1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Overheating gl 1800

Hello everyone. I am from Argentina, I have a Gold Wing 1800, 2004 eight years ago and about two years ago I started with low speed overheating (20 miles). I changed the two radiators and fans (I put of 2006, bigger) the ECT sensor, water pump, thermostat and ECM, the operation of the fans as of factory. It improved a lot, in parade the temperature stays normal (in the middle of the marker) but climbing a hill starts the problem of overheating, it rises until it could reach the red, I do not leave it, I must stop and wait for it to turn the temperature. One query and one question: what else could be related to the fault, could be the IAC sensor? Six years no problem and then started this. That is my doubt please any suggestions will be welcome. Thank you very much.
Sorry for my English....

The gray-haired bikers do not get to that age of pure luck.
Well-trained reflexes are quicker than luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 08:58 AM

Model: GL1000 1975 K1+GL1800 2006 airbag(US-model).
"reach the red" is not overheating .
If the water boils it is overheating .

The winner is the man with most tools !
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 08:59 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Did you reverse the fans? The problem I find is when going between 15 & 20 mph with the fans running causes the temperature to go up. At below 15 the fans can force air through the radiators against the flow and above 20 the fans turn off so normal flow will do the job, it is just in that 15 to 20 range where a problem exists. Since I have not encountered this but 2 times I can remember I don't worry about it but if I did this sort of riding regularly I would reverse the fan direction.

Darksider #304 the force is strong in this one.
NRA endowment life member
Bright lights, protective gear and paying attention saves lives. Loud pipes just annoy the people behind you.
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow
[SIGPIC]

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 09:45 AM

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
What DaveO430 just said.

I also note you said "reach the red", and that is NOT overheating.
It is just approaching the point where the fans should turn on and pull the temperature back down.

But, if in a parade as Dave mentions, between 15-20 mph, the fans as OEM installed, blow forwards against the incoming air... the result is a stagnant "dear air" space and overheating can actually occur.

What you need to do, if you have not already, is:

.... Reverse the power leads to the Fan motors so they will blow towards the rear of the bike.

.... Reverse the Impellers on the Fan motors so that the curvature is again properly positioned to PUSH AIR. If you don't they will not be as efficient as they should be.

You might wish to just skip the 2nd step IF the reversed polarity to the motors gets the job done.

~ John

Join us for NASR10 "
SR10 "

Summer Rally #10 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 09:57 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post

You might wish to just skip the 2nd step IF the reversed polarity to the motors gets the job done.
I think it most likely would work just fine without turning the fan blades over.
AZgl1800 likes this.

Darksider #304 the force is strong in this one.
NRA endowment life member
Bright lights, protective gear and paying attention saves lives. Loud pipes just annoy the people behind you.
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow
[SIGPIC]
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Yes I already tried the inversion of the fans before placing the new radiators but it did not work. What I'm going to do is install a manual switch for the fans and I'll try again. I will inform you if cooling improves. It is a complicated fault the overheating of the 1800, especially when the ambient temperature is of 45 ° c (114 ° F) sometimes

The gray-haired bikers do not get to that age of pure luck.
Well-trained reflexes are quicker than luck.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 02:17 PM

Garage
holy Cow!!!

That is Phoenix, Arizona temperatures!!!

Very familiar with that, lived and worked there 20 years, and my Goldwings did not have any troubles...... but..... I never rode slower than Warp Speed either

~ John

Join us for NASR10 "
SR10 "

Summer Rally #10 at

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 06:54 PM

Year: 2007
Model: Goldwing GL1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post

I also note you said "reach the red", and that is NOT overheating.
It is just approaching the point where the fans should turn on and pull the temperature back down.
Hi,

I have been reading this thread with interest as I live and ride my GL1800 in a hot country...
I noted the above comment from AZgl1800 which got me thinking...

My temperature guage seems to work fine, I.E. the bike warms up and the guage needle rises and sits pretty much at the half way mark.
If I am in traffic the fans inevitably cut in - no problem, but - the temperature guage never moves from the half way mark...
Is it supposed to as per the comment above?
Do I have an issue with my guage?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 09:20 PM

Garage
Nope, nothing wrong with your gauge....

With my '98SE GL1500, sitting still on the center stand, I let it idle for two hours when I first got it trying to get some Sea Foam into the idle circuits and clear out the varnish from the PO having let it set for two years... "medical reasons"

On that particular bike, running down the road the gauge is about 1/2 way....

Idling it rose up about 3/4 quarter of the way and just stayed there, with the fans cycling.

No two bikes will have the same exact calibration between the sensors and the gauge itself.

That same '98SE though, in downtown Phoenix, Arizona on a 118* day will get right up there almost to the red mark with the fans running..... get out on the highway at 50 mph+ and it drops back to about 3/4 again.

during cooler months, it would run just below the 1/2 way mark.

~ John

Join us for NASR10 "
SR10 "

Summer Rally #10 at

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 09:23 PM

Garage
My current '02 GL1800 is a bit different, it has the well known dead air zone between 10-25 mph....
travel at about 15 mph in a head wind and it will get right up into the red zone... that is because the fans are blowing forwards against the wind... rather a stupid design...

but for me, that is not a worry, I never ride that slow anyway.

~ John

Join us for NASR10 "
SR10 "

Summer Rally #10 at

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page