Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad ignition switch? 92 GL1500.

5K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  redwing52 
#1 ·
I turned the key off on my 92 gl1500 and the lights stayed on. Start button didn't work with key off. I had to disconnect the battery to kill the power. I'm thinking bad ignition switch.
How hard is it to replace? :frown2:

#3 ·
Check the relay like Dave says. If you end up needing one I've got one available with locks & keys. PM me if interested.

#4 ·
Not hard really time consuming more than anything.

From ALEX BERECZKY thanks again Alex!

1) Remove the front housing (eg the Front fairing and dash)
2) Hammer a Chisel into each of the two bolts holding the ignition switch, then usal the chisal to Turn (eg Unscrew) the bolt --The bolts are the "anti-theft" type, hence this unusual method of removal.
3) Replace with new bolts... I believe they come with hex-heads, that snap off after reaching the proper torque. Myself, I'd just use normal socket head allen bolts.

#15 ·
While you have the #3 relay out use a test light to check for power . Again with the relay removed probe the socket terminals (holes) for power. Only one should have power with the key off. Two should have power with the key on. If you have power with the key off on more than one terminal it might well be the ignition switch. Don't jump right to that just yet as it is a fairly difficult job. Check back for more help.

#24 ·
Alright, I was with Dave, then I wasn't, now I am just confused. I tried to find a path for the power to flow from the #3 to the dimmer power and it seems the diode should block the path. I'm not doubting there is a path but with all the spaghetti I can't find it. Now I have a headache and quit. Help me please.

#25 ·
Bad Ignition Switch

Relay # 3 always has "load" voltage (even with the ignition OFF).

If the relay # 3 was stuck in the closed position (or if the load and trigger pins were shorted together), there would be voltage on the black trigger wire.

If the Relay # 3 (black trigger wire) has voltage, it will go to the # 12 head relay 5-amp fuse, then from there to the starter/reverse switch (brown/red wire, connector then a brown/white wire), then to the dimmer switch (blue/white wire). The dimmer switch will activate the head light relays # 4 and # 8 depending on the setting.

No diode involved..........!

QUOTE=redwing52;4766201]Alright, I was with Dave, then I wasn't, now I am just confused. I tried to find a path for the power to flow from the #3 to the dimmer power and it seems the diode should block the path. I'm not doubting there is a path but with all the spaghetti I can't find it. Now I have a headache and quit. Help me please.[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.