I have been poking around this site for the last few months asking for help and advice about recommissioning my 1200. Many of you have responded with some well though out advice. Thanks for that. So to give back I wanted to post a journal about the Diva. Please comment, I can use advice and warnings from those who have gone before me. Don't expect this to be a fast recommissioning, I am mildly OCD and tend to get caught up in details. However I want this done and safely operational by summer.
I returned to riding last summer after being off bikes since 1997. My last bike before I married and had a child was a '81 GL1100 standard which I bought in 1982 and have put about 51,000 miles on. I still have it and started to restore it in'09. It is disassembled and a long term project. There is a truncated log about that bike on this site. That is another story and project and I fully plan to get into completing it after the Diva is done.
I stopped working on the 1100 in '15 because I had picked up a '72 CB450 and believed I could quickly get on the road. It took nearly two years to finish. I learned a lot about restoration and getting back into riding on a smaller bike was not a bad idea either. The 450 is great fun, but after doing a 240 mile day last July it left me pining for a bigger bike.
The same thought process came through and I realized I wanted an interstate. The 1200 appealed to me because of price, performance and value. The October-November time frame is difficult to sell bike in the Seattle area. On top of that I spend way too much time looking at Craigslist. I started seeing some decent Interstates for really cheap. I found this 1985 GL1200I for $500. My bride went with me to look at it and to her credit even after looking at the Craigslist posting she went into the seller's garage. The first picture is how I found her. The seller was past his riding years and very sadly decided to let it go. The story was the starter died and he started working to fix but got side tracked. The was back in '06. Most of the parts were with it.
Getting her home I gave it a bath (second photo) and put the big pieces on her. I felt pretty good when my bride came down and asked if I really paid
just $500 for it.
The fuel system is very gummed up and the brakes are not functioning. Along with that it will need a full service with new fluids all around including servicing the drive shaft. Santa brought me new Michelin Commander II tires. The first job was to clean the carbs. I put the Randakk's kit in them. The YouTube video is a slide show of the process. Next weekend I would like to get the timing belts done.