers showing, while in place. An alternative for any other lines/wires you might need to number, would be masking tape, with numbers written on the tape with a Sharpie pen. Good luck. Glad it's not me.....yet

One other thing, from the guy with probably the least experience in this area
If you replace any hoses with sharp bends, they are probably preformed hoses. It might pay to get the OEM replacement for those, as regular stock hose will have a tendency to kink in a sharp turn. And keep in mind these are 'vacuum' hoses, meaning they are subject to 'collapsing' pressure by the vacuum applied. So, structural strength (wall thickness) and rigidity is important to avoid having one restrict under vacuum, especially in a hard turn.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.
Thomas Paine December, 1776
post #19 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 02:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaterhooker0 View Post
Well, if they're numbered, aren't you a lucky dog. I've heard folks on here referring to hoses by a number, but thought that was the parts identification number, not a number physically on the hose. Hope you can photograph them with all their numbers showing, while in place. An alternative for any other lines/wires you might need to number, would be masking tape, with numbers written on the tape with a Sharpie pen. Good luck. Glad it's not me.....yet

they won't be numbered, unless you personally have the 3M roll of numbered tapes 0-9

and when you take something off, put a number on it and a matching number where you took it off from....

that and pictures
just cannot be over emphasized when your chance to put it all back together somehow, slips down the road about 3 months or more.

~ John

Join us for NASR10 "
SR10 "

Summer Rally #10 at

post #20 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 06:11 PM

Model: 1975 GL1000(gone) 1980 GL1100 1996 GL1500SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
they won't be numbered, unless you personally have the 3M roll of numbered tapes 0-9
I can't tell if you're serious or just pushing the tape idea here...

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page