Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moly 60 and O ring

1K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Bike...and Dennis 
#1 ·
Apologizes if this has been covered. Tonight I removed rear tire off 86 1200 to replace bearings and rebuild sticky caliper. For reassembly clymer page 336 calls for NLG1 no.2 grease with moly disulfide-pretty sure this is the Moly 60 I've read about for the splines but my searches only turns up Honda moly 77. A buddy who works a bmw dealer says they use BR 2 PLUS MOLYKOTE SPLINE LUBE and I also see Loctite 234227 LOC51048 Moly Paste Anti-Seize Compound online and a couple other options. What are you guys using and why ?

Also the manual says to replace o-ring on the base of the spline -anyone have a part # or source ?

#3 ·
The first time the drive splines were ever checked on my last `91 Aspencade was at 110,000 miles. They were still well coated. I just kept using the Honda 60 Moly paste after that. Once every 100,000 miles, and never a drive line failure yet. For awhile there, B.M.W. was having lots of troubles with drive line failures.
gumbyred

#4 ·
I just looked through my GL1200 manual and the only mention of Honda Moly was for the universal splines and head bolts.

For the final drive splines it's just the five dollar an eight ounce tube of NLG1 no.2 grease with some Moly which is what most of us have in our grease guns.

#6 ·
I've never seen Honda Moly 45 but their Moly 60 says 60% Molybdenum disulfide on the label.
The Loctite Moly Paste says 65% Molybdenum disulfide on the label.

Some question whether the percentages are by weight or volume but there's no question whether they have more Molybdenum disulfide than a tube of NLG1 no.2 Moly fortified grease.

#7 ·
specifications - or at least marketing tools - change over time, hence Moly-60 then 70 now 77

there is an oring on the outer portion of rear hub, The 1500s and probably earlier- also contain 2 orings inside the spline area,,to contain the special grease.
They are very small and the 3 cost under 10 bucks total

Good sense replaces those with every, or every-other rear tire change.
Failure can prevent the rear assembly from sliding together after tire replacement! Failure in-service, Im guessing would be bad- assuming Moly slid out from splines leaving them ungreased...

Thats how I learned about them, outer one was broken with end sticking up slightly- took a week to get the orings- so now I encourage all to replace them when rear tire is off the bike.

Well lubed splines slide apart next time and may cut down on spline wear ??
what do I know! Only what I read I the book and see in pics~

#9 ·
Only see 2 o rings on mine and mentioned in book and found parts
91302ma6-003 bigger one
91358mg9-003 smaller one
Found the same size ones but guy at NAPA said the rings he carries are for either gasoline or antifreeze and grease will make them swell. Doesn't make sense to me but to be safe I ordered OEM for 7 bucks total. Still debating on which moly to use. My good friend and mechanic laughed and said just use bearing grease.

#8 ·
Only see 2 o rings on mine and mentioned in book and found parts
91302ma6-003 bigger one
91358mg9-003 smaller one
Found the same size ones but guy at NAPA said the rings he carries are for either gasoline or antifreeze and grease will make them swell. Doesn't make sense to me but to be safe I ordered OEM for 7 bucks total. Still debating on which moly to use. My good friend and mechanic laughed and said just use bearing grease.

#10 ·
Im not a 1200 guy, 1500 has 3 so I based info on similar setups

2 go inside the spline hub and one much larger diameter but still small thickness on the other section of hub

If you plan to remove rear wheel and grease the splines every year = you could scrimp and install any bearing grease
OR
do it like Honda says with the right $10 stuff that will stay in place and lubricating for several years in a heated- often shifting movement area.

Anyone who had to hammer the wheel hub free of the interlocking splines.... will use the right stuff from now on!

#14 ·
I think my buddy was saying since the manual calls for NLG1 no.2 that equals most grease in grease guns these days. I will use one of the modern moly paste to be safe even though I can't see where Honda changed the spec or even says what to use now since moly 60 is no longer made.

#15 ·
I think my buddy was saying since the manual calls for NLG1 no.2 that equals most grease in grease guns these days. I will use one of the modern moly paste to be safe even though I can't see where Honda changed the spec or even says what to use now since moly 60 is no longer made.

#16 ·
f5guy

Every time you post, Two Posts show up.

Are you using a desktop/laptop PC, or do you have a cellphone?

I need to know what is happening here, double posts are not good for the forum.
I have IT staff looking at your posts already, and now another double post shows up.

If your Internet Connection is slow, and you have clicked on SUBMIT, please do NOT click on it again.... it does work the first time, every time. Just wait for it to show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.