7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Model: 2004 GL1800
Spring Oil Change Question

I always change the engine oil right before putting my Wing away for the winter. Except this year - just didn't have the time. When it's time to ride in the Spring, what's the best procedure for changing the oil? Warm the bike up and then drain it? Or just drain it cold, before starting the bike? TIA.

Paul
2004 Black GL1800A
1991 Cycle-Mate CM2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:02 PM

Model: 2012 GL1800 Red
Send a message via Yahoo to Wing-Rider
Always hot. Drains better.

All I wanna do is ride, ride, ride!....And enjoy every minute of it too! Used to own a GL1500!!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

That was my guess. Thanks.

Paul
2004 Black GL1800A
1991 Cycle-Mate CM2000

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:51 PM

Model: GL1200A Bike & GL1500SE/GTL Trike
Garage
I would not start up a cold bike just to warm it .... especially up there in Canada? That last time you shut it down when you parked it ... the then HOT oil settled as low as it will after the next shut down.

If you want to change oil and filter all in one 30 minute segment like before the ride this afternoon, then yes .... you'll need to after engine shut down while warm.

But if like mine, the bike (on center stand) or trike is parked where I'm gonna do my next change anyway, I'd much rather just get my drain pans out and pull the drain plug and filter and walk away for from it while we go to Costco or whatever ..... and come back the next day and put the plug in and a new filter and add oil. It's not like you are in a rush. The oil will drain every bit as much as it will hot, just slower.

And that's one less cold start up, less wear, no condensation in exhaust, etc. I wouldn't even connect the battery .... just hang a tag on it saying "NO OIL" until I finished tomorrow ..... or next week.

Just sayin' .........
flylow likes this.

'97 GL-1500 SE / Lehman GTL Trike
...( Candy Spectra Red )
'85 GL-1200 Aspencade
...( Vintage Red )
'74 Triumph T-150V Trident
...( It's a Triple )
NRA, VSPA, & GWRRA Life Member
"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm......that makes sense. Whenever I do an oil change I usually let the bike drain for a few hours, maybe overnight anyway.
CrystalPistol likes this.

Paul
2004 Black GL1800A
1991 Cycle-Mate CM2000
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:45 PM

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I try to get a almost decent day and go for a ride, then change it while it is warm.

but, the truth is, the old oil is still in it, and will stay there until spring time.
I am not going to start it up just to "warm it up", that is bad news.

It drove into the garage, all hot and bothered, and that is where it stayed when the wife got since back in August.
CrystalPistol likes this.

~ John

Join us for NASR10 "
SR10 "

Summer Rally #10 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:43 PM

Model: 2006 1800
Well I've always change my oil cold.. I figurer all the old oil has dropped to the bottom.. Starting it up just sends the old oil through the engine.. With oil viscosity it's light when it's cold and heavy when it's hot so the drain time is about the same.....
I don't think it's a big deal either way.......

Back to riding after a 30 yr lay off.. Started with a 86 Magna 750 on to a 02 Shadow 1100,99 Magna 750,91 ST1100, finaly a 93 Wing.. and now an 06 1800 Loven Life...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:11 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 285,000 miles
I read somewhere that oil can develop acids that may eat away at the internals, and that's why they say to change it before storage.

The reason they suggest warming the bike before changing oil is to get the crud and goo into suspension so it will drain with the oil.

redwing52 and Ken Bergen like this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:13 PM

Model: GL1200A Bike & GL1500SE/GTL Trike
Garage
Quote:
I read somewhere that oil can develop acids that may eat away at the internals, and that's why they say to change it before storage.
Sure, that's a truth .... and if it's time to change like at end of your season ..... but OP is past that point now .... but he can do it tomorrow ..... which is still better than 6 months from now.

Quote:
The reason they suggest warming the bike before changing oil is to get the crud and goo into suspension so it will drain with the oil.
I never heard that one.

You gonna start a cold bike to warm last season's dirty/acidic oil that is gonna drain the same this time as it did last time you shut it off hot just to get some last bit that is maybe fell out of suspension in the bottom of the crankcase .... with the hope being to get it suspended again maybe ???

If it's something up on the sides of the motor's internals, it's no more likely to get swept down below by a warm up than it was at end of last ride? If it's something that fell out of suspension in the bottom of the crankcase / trans floor, I think it likely the oil flowing out the drain will get a bunch of it anyway.

I think (IMHO) it far better to just do the drain if it's already cool .... and put in fresh oil & filter .... and then if you think you want to start it .... start it then with fresh clean oil and new filter which will filter that stuff out and fill all those galleys and passages with that pretty clean stuff.

The only reason for a warm up before change that I've ever heard is to speed the drain like "I want to change my oil now" so that cold oil isn't left slowly dripping from high places like it would if you just started it and moved a few feet to where you were gonna do the change without a complete warm up .... and because a start without thorough warming leaves condensation all inside the motor and exhaust as it never get's hot enough to eliminate it.

Unless I have some other reason to have the engine running .... like maybe I did just finish a ride (or drive if cage or mowing the yard if tractor, etc) .... I've always dropped it cold and allowed it a long drip time. There's always other chores.

Anyway ..... everyone has their habits, reasons, preferences, etc ....
.... and them's just some of mine.

Stay Warm Y'all!

'97 GL-1500 SE / Lehman GTL Trike
...( Candy Spectra Red )
'85 GL-1200 Aspencade
...( Vintage Red )
'74 Triumph T-150V Trident
...( It's a Triple )
NRA, VSPA, & GWRRA Life Member
"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:04 PM

Year: 1981
Make: GL1100
Model: Standard - under restoration
During the winter time I like to change the oil warm. It keeps my fingers warm.
redwing52 likes this.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page