Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1800 final drive

1K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  Dodge 
#1 ·
How tough is it replace or lube a final drive and drive shaft on an 04 GL 1800. Mine was too noisy the other day after sitting for a couple of days and the weather was in the low forties. Could have been the trannie I couldn't tell for sure. What years of final drives will swap? I was thinking of a Trike leftover.

#4 ·
I think lubing the splines is a waste of time.. If you got noise, it's going to need more then grease.. How many miles do you have on the bike..
My drive shaft U joint went out at 109 miles, I changed out the final at the same time...

#6 ·
I had just over 90,000 on mine when the rear drive started sounding like a box of marbles rolling around. I had towed a trailer and 2 up for many long trips. Total of over 75,000 towing. Ordered a replacement rear drive unit from a trike builder in florida for $75 plus shipping. Putting the unit on was easy, I did it on a lift. Total time took about 3 hours because I took my time. I ordered another entire rear drive, disc brake, brake caliper and swing arm assy for $200 shipped from a different builder. If I remember right the difference between the years is in the drive shaft length and a single bolt hole you may have to drill out and tap for the ABS sensor to mount. No problem with the 2013 unit I put on my 2004.

Hardest part was getting the drive shaft lined up right when inserting it into the swing arm so it meshes with the end of the transmission.

Henry

#8 ·
Hardest part was getting the drive shaft lined up right when inserting it into the swing arm so it meshes with the end of the transmission.

Henry
I had the same drive shaft alignment problem.. Like putting a wet noodle in a key hole from 3 feet...........
Pieceacake, stand the driveshaft up and get the joint straight, wrap 2 layers of 3/4" masking tape around the joint, insert shaft. Don't worry about the tape, it won't hurt anything. You will need a rod of some kind to put in the end of the shaft to maneuver it with. I made a handle out of about 18" of a wooden broom stick, turned 1 end down to fit in the end of the driveshaft.

#7 ·
I had the same drive shaft alignment problem.. Like putting a wet noodle in a key hole from 3 feet...........

#10 ·
On my 1500 it went out at 200k. Both the input splines and the wheel hub.

#14 ·
You just need to find something that squirts oil up hill, Like your wife's turkey baster..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.