Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

No start condition '93 GL1500

2K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  redwing52 
#1 ·
Hi all I have a friend with a 93 1500 with a no start condition. It cranks well, apparently no spark at all. I checked the ignition fuse and it was good. Next is the ignition relay which is next to fuse block on the left side of bike. How does one get into the relay block, by removing the seat? Any other ideas on posible cause of no start?
Thanks

#2 ·
remove the side covers to access relays.
If no owner book in hand, ck our diy or the ones at www.goldwingdocs.com Those have really detailed instructions with pics-- so you dont break any delicate tabs off the covers- thats a pain to repair.

Please go to the FUN section of this forum and post replies to several jokes,say hi etc
You will have 15 post in 5 minutes and then gain full access to the site, be able to PM members- someone will come help-
give as much detail as you can in the tech post for help.

Post your problem in the regular tech problems section instead of trikes
More people see the general area, title details help- `93 1500 no start` will get the most looks and actual help

Search or scroll for No Start, there are plenty of those threads
Most common things are the kill switch failure or dirty inside that switch, or its just in the OFF position
That it cranks is a good sign, any idea how long since it ran, any info on last thing that happened?
any repairs done just before... or since as diagnosis?
Every bit helps and cuts down on request for said info - that lets the smarter members put together a theory
and list of procedures for you

No spark at the plugs?

#3 ·
HI Joen,

Welcome to the forum! I'm not sure how it happend, but your question got posted in one of the niche forums ( Trikes, Trailers and Sidecars). Your query will get broader exposure if you post it again in the Technical forum, where many many more eyeballs will see it.

#5 ·
1993 GL1500 no start

Hi all I have a friend with a 93 1500 with a no start condition. It cranks well, apparently no spark at all. I checked the ignition fuse and it was good. Next is the ignition relay which is next to fuse block on the left side of bike. How does one get into the relay block, by removing the seat? Any other ideas on posible cause of no start? Thanks

#17 ·
Hi all well aprently it was the side stand switch we removed the left side chrome cover to check for spark. that must of moved the wires to that switch because it started and runs. Thanks to all for input much appreciated.. nice to know that we have a great group of people willing to help a fellow biker in need!!! well done by all...

#23 ·
The problem was definantly in the ignition circuitry the starter was operating as it should and the cranking was normal in every sense of the word. Plugs were not getting and power to ignite the gas... thanks again guys we appreciate it...

#24 ·
You might want to consider what the guys are talking about. This bike is a weird duck when it comes to battery issues. Never saw any like it. If the battery is just a little (little) weak it will crank like crazy. You think the battery has lots of zip. The problem is the voltage has dropped below the threshold the ignition's needs. So you are basically cranking with the ignition turned off. When you release the start button inertia keeps the motor turning for a second and when the start button is released the voltage/spark come on and the engine starts.
That is why the guys are encouraging you to try short blasts with the starter next time. It doesn't even mean you need to throw the battery out. Just start the bike in a different way. I ran my bike a long time after the "no start" issue arose. Just used short blasts of the starter. A second or two at a time. If it doesn't go the first time repeat the short burst process. Most times it started first time so it was no issue.

#25 ·
if you roll it longer than 4 seconds, it is a wasted expenditure of battery power.

you can take this little thought to the bank... it is true.

just get rid of the wet cell and install an AGM battery and be done with it forever.
it will always start while rolling over...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.