7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1983
Make: Honda
Model: GL1100 Aspencade
Gl1100 Aspencade Resurrection

All right fellas I'm going to give you the lowdown and dirty. I just bought a 1983 Honda Goldwing aspencade. GL 1100. I bought it from a motorcycle dealer that buys used motorcycles at auctions. And apparently they got this bike from an estate sale. This bike only has 2200 miles. And is all original. I hooked a battery up to it everything works except for radio, And the clock is on at all times? Apparently the radio doesn't switch channels or the speakers don't turn on, I have no idea what the deal with that is. Apart from that I have the carburetors off right now, and I am cleaning them up real good , anything I need to look for? I have experience with multi carb setups from prior bikes like my CB 650 and kz750. The only thing after that, apparently I need to free up the calipers because they're frozen. What do you guys think?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 03:26 PM
CWN

Year: Pro 1500
Model: 40 years winging it
Looks great as I almost bought it myself. You get the bags with it ?

Calif Wing Nut 1976-2016 Gwoa 1976-Gwrra 353 1978 Life- Cwef 82-Agwa 84-Gwta 87-Cwc 90.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 03:34 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Before you do anything else change the timing belts, they are most likely the originals. I wouldn't even try to start it before changing them.
OldSchool_IsCool likes this.

Darksider #304 the force is strong in this one.
NRA endowment life member
Bright lights, protective gear and paying attention saves lives. Loud pipes just annoy the people behind you.
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow
[SIGPIC]

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWN View Post
Looks great as I almost bought it myself. You get the bags with it ?
Yep! Bags and everything. Paint is in good condition still as well. The guys that had it posted told me that they thought the starter was bad and it had back reg fees so they gave up on it. Long story short, it was hydrolocked on the 3rd cylinder with gas. I took the plugs out, and she turned over no problem after spraying gas everywhere. Obviously that's what prompted me to clean the carbs and lap the float valves. Has spark, has compression. Just waiting on some guitar strings to poke through some plugged pilot jets. I looked at the belts and they seem just as supple as new factory belts. Is there some type of Achilles heel with factory belts or something?

post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 04:43 PM

Year: 1999
Model: GL1500 Aspencade
Garage
the fuel pump diaphragm may need to be replaced too, there are some electric pump options out there. +1 on the new belts.

everything else probably just need some cleaning, check all the connections for the radio and use some contact cleaner on them.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:05 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sleezy View Post
. I looked at the belts and they seem just as supple as new factory belts. Is there some type of Achilles heel with factory belts or something?
They are 35 years old, that's 5 times the normal change interval. It's your engine, take the chance of ruining it if you want.

Darksider #304 the force is strong in this one.
NRA endowment life member
Bright lights, protective gear and paying attention saves lives. Loud pipes just annoy the people behind you.
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow
[SIGPIC]
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:14 PM

Model: 1998 S.E.
Belts have set a long time in one position. Chances are good that a belt will snap if you press your luck too far. Nice bike. I used to have one just like it.
gumbyred
big_sleezy likes this.

1998 Gold Wing S.E. with 216,536 miles
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:36 PM

Year: 1982
Model: Interstate
Goldwing engines are interfearance engines. A broke belt will lead to bent valves. For the price ($30-ish for both if you buy Gates or NAPA) and 2-3 hours of time are well worth the effort.

Something else to watch is the electrical connector next to the battery. Three yellow wires in and three yellow out. She doesn't have 'nuf miles for that connector to scorch yet, but do keep it clean and watch it.

The '83 was the first year for integrated brakes. The brake petal operates the rear plus the right front. The right lever works the left front. It's also the first year for anti-dive forks.

Radio issues might be the result of mice. For some reason, they find audio wires particularly tasty!

She sure looks minty! Keep 'er as showroom as you can, IMHO.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
big_sleezy likes this.

Bruce

Current Bikes:
---------------------
74 CB750 K4
77 CB550 K3
82 CM250C
82 GL1100 Interstate w/ Auburn Gemini (doublewide) Sidecar

Past Bikes:
------------------
What?? SELL a bike??

------------------
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lots of things. You've been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. Its having the right attitudes that's hard.

PGR since 2011
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Ok boys I appreciate all the input! I decided to heed the timing belt advice, they were pretty cheap and with the carb rebuild I'm some of the way there anyway with the teardown portion for the belt change. Got all the ports in the carb unplugged. The ac pump check valve was clogged so I basically boiled the bowl and the ac pump cover and heat cycled them and tapped on them with a wrench. They came free and I just rinsed all the schmoo out with some wd40. So carbs are good to go.

Two of the caliper pistons seem to have some gouges in them from the po or someone, looks like the calipers were stuck before and they used pliers to wring the pistons free. Can I just polish the gouges or should I just bite the bullet and get new caliper pistons?

Found a slow coolant leak coming from an o-ring from one of the crossover pipes underneath the carb. Is that common? I have those o rings on order as well as the gaskets for the cross over pipe housing if that's what you call them.

The bike has 700 in back reg, called the registration service today and they said I will get most of it waived because the bike is a "historic vehicle."

So far we are plugging right along. Any inquiries from you guys?

post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:12 PM

Model: 1998 S.E.
If you had your profile filled out so we knew where you are, maybe one of us could help out.
gumbyred

1998 Gold Wing S.E. with 216,536 miles

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page