Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Speed Bleeders

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Aloha Tom 
#1 · (Edited)
Are they worth getting? How do they work?

#6 ·
they make short work of manual 1 man bleeding the brakes. If you already have a vac pump bleeder system = you are set

Tip for those using stock bleeder nipples- remove them and add a little bearing grease to the threads, install
That will seal the threads nicely when bleeder is open and not allow any air issues.

#8 ·
I have a mighty vac that I use to bleed the brakes. The speed bleeders sound easy. I wonder if they ever fail. Hate to be going down the road and they shoot brake fluid out when I try and stop.

#12 ·
Dave and John-Im calling you guys out!!

If you were not so quick to try and dismiss and counter my comments- you might find what I said had no mention of using vac pump WITH speed bleeders

Only said that those with stock bleeders (and presumably HFT $20 vac brake bleeder kit) may want to use a little grease to seal the bleeder nipple threads.
Simple

Actually if you read the print on speed bleeder box it shows extra sealing material of some type on the threads- air leakage back in via the threads would be bad~

I dont know how you had a problem with vac in years past- unless the nipple threads needed a little sealing grease!!
Its a perfectly safe and effective method of drawing fluid out, close nipple -empty catch can and refill master- open bleeder and pump vac handle a few times to generate suction

to be clear: I am talking about hooking drain line/suction-vac hand pump to the caliper = thereby drawing fluid DOWN the lines and out.

If one does not own said vac device- for about the same price you can buy speed bleeders!
Guess it depends on how much you like squeezing the lever or pumping foot pedal versus a few squeezes for the vac pump/suction device~

#14 ·
Dave and John-Im calling you guys out!!

If you were not so quick to try and dismiss and counter my comments- you might find what I said had no mention of using vac pump WITH speed bleeders
Sorry, I did fail to read and comprehend your statement. Still don't like vacuum bleeders though.
I do bleed brakes like you would with speed bleeders, just don't need them.

#13 ·
I have installed the speed bleeders on my 1995 gl1500se and her 1985 honda shadow vt700c. They really do help to make changing the fluids a quicker operation (IMHO). I was glad I spent the $ to purchase them. I now know that I will gladly change the fluids on a annual basis. No I'm not a mechanic, and I don't play one on TV.

#18 ·
I'm not saying they are not a good thing, they are, but by the time you get them installed on an 1800 I already bled the brakes a couple of times.
Power Guy, as to your original question of how they work? They are simply a bleeder screw with a check valve inside. When you pump the brake, fluid goes out but is blocked from coming back in.

#20 ·
They will and you will love them!

Tim

Reactions: Power Guy
#22 ·
When they are open 1/4 turn they are a 1 way valve going out
When closed they are just like any bolt sealing a hole

The extra sealing material on their threads is for when they are open for draining = they dont have any air gap/leak.

For regular bleeders using a hand powered suction or even the hft $5 1 man bleeder bottle, a bit of bearing grease on the bleeders threads ensure a good air seal while they are open

The only people who dont need to use this grease are doing a 2 person pump and hold- open bleeder- close bleeder method
Since they close bleeder each time there is no backwash

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.