1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1981
Make: GL1100
Model: Standard - under restoration
JIm's 1985 GL1200I "The Diva"

I have been poking around this site for the last few months asking for help and advice about recommissioning my 1200. Many of you have responded with some well though out advice. Thanks for that. So to give back I wanted to post a journal about the Diva. Please comment, I can use advice and warnings from those who have gone before me. Don't expect this to be a fast recommissioning, I am mildly OCD and tend to get caught up in details. However I want this done and safely operational by summer.

I returned to riding last summer after being off bikes since 1997. My last bike before I married and had a child was a '81 GL1100 standard which I bought in 1982 and have put about 51,000 miles on. I still have it and started to restore it in'09. It is disassembled and a long term project. There is a truncated log about that bike on this site. That is another story and project and I fully plan to get into completing it after the Diva is done.

I stopped working on the 1100 in '15 because I had picked up a '72 CB450 and believed I could quickly get on the road. It took nearly two years to finish. I learned a lot about restoration and getting back into riding on a smaller bike was not a bad idea either. The 450 is great fun, but after doing a 240 mile day last July it left me pining for a bigger bike.

The same thought process came through and I realized I wanted an interstate. The 1200 appealed to me because of price, performance and value. The October-November time frame is difficult to sell bike in the Seattle area. On top of that I spend way too much time looking at Craigslist. I started seeing some decent Interstates for really cheap. I found this 1985 GL1200I for $500. My bride went with me to look at it and to her credit even after looking at the Craigslist posting she went into the seller's garage. The first picture is how I found her. The seller was past his riding years and very sadly decided to let it go. The story was the starter died and he started working to fix but got side tracked. The was back in '06. Most of the parts were with it.
Getting her home I gave it a bath (second photo) and put the big pieces on her. I felt pretty good when my bride came down and asked if I really paid
just $500 for it.

The fuel system is very gummed up and the brakes are not functioning. Along with that it will need a full service with new fluids all around including servicing the drive shaft. Santa brought me new Michelin Commander II tires. The first job was to clean the carbs. I put the Randakk's kit in them. The YouTube video is a slide show of the process. Next weekend I would like to get the timing belts done.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161023_134733_001.jpg (109.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 20161104_160039.jpg (135.3 KB, 42 views)
CrystalPistol likes this.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 06:56 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Any reason why you sought an interstate specifically instead of an aspencade?

Darksider #304 the force is strong in this one.
NRA endowment life member
Bright lights, protective gear and paying attention saves lives. Loud pipes just annoy the people behind you.
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow
[SIGPIC]
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 10:03 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 285,000 miles
Any reason you have '84 mirrors on your '85?

Why ain't we ridin'?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 10:06 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 285,000 miles
Oh, and do you have the fairing lowers?

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
Any reason why you sought an interstate specifically instead of an aspencade?
There were several reasons. I like analog clocks over a digital dash, there are fewer devices that can fail and the Aspencade is a few pounds heavier over the Interstate. I never forgave Honda for putting Craig Vetter out of business. In 1980 the Windjammer was a a better fairing and Honda made it difficult to buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
Any reason you have '84 mirrors on your '85?
That is the way I bought it. I didn't know there was a difference until you told me there was. I know you have the correct set and at some point I might want to get the correct ones. Is there a functional difference such as visibility between the two styles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
Oh, and do you have the fairing lowers?
I have all of the fairing parts and they seem to be in good condition. There maybe some small parts needed.

TY- Jim

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 09:54 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
With the 84 mirrors you can see your hands on the grips.
With the later mirrors you're probably looking over your hands.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 08:17 AM
mod-erator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPal View Post
There were several reasons. I like analog clocks over a digital dash, there are fewer devices that can fail and the Aspencade is a few pounds heavier over the Interstate. I never forgave Honda for putting Craig Vetter out of business. In 1980 the Windjammer was a a better fairing and Honda made it difficult to buy one.
The Honda goldwing is not the only motorcycle the vetter would fit & I think the Honda fairing and luggage was much better looking.

Bright lights, protective gear and paying attention saves lives. Loud pipes just annoy the people behind you.
2010 1800 pearl yellow
[SIGPIC]
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
The Honda goldwing is not the only motorcycle the vetter would fit & I think the Honda fairing and luggage was much better looking.
The Hondaline fairing in 1980 would fit everything from the GL1100 down to the GL500. It weighed twice as much as the equivalent Windjammer. Honda never really cared about weight until the VFR series in the late 80s. The rear tire on a '81 GL1100I riding two up with loaded bags is seriously overloaded. Today's tires are better today, but it atill very easy to overload the bike.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

New Cam Belts and Radiator Hoses

This weekend I got the new cam belts installed. I used NAPA parts. The timing belts are NAPA P/N 250070, The hoses were cut from a NAPA P/N 7733 radiator hose and the radiator cap in NAPA Balkamp 703-1695. Everything went OK except the upper hose. It didn't fit very well. The hose has a slight bend at the lower end. It doesn't go straight into the pipe on the engine. It can see that in the video. Tomorrow I will change the engine oil, fill the radiator with antifreeze and install a new airfilter.

For next week I'm planning to start working the hydraulics. I intend to start with the front brake and clutch master cylinders, both front brakes and the clutch slave. That should make up a pretty good weekend. The following weekend will be the back end. Bags will come off, the swing arm and gas tank will be removed for access. This will allow the rear shocks to get new oil, the drive shaft greased, new oil in the 90 degree drive, tires to be installed, the gas tank to the radiator shop, and the rear brake master and caliper to be serviced. That should get it to start up and test rides.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 05:50 AM
mod-erator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPal View Post
The Hondaline fairing in 1980 would fit everything from the GL1100 down to the GL500. It weighed twice as much as the equivalent Windjammer. Honda never really cared about weight until the VFR series in the late 80s. The rear tire on a '81 GL1100I riding two up with loaded bags is seriously overloaded. Today's tires are better today, but it atill very easy to overload the bike.
Yes but you could buy a 1100 standard or any of several other brands and outfit it with Vetter if you so chose, point is Honda did not corner the market. And yes even the GL1800 rear tire is easily overloaded.

2010 1800 pearl yellow
[SIGPIC]

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page