Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gl1100 Aspencade Resurrection

9K views 61 replies 10 participants last post by  DaveO430 
#1 ·
All right fellas I'm going to give you the lowdown and dirty. I just bought a 1983 Honda Goldwing aspencade. GL 1100. I bought it from a motorcycle dealer that buys used motorcycles at auctions. And apparently they got this bike from an estate sale. This bike only has 2200 miles. And is all original. I hooked a battery up to it everything works except for radio, And the clock is on at all times? Apparently the radio doesn't switch channels or the speakers don't turn on, I have no idea what the deal with that is. Apart from that I have the carburetors off right now, and I am cleaning them up real good , anything I need to look for? I have experience with multi carb setups from prior bikes like my CB 650 and kz750. The only thing after that, apparently I need to free up the calipers because they're frozen. What do you guys think?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#4 ·
Yep! Bags and everything. Paint is in good condition still as well. The guys that had it posted told me that they thought the starter was bad and it had back reg fees so they gave up on it. Long story short, it was hydrolocked on the 3rd cylinder with gas. I took the plugs out, and she turned over no problem after spraying gas everywhere. Obviously that's what prompted me to clean the carbs and lap the float valves. Has spark, has compression. Just waiting on some guitar strings to poke through some plugged pilot jets. I looked at the belts and they seem just as supple as new factory belts. Is there some type of Achilles heel with factory belts or something?

#8 ·
Goldwing engines are interfearance engines. A broke belt will lead to bent valves. For the price ($30-ish for both if you buy Gates or NAPA) and 2-3 hours of time are well worth the effort.

Something else to watch is the electrical connector next to the battery. Three yellow wires in and three yellow out. She doesn't have 'nuf miles for that connector to scorch yet, but do keep it clean and watch it.

The '83 was the first year for integrated brakes. The brake petal operates the rear plus the right front. The right lever works the left front. It's also the first year for anti-dive forks.

Radio issues might be the result of mice. For some reason, they find audio wires particularly tasty!

She sure looks minty! Keep 'er as showroom as you can, IMHO.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Reactions: big_sleezy
#9 ·
Ok boys I appreciate all the input! I decided to heed the timing belt advice, they were pretty cheap and with the carb rebuild I'm some of the way there anyway with the teardown portion for the belt change. Got all the ports in the carb unplugged. The ac pump check valve was clogged so I basically boiled the bowl and the ac pump cover and heat cycled them and tapped on them with a wrench. They came free and I just rinsed all the schmoo out with some wd40. So carbs are good to go.

Two of the caliper pistons seem to have some gouges in them from the po or someone, looks like the calipers were stuck before and they used pliers to wring the pistons free. Can I just polish the gouges or should I just bite the bullet and get new caliper pistons?

Found a slow coolant leak coming from an o-ring from one of the crossover pipes underneath the carb. Is that common? I have those o rings on order as well as the gaskets for the cross over pipe housing if that's what you call them.

The bike has 700 in back reg, called the registration service today and they said I will get most of it waived because the bike is a "historic vehicle."

So far we are plugging right along. Any inquiries from you guys?

#12 ·
where exactly is the gouge damage you spotted? i am not familiar with that bike model caliper, but as far as i know there are two seals, one is just a dust seal and the other is the oil seal. if it clears the oil/brake fluid seal you will be ok. just polish it flat, you may even be able to fill it with epoxy like people do with damaged fork tubes and get away with it.

#13 ·
That's a hell of an idea. Fill with some epoxy use some 1000 grit sand paper then just polish it. Itll be lower than the oil seal. My only question on that would be if the heat from braking would break down the epoxy. Thoughts?

#15 ·
Two of the caliper pistons seem to have some gouges in them from the po or someone, looks like the calipers were stuck before and they used pliers to wring the pistons free. Can I just polish the gouges or should I just bite the bullet and get new caliper pistons?
You may be able to get away with polishing out the gouge... however... for $150, you can get new pistons, seals, boots, grease, crush washers etc for the caliper. I've used these guys before, several times, for seals, pistons etc for several different bikes (no affiliation other than a very happy customer) and love their product and service. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-HONDA-...301910?hash=item4b0c068856:g:EQ4AAOSwcLxYIj2k And since these are the brakes we're talking about... are you really willing to bet your life that an epoxy fix will do the trick? Just a thought... even if you go OEM, please replace the pistons/seals so you don't get a blow out when braking hard.

#18 ·
Buffed polished and waxed. Doing the belt change, and throwing the carbs on tomorrow, going to get her started. As I wait for my brake parts, going to buff, polish, and wax the tank and fairing. Friday I'll myself into some wiring. [emoji106]

#19 ·
That's going to turn out really nice. Glad you are not butchering it. You are going to put new tires on it before riding it I hope, and don't forget new valve stems. The ones on it may look nice but the same rule applies as the timing belts.

#20 ·
Damn, that's sexxy!!

#21 ·
The Wing must have been stored inside,we see so many with low miles but left outside for years and need a great deal of work just to get them going and the paint is ruined,great job so far.???
The 83 was my favorite 1100,I love the tall 5 th gear.

#23 ·
Alright boys, ended up getting the front brakes rebuilt and they work now. Went to put on the back caliper and right front and couldn't get them to bleed..Wtf?

Well I'm not an idiot, So I pulled off the rear Master cylinder, lo and behold it's plugged up tighter than a nuns cuπ+! It is chock full this aluminum oxide/brake fluid jello schmoo. Never seen anything like it. I'm going to head down to the hardware store and get a zerk fitting to put in the outlet port of the master, then I'm going to use some grease and a little hydraulic coersion to back that piston out. Wish a brother luck!

#24 ·
^^ Luck ^^

#34 ·
What carb? The slides were corroded to the slide housings. I dug them out, Scotch brighted the slides and housings ten finished them off with 1k grit wet sandpaper. They slide good as new, apart from some discoloration

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.