Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clutch/clutch lever adjustment

3K views 49 replies 9 participants last post by  Fred Demmon 
#1 ·
99 SE 62k miles
On my 1st "real" ride on this bike, I noticed as I was turning around in the driveway that the clutch would grab right of the handlebars. No real play before I would get engagement.
Rode a few miles and turned around to come home and at a stoplight with lever all the way against the bars it was creeping forward and the only way it stop the bike from creeping forward was to hold the brake.
I further noticed that the shifts were a bit harder than they should be between gears. Kind of like the clutch wasn't fully disengaging.
Also while running is is near impossible to find neutral.
Engine off, finding neutral is a breeze

Thanks in advance for the help

#11 ·
Honestly, not sure how to answer.

Seemed like it should have a little more travel before clutch starts to grab.
I went for a ride (3-4 miles) realized I didn't have my phone. Was afraid of having issues since I'm not familiar with the bike, so I turned around. Stopped at a traffic light and that's when I realized it was creeping forward with lever against handle bars. Had to apply brake to keep from going forward.
Returned home and that's when I realized I couldn't get it in neutral while running.

#14 ·
Bushing is not obviously oval where it goes into the lever, but has slight slop when I use pushrods to wiggle it while in the lever

Bushing bore where pushrod sits is not obviously oval, but does have some side play

Bushing had a lubricant on it. Possibly done recently, or could have been there a while

#16 ·
Hallo Fred Demmon

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

#18 ·
Ok
My off days are Monday/ Tuesday.
Can't get any parts on Monday. so..... I pulled the lever and put a .040" nylon shim in the bushing under the plunger. Thought I would see if this made a difference in the clutch engagement travel.
Went for a ride and it made a noticeable difference.
I can shift in to netural with ease while sitting still or rolling.
Clutch lever travel now starts to grab 1/2-3/4 of an inch off the grips.

Thoughts?
Does this confirm a bushing?
Does this confirm a bad M/C

#21 ·
As your bushing is not yet worn through that is not the problem.

It could be air in the lines though. I've found that if the fluid level drops to the centre of the sight glass I get air in the lines.

Take your shim out as that may cause the return hole to be blocked. With the bike on the centre stand and bars turned to the right, pump the lever and see if the engagement point changes.

#24 ·
Ken
I'm new here, but not to goldwings. Also fo have some basic mechanical knowledge
Trying to understand your advice.

If the shims I installed have allowed the clutch to work as it should, I'm not understanding how it could have air in the line.

What hole will the shim block?
The shim is located between the master cyl pushrod and the round brass bushing

#25 ·
There is a tiny bleed back hole in the bottom of the reservoir.
If your shim has pushed the piston beyond that hole then when the clutch fluid heats and expands it will push on the clutch slave cylinder possibly causing the clutch to slip.

#31 · (Edited)
OK
Replaced the bushing and it felt better.

Today was the first time I have gotten a chance to ride it.
Drove to the High School to watch my daughters Volleyball game (a mile and a half)
Left there and picked up my son from Jr High school. (2-3 miles)
Clutch felt a little weird on the beginning of the ride home. 3/4 of the way traffic got heavy. I went to stop and bike died (clutch was not working at all)
Waited for traffic to move up and started in gear and was able to get it home.

Got to the house and no clutch. Pumped it a few times and it was working like the beginning of the ride.
Fluid was just above half way on the sight glass.
Filled it all the way up but can't show any more attention right now, need to take son to football practice
Suggestions?

#40 ·
So, I filled the clutch master cyl. Turned bars all the way to the right to get master at its highest point. Zip tied the clutch lever all the way in and left it over night.
Today the lever felt better than it ever has. Felt hydraulic pressure just after the initial pull. Went to get son from school,then we went for a short ride. As the ride progressed, the clutch hydraulic feel got weaker, so we headed home. The last mile, the clutch was not working at all.
Damn scary trying to stop, and start in gear. Especially carrying an 11year old
Have decided not to carry any passengers till it is fixed.

HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.