3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1984
Make: Honda
Model: GL1200 Standard
Question Stator install on GL1200

I purchased the Randakk's replacement stator. I'm seeking advice from anybody that has done this install themselves...

I've watched Steve's video on this and he makes it looks so easy. The sealing plug doesn't want to fit in fully, easy enough to fit the "circlip." I'm thinking of using some sort of clamp to assist. Ideas?

Also the stator itself does not just slide onto its hub (as shown in video). It is quite a tight fit. I checked the original one too and it's the same. It came off easy enough but would need some encouragement to go back on. I can get it started on the hub lip, just barely with a little grease. I can use slightly longer bolts than the original screws to pull it into place. Is this standard?

Again, any ideas and helpful suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks, JD
1984 Goldwing Standard (on my 2nd, owned one since new)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 12:52 PM
big PIA

Year: 1992
Model: GL1500
Garage
I had the same things when I installed it on my 84, as far as the plug I used a 3/8 socket ext and tapped around the plug to get it in and seated, imagine its tight so it seals better. I also tapped around the stator flange a little bit, not much to help it slide on until I could get the screw in enough to pull it on
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks MysticFour, for the vote of confidence! At least it's not just me!Thanks also for the idea to tap it in. JD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticFour View Post
I had the same things when I installed it on my 84, as far as the plug I used a 3/8 socket ext and tapped around the plug to get it in and seated, imagine its tight so it seals better. I also tapped around the stator flange a little bit, not much to help it slide on until I could get the screw in enough to pull it on

Thanks, JD

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 03:33 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 285,000 miles
Others here have said they filed out the hole a little to get the plug in. Maybe a small sanding drum on a Dremmel?
CrystalPistol likes this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 04:04 PM

Model: GL1200A Bike & GL1500SE/GTL Trike
Garage
I was gonna suggest Vaseline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
Others here have said they filed out the hole a little to get the plug in. Maybe a small sanding drum on a Dremmel?
Yeah, like just slightly soften and polish the edge of the hole?

'97 GL-1500 SE / Lehman GTL Trike
...( Candy Spectra Red )
'85 GL-1200 Aspencade
...( Vintage Red )
'74 Triumph T-150V Trident
...( It's a Triple )
NRA, VSPA, & GWRRA Life Member
"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Smile O-ring too thick?

So I tried tapping it in, with a 3/8" extension as suggested. While trying to get the circlip on it slipped out again. Good thing, as I noticed forcing it in damaged the O-ring. Then I compared the O-ring given with the Randakk's stator was much thicker than the stock O-ring (see picture). I later used the stock O-ring and it pressed in smoothly. Good thing I ordered an OEM O-ring for this!

Now that I have struggled with this overnight, I suggest buying the stock O-ring and then there should be no need to file out the opening!

(photo: stock O-ring on left, damaged Randakk's O-ring on right)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (44.4 KB, 11 views)

Thanks, JD
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 09:42 AM
Large Member

Year: 2000
Model: SE
Garage
When I did my Randakks I had the same issue with it being a tight fit. I just used slightly longer bolts to get it started-2 turns each to keep it even and then just finished with the original bolts in a circular motion until it was down all the way. didn't have an issue with the pigtail...
Bike...and Dennis likes this.

Wilmo
Rubber side down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
98063 miles as of 05122017

Other ride:
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400 (Maxi-Scoot)

You don't stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding!
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Question Timing belts tension?

A whole lot of work so far...
I love the posts where somebody does this job in 8 hours. I spent 8 hours alone just cleaning up parts!

Question re the timing belts. BTW, I bought Gates T070 belts for $15 each at O'Reilly's. I ordered them over the phone and they had them 7 AM the next morning.

How tight should these belts be? I have a tendency to over-tighten bolts and most other things. How can you measure tension on these?

Mine is a very low mileage '84 Standard (CA model with 24K miles). She cleaned up nice didn't she? All I used was Goop hand soad to clean the parts. And for the purists (I'm one too), I put one of the used valve covers I found in the picture. After this job is done I will install the stock covers. Thanks all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (162.7 KB, 29 views)

Thanks, JD
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 11:54 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 285,000 miles
Spring tension should be enough. If you suspect your springs are sprung, get some new ones.

http://shop.westernhonda.com/fiche_s...87&fveh=132543

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 02:10 PM

Model: 84&86 Interstates. 1996 1500 SE
Yeah I do. send it back to Randakk's. I installed one of their's last spring. It lasted 137 miles. They'd replace it ONLY after I'd tear it back apart, and send it back to them to test it. The argument I had with them over the phone was very unprintable. Yes, I do know how to use a voltmeter. I even went out and bought a new one to verify that my old one still worked fine. ( it's part of my tool kit that I carry in my bike now)

Poorboy here I come.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page