LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 06:35 PM

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralout View Post
I can't tell if you're serious or just pushing the tape idea here...

I'm an old retired electronics technician.

when I would get into a box full of wires, and need to service it, and no wiring diagrams handy or available....

I pulled out that little red plastic container of 3M numbered tapes out of my tool box...

I am Dead Serious, it is an easy way to be able to put things back together.
It is cheap, it is effective, and it works.

~ John

Join us for NASR10 "
SR10 "

Summer Rally #10 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum Apps:

Android:

iPhone:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1988 1500A.
John
Do you think it would be a good idea to use marked tape labels???? LOL! I do indeed! I got your drift! One thing I learned long ago do not leave ANYTHING laying where you do not want a wife to come move it!!! 9 times out of 10 they do not know what they moved and when you ask where it went they do not know what you are talking about!!! Things never stay apart for long in my garage (unless parts are on order) as that is exactly what happens. Did not do anything with the carbs today, had a different iron in the fire to take care of and I had to get a 16 inch phillips screwdriver to reach the carb clamps.
Thanks
David
Tomnfife likes this.
post #23 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 08:03 PM

Garage
Oh, do I ever know about wives moving things.

When I was off on my 30 days NASSIR8 tour, she decided that she knows better than I do how my office should be arranged.

I came back to a "very neat, organized group" and pretty as a picture...
pissed me off no end, and I told her "hey, it is pretty, but it is useless to me"

I can't find most of what I want, still yet today.....
I told her to stay out of here, this is my room, you are not allowed to move anything.

somewhere is a military ammo box that can't be found anywhere.
she claims she never saw it???

funny, it sat in the same place for 3 years, so why isn't it where I put it?

~ John

Join us for NASR10 "
SR10 "

Summer Rally #10 at

Forum Apps:

Android:

iPhone:

post #24 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

John
At the other iron in the fire today I left(LOST) my handy solarforce 500 lumen three mode flashlight I left it in the residence down at our other place. And neither me nor my bro. can find it. I was using it and then set it down somewhere. Both went thru the place three or for times. I know its there but it had decided to hide. Yeah, no wife to blame there! But glad its me. Lately have been a bit bad about that. The bike has all the tupperware stowed on a folding table in the garage while ALL the screws and fasteners are in individual baggies in Trunk on the bike!!

Just went back to Martino's website...looking at the carb tear down pics..you are right...labels, then pics before removal. Found some pics he took I failed to pay much attention too and of course a hose(s) that can only be seen after they are taken out. I may use some new longer hoses in those areas as comments about their location is a pain to reach after the carb is back on and space is pretty limited.
David
post #25 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 09:54 PM

Garage
There is no such thing as "too many" pictures.
When I review them, I see 2 or 3 of the same view, and 2 of the 3 are fuzzy and I delete them.

I use my cellphone, turn the Flashlight function ON, then set the camera to "no flash".

that allows me to Preview what the picture is going to look like,
ie, move away from that bright reflection??

I take a lot of views, just move the camera/phone an inch or two and go around the area I am working on.

When you transfer those pictures to your PC and look at them on a big screen, you are going to see a lot of things that you did NOT even know was there...

things like, "Hey, that hose clamp is loose....",
or "wow! look at that wire, it is frayed and almost broken in two"

you just can't have too many pictures....
the camera sees those minute minor details like a "light blue" versus a blue wire and where it was connected to before you unhooked the two of them...

the little 3M numbered tapes are invaluable for documenting where things go. They are tiny enough to put on almost anything, wrap around the wire twice so it sticks for eternity.

~ John

Join us for NASR10 "
SR10 "

Summer Rally #10 at

Forum Apps:

Android:

iPhone:
post #26 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 10:47 PM

Model: 1975 GL1000(gone) 1980 GL1100 1996 GL1500SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
I am Dead Serious, it is an easy way to be able to put things back together.
It is cheap, it is effective, and it works.
I believe you believe in the numbered tapes, I meant if you were serious about them not being numbered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRLGL1500 View Post
John
and I had to get a 16 inch phillips screwdriver to reach the carb clamps.
Make sure you have at least a 16" long 1/4" flat head also for adjusting mixture screws once the carbs are reinstalled and an impact driver for the screws holding the top plate and heater plate on. They're going to be ridiculously tight. Also, if your's still have limiter caps on the pilot screws, I suggest grinding off the boss on the edge of the bowl so you'll have full range of pilot screw adjustment. If they don't have the caps, grind a slot for a flat head if they're the "D" style heads and grind off the boss anyway, it can make it difficult for the head of the screwdriver to turn.
I can't agree more with taking pictures even though your lines are already numbered and colored already
post #27 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 12:23 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 285,000 miles
I looked on 3M's website and couldn't find those number thingies.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #28 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 03:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
I looked on 3M's website and couldn't find those number thingies.
they were linked to back in post #14

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Home Depot and Lowes carry them.

~ John

Join us for NASR10 "
SR10 "

Summer Rally #10 at

Forum Apps:

Android:

iPhone:
post #29 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 03:23 AM

Garage
[QUOTE=spiralout;4446594]I believe you believe in the numbered tapes, I meant if you were serious about them not being numbered.
/QUOTE]

I don't like using just colored tape, as it get rubbery and starts turning loose when it gets hot...

and, if you have more than just 3 or 4 wires to take apart, which one of "those blue wires" went here?

Numbered tapes are limitless in how many you can tag. get more than 10 wires hanging loose, then just add the next higher "10s" digit tape.

On my 1800 when I was ripping out a huge amount of PO installed "all black w/no ID wires, I traced several from the front of the bike to the rear of the bike. Once I found out what purpose they were for, I used my Brother Label Writer and printed out "Horn Relay 30A fused" for the one that snaked back thru the frame and went to the horns under the trailer hitch. Put that tape up front, and in the back up above the horns where that wire just ran loose hanging in mid air.....

jeez the PO was a slob with wiring..

I used that label writer several times on those PO installed wires. and when I found wires that just "dead ended" and went nowhere those were traced out and totally removed from the bike. I found 3 relays that had no function, and just gobs of black wires that seemed to have no current function.... found a black module buried inside some of the original Honda huge wire loom??? cleaned it off and found an ID number, the internet tracked that down to a Security System.... well, removed all of that crap too.... as I don't have the remote that went with it, so that is useless...

~ John

Join us for NASR10 "
SR10 "

Summer Rally #10 at

Forum Apps:

Android:

iPhone:
post #30 of 161 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

I am going to mark the hoses with tape but putting a matching number on the location may have to be the picture with the taped hose as a location. Since I intend to soak the carbs in hot water its possible those will float off. I think I may get a fine point sharpie marker. Its permanent and do not believe the soaking should affect it. Will try a test piece first.

Spiralout: I already have a impact driver. Had to use it to get the air cleaner base off. Will look for the long flatblade. Thanks for the heads up on that. I bought the phillips from Lowes.

Discovered last year a fellow moved in down the street that had been out of the country...I noticed him he came tooling by on an
old VFR Honda Sabre 1000!!! Could not miss him. Gray hair, no helmet. He would turn the corner in front of my house, shut the motor off and coast into his garage. Its an 84 or 85 model. Went down to introduce my self and discovered he had the matching 700cc V4 interceptor in his garage AND a bike I wanted to own in the 70's a 1971 Norton Commando he was getting activated after being in Florida storage for awhile. He had owned it since his twenties!!! He is about my age in mid-sixties....Great to have a neighbor that keeps things as long as I do.
Ok off to work this morning.
David

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page