3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Model: 1500 SE 1996
GL 1500 : second hand front brake disc

Hi everybody,

I have a 1996 GL 1500. My left side front brake disc (the one which operates with the rear brake disc) is approaching its wear limit.

I found on the net, here in France, an original Honda front brake disc which seems to be in state close to new (no sign of wear) and at a good price.

The only problem is that it is a right side front brake disc.

Comparing my two front brake disc, I see absolutely no differences between them two.

So do you think there could any problem mounting a right side front brake disc on the opposite side ?

Moreover, it seems to me that aftermarket front brake discs (for the GL 1500 or other bikes) are sold with no consideration for their side.

Thanks a lot in advance for your advices.

Good day to you all.

Guillaume
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:58 AM

Year: 2000
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500SE Euro Spec
According to partzilla parts catalog, left and right disks have different part numbers such as
45251-MT8-000 DISK, R. FR. BRAKE
45351-MT8-000 DISK, L. FR. BRAKE.

And they are only interchangeable between 1990-2000 models. You may want to check the model year of the part.

Since they have different part numbers there may be some differences, I don't know.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Model: 1500 SE 1996
Thank you for you answer Erdeniz.

The seller says his disc is for GL 1500 from 1990 to 2000, so it should fit my 1996 GL.

I am going to think about and see if any other member of the forum has an advice on this issue.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:27 PM
Certified Slacker

Year: 94
Make: Wing of course!
Model: 1500 SE
get a new set of EBC rotors and know it will stop!

Certified Slacker is suffering under the delusion of being an expert... We need more Voltage! IGOR- throw the 3rd switch!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Not the 3rd switch Master!!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:15 PM

Year: 1998
Make: Honda Goldwing GL1500SE
Model: GL1500SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineGoldwing View Post
Thank you for you answer Erdeniz.

The seller says his disc is for GL 1500 from 1990 to 2000, so it should fit my 1996 GL.

I am going to think about and see if any other member of the forum has an advice on this issue.
I've got a pair of brand new OEM discs in my garage still in their original bags and box and the Honda part numbers are as stated by Erdinez above. I've just had a good look at them and can see no differences between them other than the left-hand one has an 'L' printed into it. I wondered whether there would be a directional arrow but there isn't. Both say the minimum thickness should be 5mm so it doesn't seem to be anything to do with that either.

Honda also list two different part numbers for front brake pads 06455-MT8-405 (for the left) and 06435-MT8-305 (for the right) with only one side having a shim. This makes me think there must be some design differences between the two sides but for the life of me I can't see it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image.jpg (19.3 KB, 6 views)

GL1500SE \'98 and Harley Fatboy 2004
Previously:
Triumph Rocket Touring 2010
Honda Valkyrie 2002 (fantastic!)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:03 PM

Year: 75,83I,86SEi,93A,94SE
Model: 94SE 206000 miles
To the best of my knowledge , the difference in the rotor is the sweep of the vent holes drilled in the rotor. Personally I do not believe it would make a difference , but I am no Honda Engineer
redwing52 likes this.

Mike
NASSIR 1
NASSIR 6
NASSIR 7
NASSIR 8
NASR 10 planned
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:43 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 285,000 miles
Besides the sweep holes, I'd wonder if one might be slightly thicker from the mounting surface to the rotor itself.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 01:11 PM
Oh - THAT guy...

Year: 2000
Make: 1500
Model: SE
My first thought was the direction of the sweep holes, but it would not seem to matter which way they angled as they are not continuous grooves or something that direct water/debris away with wheel rotation.

Vote one for year-round riding! Austone Darksider PVT (Passenger Vehicle Tire)

Most recent Wing: 128k+ on the 2000 GL1500 SE (Just totaled) due to being rear-ended...
Current ride (for now) 2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Previous wings: '78GL1000, 13k mile '77 GL1000 (resto at home, neat story!), '81 GL1100 Interstate.
Previous non-wings: CB360T, Suzuki GS550L, Yamaha 650 spcl (first bike!), Silverwing 500, Yamaha Spectre 1100, VFR700F, CB900 Custom.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 01:36 PM
Certified Slacker

Year: 94
Make: Wing of course!
Model: 1500 SE
The purpose of slots on the sides of brake rotors is: to provide an escape path for expanding pad gasses being generated by the braking torque.

In EXTREME situations the outgassing from HOT-HOT pads can physically push the pads off the rotor- despite having your foot or hand buried!

Not a situation encountered in sane street riding, mountain fun maybe, Maaaayyyyybe
On the track, yep

Getting Your Groove On: 2 schools of thought- forward or backwards in relation to direction of travel ~,
Or is that mostly for show- as its not about cooling or dissipating heat- its an escape path

Note: A rotor clearly marked LEFT shouldn't need a directional arrow as well
Just because you all drive on the wrong side of the road over there.........

Certified Slacker is suffering under the delusion of being an expert... We need more Voltage! IGOR- throw the 3rd switch!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Not the 3rd switch Master!!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 04:34 AM

Year: 1998
Make: Honda Goldwing GL1500SE
Model: GL1500SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Tom View Post
The purpose of slots on the sides of brake rotors is: to provide an escape path for expanding pad gasses being generated by the braking torque.

In EXTREME situations the outgassing from HOT-HOT pads can physically push the pads off the rotor- despite having your foot or hand buried!

Not a situation encountered in sane street riding, mountain fun maybe, Maaaayyyyybe
On the track, yep

Getting Your Groove On: 2 schools of thought- forward or backwards in relation to direction of travel ~,
Or is that mostly for show- as its not about cooling or dissipating heat- its an escape path

Note: A rotor clearly marked LEFT shouldn't need a directional arrow as well
Just because you all drive on the wrong side of the road over there.........
I've just had another look at my new rotors and laid one on top of the other in the same position they would be on the bike i.e. outside edges facing out. The vent holes exactly match each other, which presumably is intentional to get their direction right, and the holes don't look like they have been drilled through at any angle. There are no vent grooves cut into the rotors. The thickness of each rotor is identical and the mounting holes exactly line up. The service and runout specification is stated as being the same for each side so they do look identical.

Maybe Honda marked one as "left" and had a different part number just for assembly line packaging purposes or maybe just for research purposes on which side sold more replacements if they wore out faster (because of the linked brakes influence). It is though for each person to make their own decision on whether to use them on opposite sides.

And Aloha Tom...you are exactly right, we do need directional arrows here as we do get confused between left and right. You drive on the right which we think is wrong and we drive on the left which we think is right!

GL1500SE \'98 and Harley Fatboy 2004
Previously:
Triumph Rocket Touring 2010
Honda Valkyrie 2002 (fantastic!)

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page