Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1993 GL1500 still makes noises!

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Mr Magic Fingers 
#1 ·
I'm at wit's end trying to figure out where this metallic rattling sound is coming from.
It sounds like a heat shield aluminum rattle sound.
I removed the exhaust system to check for anything loose and rust. That looked fine.

No it's not the alternator or valves. Been there and tested it!

The noises only occur when the motor is running, so it's not the speedometer!
The noises are not solid noises, so it's probably not inside the motor.
If I can try to describe the exact sound I'm getting. Picture a piece of sheet metal or flattened out pop can and shake it inside a steel box.
Just wondering if anyone else has had experience with this sort of problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
(Toronto, Canada)

#2 ·
Your description sounds just like a broken baffle inside the exhaust muffler or inside the exhaust chamber. The mufflers are pretty easy to check; just remove one at a time and shake. It should rattle if it's bad.
The exhaust chamber isn't as easy to get to. One way to test it is get a rubber mallet and tap hard on the bottom. Listen for any rattle.

Sometimes you can tap the mufflers to hear a rattle but that doesn't always work.

Another test would be get a mechanics stethoscope, have someone rev the engine till the rattle is loudest. Then use the stethoscope on various places where you think the rattle originates.

#11 ·
This is a great point too. They can get so brittle that they will break on impact with the floor.

Tim

#4 ·
I had a similar noise on my 98SE, Eventually traced it to timing belt tensioners, When I removed them, and spun the bearings, they sounded and felt good. Then clamped the mounting plate in the bench vice and spun them whilst listening with a engine stethoscope, they sounded terminal. Installed new ones and all ok.

Worth checking

Steve

#5 ·
I don't think the noise is inside the motor and it's not coming from the front of the motor.
Noises are like a metallic plate sound coming from under the motor at the rear....

#6 ·
Yeah, I had the entire exhaust assembly off recently.
I even inspected the collector box and shook it. No rust and nothing came out of it....
????

#7 ·
I had a rattle on the left side of my bike. It made a "clinkity clink" sound when the bike was revved or idling. It was not there when riding but would go nuts as I moved from 1st - 2nd. It was not constant and would come and go and pretty well drove me insane. Oh how I wanted to kick a cute puppy just for spite. It felt like you would feel if you had a dash squeak in a new car. It drove me completely into the deep end one day. I could not pin point it at all so I just started ripping into the bike.

What's more, I had just reassembled the bike from a complete teardown to the frame and replacing the engine (4th gear issue). I had only had the bike for a few months, did all this work over the winter and was eager to ride it as it was spring time at this point. I had no idea where this was coming from. It took about 3 weeks of going over everything to find it. I found it by accident when took the header off. I heard it as I set it down on my parts shelf. I snorted a bit out of my nose as I started to break down and cry. How was that for a description of my mental state! hahaha

The problem turned out to be a loose bracket in the chamber of the header. The spot-weld had let go and it now had movement. I cured the problem pretty quickly buy drilling out the weld with a 1/2 bit. I didn't drill through the bracket, only the chamber. I then drove a stick in the mouth of the header and jammed the bracket up in place. The bracket now "covered" the hole from the inside and I simply welded around the inside lip of the hole attaching the bracket back to the chamber.

No more rattling. All was right with the world. Knock on wood, the repair is still working well.

I have seen this two more times... both on a 91. One I fixed for a friend and the other was where I met a guy at a bike rally. We were talking about his bike. He mentioned something about an annoying rattle and I told him about my results. Later the next winter I got an e-mail from him and he said that rattle was exactly what I described. He fixed his as well.

Tim

Attachments

#9 ·
Wow thanks for that interesting tip my good friend!!!
I will give this a try for sure.
However I did have this left side manifold off recently and no bits came out, so I didn't think it was bad...

Steve
(Toronto)

#10 ·
There were no bits that came out of mine either. The part is naturally held in place loosely when the weld lets go. That bracket inside moves about 2-4mm around in there.

Tim

#12 ·
I just want to thank you for your help.
I was finally able to solve this noise mystery after many months.
I pulled the left exhaust manifold right off and sure enough, there was a loose broken weld when I took a look inside using the sun to light it up!
I forced it right over with a large flat head screwdriver and BINGO, no more noise!!!

I owe you one my good friend!
Steve
:grin3:

Reactions: Mr Magic Fingers
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.